50-Story Hotel East Of Austin Convention Center

The Pragmatist

In the article they're stating how they still need to study if Austin can support two convention hotels, but dang, yes I'm jealous. A 50 story hotel?! What is the tallest (or biggest in square footage) that Houston has? Is it anything even close?Edit, I found out. It's the Hyatt in downtown at 30 stories. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_Houston

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Luxury brand Fairmont to Operate 2nd Downtown Convention Hotel

LD5NW.jpg

Luxury management company Fairmont Hotels & Resorts will be the operator for a $350 million convention hotel planned for downtown, making Austin only the second Texas city to feature the famed brand, the company told the American-Statesman on Tuesday.

Fairmont said it will manage the 50-story, 1,000-room hotel for which Manchester Texas Financial Group plans to break ground early next spring, with a projected opening in 2015. Manchester will build its hotel — to be named the Fairmont Austin — on land that is now a parking lot at East Cesar Chavez and Red River streets just east of the Austin Convention Center.

At 580 feet, the hotel would be the second-tallest building in Austin's skyline, after the 56-story Austonian.

http://www.statesman.com/business/real-estate/luxury-brand-fairmont-to-operate-2luxury-brand-fairmont-to-operate-2nd-downtown-convention-2382129.html?viewAsSinglePage=true

Its a CONVENTION hotel? Too bad Houston builds short squatty ones.

How tall will this be? I like the design. Reminds me of Trump tower in chicago.

Any bets on when Austin will surpass Houston as the largest city in the state?

How tall will this be? I like the design. Reminds me of Trump tower in chicago.

Any bets on when Austin will surpass Houston as the largest city in the state?

581 ft. to the roof and 700 ft. to the top of the spire.

Totally jealous of this one. Fairmont is an outstanding brand and I am loving the 60s throwback architecture and height of the actual building. Downtown Austin is on fire. Wish downtown Houston could catch some of the hotel love shown to Austin. As of now, their downtown has the following that Houston lacks;

Hampton Inn and Suites (our downtown needs a midlevel national brand badly)

Hilton Garden Inn (see above comment)

Holiday Inn Town Lake (see above comments)

La Quinta (again, see above comments)

Intercontinental Hotel (the one we have by the Galleria is changing brands)

Omni Hotel

Radisson Hotel and Suites

Sheraton Capitol

W Hotel

Fairmont (and 1,000 rooms too!)

So jealous of the towers Austin has been putting up. Makes me hope that the next convention center hotel in DT Houston isn't the same boring box as the Hilton. The Embassy just looks worse in every picture I see it in.

Totally jealous of this one. Fairmont is an outstanding brand and I am loving the 60s throwback architecture and height of the actual building. Downtown Austin is on fire. Wish downtown Houston could catch some of the hotel love shown to Austin. As of now, their downtown has the following that Houston lacks;

Hampton Inn and Suites (our downtown needs a midlevel national brand badly)

Hilton Garden Inn (see above comment)

Holiday Inn Town Lake (see above comments)

La Quinta (again, see above comments)

Intercontinental Hotel (the one we have by the Galleria is changing brands)

Omni Hotel

Radisson Hotel and Suites

Sheraton Capitol

W Hotel

Fairmont (and 1,000 rooms too!)

Does Austin have another destination area besides downtown? Houston's downtown has a lot of competition, Galleria, Kirby, Energy Corridor, Med Center, Woodlands etc etc

Depending upon what type of destination you are looking for - I know there are a lot of tech companies up around the intersection of I-35 and Highway 183 in the north part of Austin. It's kind of like our Energy Corridor except for Austin's tech group. I think out towards the west side there is a fairly large area of office buildings - Bee Cave Road, Highway 360 etc.

But Austin has a lot of hills and aquafer recharge zones where no building can take place. That helps to concentrate downtown and I think is helping them to go vertical quickly.

Wasn't there an rule or gentleman's agreement that no building downtown could be taller than the capitol? I think that once that was broken also - there has been a rush of pent-up demand.

That is a nice-looking hotel.

Depending upon what type of destination you are looking for - I know there are a lot of tech companies up around the intersection of I-35 and Highway 183 in the north part of Austin. It's kind of like our Energy Corridor except for Austin's tech group. I think out towards the west side there is a fairly large area of office buildings - Bee Cave Road, Highway 360 etc.

But Austin has a lot of hills and aquafer recharge zones where no building can take place. That helps to concentrate downtown and I think is helping them to go vertical quickly.

Wasn't there an rule or gentleman's agreement that no building downtown could be taller than the capitol? I think that once that was broken also - there has been a rush of pent-up demand.

That is a nice-looking hotel.

Basically I am speaking of any place that might compete for mid/high-rises.

Hotel competition for downtown Austin would include;

1) The Domain-Arboretum area in NW Austin. This is Austin's Uptown/Galleria area. The Domain shopping complex is home to an Aloft (W brand) and a Westin Hotel. There's also an Embassy Suites, Renaissance Hotel, Holiday Inn, and all of the mid-lower level brands you can think of (La Quinta, Staybridge, Hyatt Place, Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, etc...)

2) The resorts. From Hyatt's Lost Pines in Bastrop to Horseshoe Bay Resort on LBJ to Lakeway on Lake Travis and Lake Austin Resort and Spa. Think Woodlands Resort and Conference Center and the Hilton in Clear Lake for examples.

3) The I-35 North Corridor starting near UT and heading up to 183 I believe. There's a Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, and Ramada among all the other brands like LaQuinta, Travelodge, Drury Inn, etc...

4) Round Rock- Austin's Woodlands. A city with about 100,000 just North of town with a Marriott and Holiday Inn and all the mid-lower level brands as well

5) Airport- Stretching from the airport to 71 South near Congress, you'll find a Hilton, Courtyard by Marriott, Marriott South Austin, Wyndham Hotel, Omni Southpark, Hampton Inn, a couple of LaQuintas, a Residence Inn, and more

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a rush of Austin as a national feel-good destination. Austin's office market is still low-rise, as you would expect from tech and institutional tenants; and its downtown office market, its office building skyline and its metro area are still smaller than Fort Worth's. Hospitality and residential are the accumulated demand, and they're not pent up from longtime Austin residents but the recently interested. The real pent-up demand is among institutional investors for real estate projects to invest in in a place with good fundamentals like Austin.

• 10 months later...

Groundbreaking set for October.

Two more hotel projects to break ground in downtown Austin

Downtown Austin observers have had their eyes peeled on the intense construction activity at the JW Marriott hotel site, now sporting three massive tower cranes.

But soon the skyline will be punctuated with new tower cranes, as two more hotels are preparing to break ground in the next six months. Developers of the proposed Hotel Van Zandt in the Waterfront District and the Fairmont Austin nearby confirmed that they are moving ahead with construction. The announcements were made at the monthly breakfast gathering of the 
Urban Land Institute’s
 Austin chapter.

____

A short distance away at Red River and Cesar Chavez streets, Manchester Texas Financial Group LLC is planning to break ground in October on the Fairmont Austin,
a 50-story, 1,000-room hotel that will be the second highest building in the city
 behind
The Austonian
 condominiums.

It’s scheduled to open in June 2016, about a year after the 34-story, 1,000-room JW Marriott is delivered.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/real-estate/2013/02/two-more-hotel-projects-to-break.html

• 10 months later...

go austin go!  just why on earth, can't houston ever achieve a hotel component as per this magnitude.   i shall never ever understand this....

I know very little about Austin, but my theory is that downtown is the only place in the metro that you'll find skyscrapers, therefore they're taller and better designed.

Archived