- - - - -

Houston: Potential

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#1 lockmat

lockmat

Jesus Christ, who takes away the sins of the world

• 9077 posts
  • HAIFing from Deep in the heart of Texas.
  •  

Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Just thought it'd be fun to post renderings of proposed projects that never happened or even conceptual ideas architects had for Houston.

Here's one to start off with. This must have been the proposed Deyarr project we hard about a couple years ago (per the link addy)

Posted Image

http://www.paulkweto...yaar-Mixed-Use/
  • "You know, the vehicle to improve the American city is the American corporation-that's where the money is." - Gerald D. Hines
  • "mixed-use only works if the retail component could stand alone." - paraphrase of Dinerstein Cos president Brian Dinerstein [Bisnow]
  • "apartments usually work where retail does but vice versa isn’t always true." - paraphrase of Hines director Kevin Batchelor [Bisnow]
  • Houston Developments Map (Last Updated on 4/23/13)

#2 lockmat

lockmat

• 9077 posts
  •  

Posted Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Indigo Park near Katy

http://www.hsmcommer...documentpdf.pdf
  • "You know, the vehicle to improve the American city is the American corporation-that's where the money is." - Gerald D. Hines
  • "mixed-use only works if the retail component could stand alone." - paraphrase of Dinerstein Cos president Brian Dinerstein [Bisnow]
  • "apartments usually work where retail does but vice versa isn’t always true." - paraphrase of Hines director Kevin Batchelor [Bisnow]

#3 Simbha

Simbha
  • 442 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM

"SouthPointe" - the former AstroWorld site (http://swamplot.com/...ark/2009-01-19/)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 ChannelTwoNews

ChannelTwoNews

Rose-Rich Native

• 1069 posts
  • HAIFing from No longer in Texas.

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM

For an old-school approach to this thread, there are always those many plans from the 80s to fall back on.

Here's a model of a lesser known project called Resource Centre/Houston. It was to have been a series of towers: 46, 36, 26 & 16 stories tall, with the smallest being a hotel and the rest being office space. 2 million square feet on 16 acres.

Posted Image

It would've been located east of what's now CityCentre, occupying the land that's now a large strip center.

Apologies for the quality since it's a copy from microfilm.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews, Friday, July 8, 2011 at 12:34 PM.

Posted Image
Greetings From The Air Capital... Wichita, KS

#5 Simbha

Simbha
  • 442 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Apologies for the quality since it's a copy from microfilm.

I rather like the 'quality'. It makes me realize that visions for Houston's future are not new, and that the progression the city has undergone was - at some time in the 'long ago' past - just a vision.

That gives me even greater hope for the future of the city, even if some of these visions (such as this one) didn't pan out.

#6 sevfiv

sevfiv
  • 7910 posts
  •  

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Check these out - they're older threads so there are a lot of broken links...

http://www.houstonar...nbuilt-houston/

------
-------------
-----------------------

www.facebook.com/archarchive

#7 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 451 posts
  • HAIFing from West Loop.

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Surprised this wasn't brought up earlier. The most famous non-building in Houston:
Bank of the Southwest Tower:

Posted Image

http://www.emporis.c...lng=3&id=103046

#8 Simbha

Simbha
  • 442 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Surprised this wasn't brought up earlier. The most famous non-building in Houston:

I didn't mention this because I still have hopes for it to be built! Posted Image

#9 infinite_jim

infinite_jim
  • 1182 posts
  • HAIFing from Downtown.

Posted Friday, July 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I didn't mention this because I still have hopes for it to be built! Posted Image

It did get built. In Philly, twice!

Architecture should have a responsibility to speak to the strengths of humankind, in the same way that men should have a responsibility to other men. In this way, architecture plays a moral role in our life. It is not just a protection, but an inspiration. - Tadao Ando

#10 Simbha

Simbha
  • 442 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM

The most famous non-building in Houston

It may be the most famous, but it's certainly not the largest:

Posted Image

#11 plumber2

plumber2
  • 1240 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Posted Image

http://www.emporis.c...lng=3&id=103046

This one was brought up several years ago. I remember commenting on the building being designed with a giant gyroscope on the top floor of the building to help control sway. The weighted gyroscope would apperrently move in the opposite direction of the wind force, thereby tourqing the structure. It would have been quite unique, from an engineering standpoint.

#12 sevfiv

sevfiv
  • 7910 posts
  •  

Posted Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Here is the entry for "Southwest Center" in Houston's Gallery of Architecture (1984):

Posted Image

Posted Image

------
-------------
-----------------------

www.facebook.com/archarchive

#13 Subdude

Subdude
  • 8692 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Far and away my favorite proposal was the 'Spirit of Houston'. This would have been a true landmark for the city.

Posted Image
"Foolery, sir, does walk about the orb
like the sun; it shines everywhere"

Real men don't say "veggie".

#14 TheNiche

TheNiche
  • Castaway
  • 14102 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Far and away my favorite proposal was the 'Spirit of Houston'. This would have been a true landmark for the city.

Yeah, sure. Just like Treasures is landmark, but bigger and reflective...

#15 Simbha

Simbha
  • 442 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I never liked this proposal. I do like the idea of an 'iconic', large monument within the city, but not this one.

#16 Trae

Trae
  • 5028 posts
  • HAIFing from Inner Loop.

Posted Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM

The heavy rail proposal from the early 1980s. Probably would have been pretty big today.

Edited by Trae, Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM.

#17 Subdude

Subdude
  • 8692 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Although I dearly wish the Bank of the Southwest Tower had been built, if it had by now it would probably be considered just another slightly tatty and dated 80s monument (albeit a good one). On the other hand, the 'Spirit of Houston' would have immediately and permanently become a world-famous symbol of the city. It would have been unique enough (with the possible exceptions of the Statue of Liberty and the Motherland Statue) to never really become dated.
"Foolery, sir, does walk about the orb
like the sun; it shines everywhere"

Real men don't say "veggie".

#18 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 451 posts
  • HAIFing from West Loop.

Posted Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Although I dearly wish the Bank of the Southwest Tower had been built, if it had by now it would probably be considered just another slightly tatty and dated 80s monument (albeit a good one). On the other hand, the 'Spirit of Houston' would have immediately and permanently become a world-famous symbol of the city. It would have been unique enough (with the possible exceptions of the Statue of Liberty and the Motherland Statue) to never really become dated.

Probably best it wasn't built then. Every single image I've seen for the it is hideous. I'd rather have the city associated with oil refineries than this thing.

#19 LTAWACS

LTAWACS

Resident Resident

• 5462 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Anyone remember the arches that were supposed to be between midtown and downtown? Something about the gateway to houston...

So fellow HoustonArchitecture board members, sit back and watch Atlanta and Dallas get all these cool projects while Houston sits stagnant! Welcome to Houston, the 4th largest joke of a city in America. The city with no efficient transit options (i.e. rail), no amusement park, 600 sq miles of ghetto, low density, car-centric, unplanned neighborhoods, lack of progress, and etc...

"so if one does not pay more for a house they are incapable of caring about their childs education......boy that is good to know " - TexasVines

#20 Highway6

Highway6
  • 3151 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.
  •  

Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I never liked this proposal. I do like the idea of an 'iconic', large monument within the city, but not this one.

My Lord, it would have been beautiful....

Posted Image

#21 Simbha

Simbha
  • 442 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I was at a bookstore today and encountered a book titled Houston: Lost and Unbuilt by Steven Strom. It was published in 2010 by the UT Press.

About 2/3 of the book covers Houston landmarks which were torn down, but the rest shows the Houston that "could have been." Here are some excerpts from Google Books:
I didn't purchase the book, but I thumbed through the sections on 'Houston Unbuilt'. My favorite proposal shown is a pedestrian mall in front of the Second City National Bank. The caption indicates that a plaza in front of the NY state capitol is similar in design to the proposal.

More details on the book can be found here: http://www.utexas.ed...oks/strhou.html

Edited by Simbha, Monday, July 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM.

#22 20thStDad

20thStDad
  • 2373 posts
  • HAIFing from No longer in Texas.

Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM

My Lord, it would have been beautiful....

Posted Image

It's still amazing. I wish I could +rep it 1000 times
Don't litter.

#23 Highway6

Highway6
  • 3151 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.
  •  

Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM

It's still amazing. I wish I could +rep it 1000 times

Ahh.. You're too kind.

Lockmat's opening post stated.. "or even conceptual ideas architects had for Houston." So I'm pretty sure my icon is qualified to be here.
Plus... it's a helluva lot more realistic than the downtown dome.

#24 intencity77

intencity77
  • 122 posts
  • HAIFing from East End.

Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Anyone remember the arches that were supposed to be between midtown and downtown? Something about the gateway to houston...

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about those. Weren't the arches going to be made out of some greenish colored metal trusses (similar to the Eiffel Tower construction) standing over the Pierce Elevated? Years ago, I remember seeing the colorful renderings of them in either the Post or Chronicle! I believe this was around the same time some private foundation was proposing to build a waterway canal down one of the downtown streets...Prairie? I forget which one. I think the waterway was near the courthouse and was part of the original concept for the Cotswold Project in downtown. Once the city took over the project, the waterway was scrapped and instead many streets were redone, sidewalks widened and head-in parking spaces were built.

Edited by intencity77, Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 12:46 AM.

#25 lockmat

lockmat

• 9077 posts
  •  

Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about those. Weren't the arches going to be made out of some greenish colored metal trusses (similar to the Eiffel Tower construction) standing over the Pierce Elevated? Years ago, I remember seeing the colorful renderings of them in either the Post or Chronicle! I believe this was around the same time some private foundation was proposing to build a waterway canal down one of the downtown streets...Prairie? I forget which one. I think the waterway was near the courthouse and was part of the original concept for the Cotswold Project in downtown. Once the city took over the project, the waterway was scrapped and instead many streets were redone, sidewalks widened and head-in parking spaces were built.

I tried searching for these arches and couldn't find them. Anyone have pictures of these?

#26 LTAWACS

LTAWACS

Resident Resident

• 5462 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I never saw green ones... i did see white ones and i think they were supposed to be made from ivory or the like. :) lemme see if i can find the,

So fellow HoustonArchitecture board members, sit back and watch Atlanta and Dallas get all these cool projects while Houston sits stagnant! Welcome to Houston, the 4th largest joke of a city in America. The city with no efficient transit options (i.e. rail), no amusement park, 600 sq miles of ghetto, low density, car-centric, unplanned neighborhoods, lack of progress, and etc...

"so if one does not pay more for a house they are incapable of caring about their childs education......boy that is good to know " - TexasVines

#27 LTAWACS

LTAWACS

Resident Resident

• 5462 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 3:57 PM

It'll have to wait until i can get to another machine. However, it was in the Main Street Corridor Master Plan from some time ago... i have a copy of the entire thing somewhere....

#28 Urbannizer

Urbannizer
  • 2653 posts
  • HAIFing from Austin.
  •  

Posted Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Six, additional design proposals for the Bank of the Southwest Tower! By Helmut Jahn.

Posted Image

Edited by Urbannizer, Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM.

#29 TheNiche

TheNiche
  • Castaway
  • 14102 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Six, additional design proposals for the Bank of the Southwest Tower! By Helmut Jahn.

It was as though they went out of their way to choose the ugly one.

#30 lockmat

lockmat

• 9077 posts
  •  

Posted Saturday, July 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I really like this "could been" design for a UH dorm:

Posted Image