Midtown Arts Center At 3400 Main St.

Highway6

Any update on where they are with fundraising?

You mean since the April 30 update provided in the article?  Getting a little impatient, aren't you?   ;-)

From the linked article:

Jill Jewett, acting executive director and consultant to project, said the project is estimated to cost nearly $25 million, but MATCH is working with designers to help bring that number closer to $20 million.

The theater has received support from local businesses and other local funding, such as a $6 million donation from the Houston Endowment and a $750,000 grant from the Fondren Foundation, CultureMap reports.

As of April 30, the campaign has raised more than $14 million.

• 2 weeks later...
Per a recent HBJ aritcle:

"Midtown Arts and Theater Center Houston

Developer: Houston-based Independent Arts Collaborative, now known as MATCH

Location: a full block defined by Main, Holman, Travis and Francis streets
Start Date: January
Expected Completion Date: April 30, 2015

The skinny: Houston City Council approved an ordinance this month, representing the first of two milestones the theater needs to move forward -- the second is scheduled to come in front of Houston First Corp. in late May. The ordinances secure contracts between the developer and the city. Thereafter, the city will lease the center to the developer, MATCH, for 30 years, with an option for a lease extension.

Expected price tag: $20 million to $25 million"

Edited by DrLan34

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The concrete building just north of the proposed Arts center- on the otherside of Francis street. . . . . is it vacant? What's the plan for that building?

In addition to DrLan34's comment:

That's the old city permit bldg, it's been abandoned for about 3-4 years now. Rumor has it that a residential developer is going to do a 5 wrap; in fact I think Bianchi did some prelim renderings for'm.

Edited by infinite_jim
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info-- There is the tiniest bit of green lawn as part of Trinity property on corner of Francis and Main.I've only seen it used when the "blessings of the animals" takes place.

I have heard that now there are different ideas being talked about  as to what might be done to enhance that bit of green space.

Consultant Jill Jewett is optimistic about breaking ground on the long-planned Midtown Arts and Theater Center Houston within the first quarter of 2014. Her group has raised $17 million of the project's $25 million goal, and construction can begin once the $20 million mark is hit, she said.

The 59,000-square-foot complex at 3400 Main will be a self-sustaining hub of creative activity for Houston's small- and medium-size cultural organizations. Designed by Lake|Flato and Studio Red Architects, it will have theater and gallery spaces, rehearsal studios and classrooms, offices, and a coffee and wine bar.

Jewett is so confident about moving forward, she plans to begin the search for an executive director in January. "Every time there's an article in the paper, we're inundated with arts organizations wanting to know when they can sign leases," she said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Local-Art-scene-builds-on-creativity-5096673.php?cmpid=btfpm#/1

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They are looking at a Q1 groundbreaking as fundraising gets close:

The Midtown Arts and Theater Center Houston, known as MATCH, is hoping to break ground on the project in the first quarter of this year at 3400 Main St.

“It is very exciting. There’s no question there’s a need for this kind of facility,” said Emily Todd, president of the MATCH board of directors. “I believe strongly in the mission both from the arts point of view but also the community development piece.”

MATCH has raised nearly $17 million toward its $25 million goal to build the 59,000-square-foot multi-tenant facility, which will include a fixed-seating theater, flexible box theater spaces that can also serve as gallery spaces, a large gallery space, rehearsal and classroom spaces as well as offices and a coffe and wine bar. The building design by Lake Flato Architects Inc. has a central public breezeway and is “intended to engage with the street and its neighbors to create a dynamic urban experience,” according to the MATCH website, matchouston.org.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/news/match-nearing-goal-to-build-new-arts-venue-in-midtown/article_89a041cc-7e0a-11e3-9d2c-0019bb2963f4.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/City-to-collect-again-when-Midtown-building-sells-5298648.php Maybe this is part of the overall MATCH complex?

I'm not sure what the status of MATCH but I know Trinity Episcopal is now taking steps to build a walkway from the Center north of their building to the small parking spaces (accessed from Francis street) next to The Bering House to allow staff access to building when the parking lot on Holman in under construction.

So maybe things will start happening soon.

Edited by trymahjong

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/City-to-collect-again-when-Midtown-building-sells-5298648.php Maybe this is part of the overall MATCH complex?

I'm not sure what the status of MATCH but I know Trinity Episcopal is now taking steps to build a walkway from the Center north of their building to the small parking spaces (accessed from Francis street) next to The Bering House to allow staff access to building when the parking lot on Holman in under construction.

So maybe things will start happening soon.

I seem to recall an apartment block design for the old permit building?

• 4 weeks later...

An announcement was made during services that not only was the parking lot along  Francis, Main and, Holman and  unavailable to the congregation for parking due to construction beginning--the small church parking lot Main, Holman and Fannin would also become unavailable and completion of new parking garage might be as soon as six months.

• Like 1

An announcement was made during services that not only was the parking lot along  Francis, Main and, Holman and  unavailable to the congregation for parking due to construction beginning--the small church parking lot Main, Holman and Fannin would also become unavailable and completion of new parking garage might be as soon as six months.

For the small lot on main , is the parking garage a church project or is it tied to the proposed tower that was mentioned a few months ago..

For the small lot on main , is the parking garage a church project or is it tied to the proposed tower that was mentioned a few months ago..

Trinity Episcopal owns the land, I missed the vestry meeting but have been told the church  lease land to developers for a fee and free parking in garage tower.

Trinity Episcopal owns the land, I missed the vestry meeting but have been told the church  lease land to developers for a fee and free parking in garage tower.

Smart the church gets a gargae out of the deal without having to pay for it , on the condition that their people be allowed to use it free of charge

Smart the church gets a gargae out of the deal without having to pay for it , on the condition that their people be allowed to use it free of charge

I got a few more details on the church parking garage.--parts of parking lot it will be used to store building equipment as they break ground for MATCH for about 6 months or so-- that's when building should commence on the new parking garage-- however as of today no architect has been retained for parking garage. The church has been looking for parking alternatives, interfaith ministries and the theater stepped up.

• 2 weeks later...

"Construction will begin soon on the long-anticipated Midtown Arts and Theater Center Houston (MATCH). The 46k SF exhibition space was designed by Lake Flato and Studio RED in consultation with over 40 Houston arts and performance groups. The project, which is slated for a spring 2015 delivery, is a transit-oriented development just steps from the Ensemble/HCC metro station."

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/1419-the-deal-sheet/  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know we talk about game changers in different projects, but this really will be a catalyst for so much additional development and in creating a real walkable neighborhood. This is going to be amazing for Midtown. Really happy to see this get off the ground!!

• Like 2