lockmat

Houston: Potential

354 posts in this topic

Just thought it'd be fun to post renderings of proposed projects that never happened or even conceptual ideas architects had for Houston.

Here's one to start off with. This must have been the proposed Deyarr project we hard about a couple years ago (per the link addy)

01.jpg

http://www.paulkweton.com/prof-projects/Deyaar-Mixed-Use/

For an old-school approach to this thread, there are always those many plans from the 80s to fall back on.

Here's a model of a lesser known project called Resource Centre/Houston. It was to have been a series of towers: 46, 36, 26 & 16 stories tall, with the smallest being a hotel and the rest being office space. 2 million square feet on 16 acres.

RCH.jpg

It would've been located east of what's now CityCentre, occupying the land that's now a large strip center.

Apologies for the quality since it's a copy from microfilm.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

Apologies for the quality since it's a copy from microfilm.

I rather like the 'quality'. It makes me realize that visions for Houston's future are not new, and that the progression the city has undergone was - at some time in the 'long ago' past - just a vision.

That gives me even greater hope for the future of the city, even if some of these visions (such as this one) didn't pan out.

Check these out - they're older threads so there are a lot of broken links...

Surprised this wasn't brought up earlier. The most famous non-building in Houston:

Bank of the Southwest Tower:

I didn't mention this because I still have hopes for it to be built! wink.gif

1 person likes this

I didn't mention this because I still have hopes for it to be built! wink.gif

It did get built. In Philly, twice!

1 person likes this

The most famous non-building in Houston

It may be the most famous, but it's certainly not the largest:

HoustonDomeDumb.jpg

Surprised this wasn't brought up earlier. The most famous non-building in Houston:

Bank of the Southwest Tower:

448911.jpg

http://www.emporis.com/application/?nav=building&lng=3&id=103046

This one was brought up several years ago. I remember commenting on the building being designed with a giant gyroscope on the top floor of the building to help control sway. The weighted gyroscope would apperrently move in the opposite direction of the wind force, thereby tourqing the structure. It would have been quite unique, from an engineering standpoint.

Here is the entry for "Southwest Center" in Houston's Gallery of Architecture (1984):

swcenter1984_001.jpg

swcenter1984_002.jpg

Far and away my favorite proposal was the 'Spirit of Houston'. This would have been a true landmark for the city.

67ntae.jpg

Far and away my favorite proposal was the 'Spirit of Houston'. This would have been a true landmark for the city.

Yeah, sure. Just like Treasures is landmark, but bigger and reflective...

1 person likes this

I never liked this proposal. I do like the idea of an 'iconic', large monument within the city, but not this one.

1 person likes this

The heavy rail proposal from the early 1980s. Probably would have been pretty big today.

Edited by Trae

Although I dearly wish the Bank of the Southwest Tower had been built, if it had by now it would probably be considered just another slightly tatty and dated 80s monument (albeit a good one). On the other hand, the 'Spirit of Houston' would have immediately and permanently become a world-famous symbol of the city. It would have been unique enough (with the possible exceptions of the Statue of Liberty and the Motherland Statue) to never really become dated.

Although I dearly wish the Bank of the Southwest Tower had been built, if it had by now it would probably be considered just another slightly tatty and dated 80s monument (albeit a good one). On the other hand, the 'Spirit of Houston' would have immediately and permanently become a world-famous symbol of the city. It would have been unique enough (with the possible exceptions of the Statue of Liberty and the Motherland Statue) to never really become dated.

Probably best it wasn't built then. Every single image I've seen for the it is hideous. I'd rather have the city associated with oil refineries than this thing.

1 person likes this

Anyone remember the arches that were supposed to be between midtown and downtown? Something about the gateway to houston...

1 person likes this

I was at a bookstore today and encountered a book titled Houston: Lost and Unbuilt by Steven Strom. It was published in 2010 by the UT Press.

About 2/3 of the book covers Houston landmarks which were torn down, but the rest shows the Houston that "could have been." Here are some excerpts from Google Books:

I didn't purchase the book, but I thumbed through the sections on 'Houston Unbuilt'. My favorite proposal shown is a pedestrian mall in front of the Second City National Bank. The caption indicates that a plaza in front of the NY state capitol is similar in design to the proposal.

More details on the book can be found here: http://www.utexas.ed...oks/strhou.html

Edited by Simbha

It's still amazing. I wish I could +rep it 1000 times

Ahh.. You're too kind.

Lockmat's opening post stated.. "or even conceptual ideas architects had for Houston." So I'm pretty sure my icon is qualified to be here.

Plus... it's a helluva lot more realistic than the downtown dome.

Anyone remember the arches that were supposed to be between midtown and downtown? Something about the gateway to houston...

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about those. Weren't the arches going to be made out of some greenish colored metal trusses (similar to the Eiffel Tower construction) standing over the Pierce Elevated? Years ago, I remember seeing the colorful renderings of them in either the Post or Chronicle! I believe this was around the same time some private foundation was proposing to build a waterway canal down one of the downtown streets...Prairie? I forget which one. I think the waterway was near the courthouse and was part of the original concept for the Cotswold Project in downtown. Once the city took over the project, the waterway was scrapped and instead many streets were redone, sidewalks widened and head-in parking spaces were built.

Edited by intencity77
1 person likes this

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about those. Weren't the arches going to be made out of some greenish colored metal trusses (similar to the Eiffel Tower construction) standing over the Pierce Elevated? Years ago, I remember seeing the colorful renderings of them in either the Post or Chronicle! I believe this was around the same time some private foundation was proposing to build a waterway canal down one of the downtown streets...Prairie? I forget which one. I think the waterway was near the courthouse and was part of the original concept for the Cotswold Project in downtown. Once the city took over the project, the waterway was scrapped and instead many streets were redone, sidewalks widened and head-in parking spaces were built.

I tried searching for these arches and couldn't find them. Anyone have pictures of these?