Midtown Arts Center At 3400 Main St.

Highway6

Is every project a game changer?

Yes lol ALL OF THEM! No but in all seriousness, these two projects for this area will basically lay the foundation for the neighborhood... Kinda like the Market Square tower and the Finger residential near MMP, both of those will help stabilize downtown for future growth IMO

Edited by j_cuevas713

The reason I called this a game changer is twofold.

One, its right on one the rail stations on Main and it will bring hundreds if not thousands to this area who wouldn't normally venture into this part of town, some even riding the rail from the north side or down on Harrisburg. There will be concerts, plays, dance performance, art events and just a sense of community that has been lacking. It will attract other organizations and more restaurants and arts related businesses. People will like the feel of urban life and more will be attracted to living and working in the area once they've been there for an event.

• Like 2

A game changer for midtown will be a full service grocery store. Give me a giant HEB and that will change the game. The lil Fiesta and Randalls are not the same.

Maybe  not "giant" just fabulous, like the underground Whole Foods at Columbus Circle in New York, with fab shopping, restaurants and Parking above :D

I think the game has been changed for Midtown for quite a while now. This is simply an enhancement of what has already happened.

Not even close... I mean if a bunch of mid rise residential, a few bars, and a Buffalo Wild Wings is considered game changing than our expectation is extremely low... What I mean by game changers are developments that could spur taller developments. I think MATCH solidifies Midtown as a registered arts district instead of just having a title and nothing to really show for it yet. Secondly a central gathering place is vital to building a quality neighborhood. That's where the superblock park comes in to play. Both of these developments tied in with whats already growing around them will enhance Midtown exponentially.

• Like 1

Not even close... I mean if a bunch of mid rise residential, a few bars, and a Buffalo Wild Wings is considered game changing than our expectation is extremely low... What I mean by game changers are developments that could spur taller developments. I think MATCH solidifies Midtown as a registered arts district instead of just having a title and nothing to really show for it yet. Secondly a central gathering place is vital to building a quality neighborhood. That's where the superblock park comes in to play. Both of these developments tied in with whats already growing around them will enhance Midtown exponentially.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. The Midtown I remember growing up was one that was dead, one that you would never expect to live in. The Midtown today is teaming with life and excitement. The art center to me is just another enhancement of that excitement, and the Camden superblock and Mid Main are just a continuation of what started in the late 90s and early 2000s. Don't get me wrong, they are all wonderful developments and they are certainly significant, I simply wouldn't label them game changers. In my view, MATCH is sort of like a northern extension of the art district which is just a few blocks south at 59 and Main.

• Like 4

You have a very good point. I remember when theonly people you saw in that stretch of land were not people you would want to visit with on the streets . Even in broad daylight.

I still think that this will help the momentum and bring in new energy.

The mayor also agrees. She thinks its a "catalyst" for growth

Culturemap today

Parker also noted the project, located on a light rail stop in booming Midtown, will serve as a catalyst for development. "Midtown is exploding with the young professionals who are changing the face of Houston," she said. "We have an opportunity for this new facility to become not just a catalyst for development in the immediate vicinity, but to allow us another huge step forward in recreating Houston as a city in which one wants to live, where we are in competition for the creative class here in America and around the world."

• Like 1

I don't think anyone would disagree that it is a plus for the area or a catalyst for other developments. But it isn't changing any game.

My biggest concern living on main would be a full service grocery I could walk to or a short train or bus ride to. That would be the game changer for me.

I don't mind taking a longer bus or train ride to entertainment, but neighborhoods need groceries and services within a few blocks

Hey I don't like Randall's much either, but let's not forget that it exists.

Plus Fiesta.

I think both Randalls and FIESTA was mentioned so they are not forgotten. I can never get everything I want from either though. I'd not like HEB where you get your full grocery needs filled.

Plus Randalls is overpriced.

Phoenicia is nice but even less adequate.

Say what you want but grocery stores and other amenities make neighborhoods strong.

Art does little to attract residents.

Who on earth cares more about walking to a performance over walking to get necessities.

What is pathetic is people who hide behind screens calling names but haven't a clue as to the real world

• Like 4

I think both Randalls and FIESTA was mentioned so they are not forgotten. I can never get everything I want from either though. I'd not like HEB where you get your full grocery needs filled.

Plus Randalls is overpriced.

Phoenicia is nice but even less adequate.

Well, Randall's and Fiesta are both full-service grocery stores, so the problem really is that there is apparently something *you* want that you can't find there.

That being said, Randall's is pretty terrible.

The problem with HEB is that they'd have to do a different (more expensive) design than they normally do (with a parking garage), and even an entire block-sized HEB would actually be much smaller than the HEB superstores like the one on Dunlavy.

Whole Foods has more experience with urban grocery stores, so they seem like a more likely candidate once the population in the area gets to where it needs to be.

could we change the game up and not say "game changer" any more.  two threads this morning and i'm "game changed" out.  lots of game changing going on apparently.

retail follows residential.  at some point, the retail industry will swoop in to the main corridor and our heads will be spinning.  do not be surprised if it happens overnight as  residential solidifies between the medical center and downtown.  (university line please?)

• Like 1

Well, Randall's and Fiesta are both full-service grocery stores, so the problem really is that there is apparently something *you* want that you can't find there.

That being said, Randall's is pretty terrible.

The problem with HEB is that they'd have to do a different (more expensive) design than they normally do (with a parking garage), and even an entire block-sized HEB would actually be much smaller than the HEB superstores like the one on Dunlavy.

Whole Foods has more experience with urban grocery stores, so they seem like a more likely candidate once the population in the area gets to where it needs to be.

its not what I want. Its apparently been the want of many for years and the complaints are still being sounded. Randalls is limited on offerings and what they do offer is overpriced. Fiesta is reasonable but Lacking in all around goods. I guess it has a good chance if more people move to the area.

But I agree we have beaten this to death and should move on.

We have taken too much already from the arts center which will be an asset to the city as a whole. I like diversified entertainment options and being on the rail is a plus for me as I use it often.

I also agree with the poster above on going easy on game changers. Those are rare and almost always looked upon in retrospect.

could we change the game up and not say "game changer" any more. two threads this morning and i'm "game changed" out. lots of game changing going on apparently.

retail follows residential. at some point, the retail industry will swoop in to the main corridor and our heads will be spinning. do not be surprised if it happens overnight as residential solidifies between the medical center and downtown. (university line please?)

Game changer. ^
  • Like 4

i seem to remember friends getting upset about the red line calling it the train to nowhere.  funny how things like the midtown arts center are getting built because of proximity to the rail line, or at least choosing their location due to the rail line.  the line connects our museum district with our theater district; our medical center with universities and the central business district and major sports venues.  consider how many students, people without cars, and visitors can easily access events at the midtown arts center (university line please).

• Like 2

I think more than anything, Lake Flato Architects, is a "game-changer". They are sorta the hip architects in Texas right now and are getting national recognition. The fact them and Studio RED are investing resources in Houston is BIG (hmmm maybe another firm to drag down here ;) ). Anyway I love this project. Very contemporary. The architecture looks Texas with a dash of industrial. This really gives this area an anchoring point for future growth!

• Like 1