Midtown Arts Center At 3400 Main St.

Highway6

This was mentioned in another Midtown thread.. but figured a new project needed a new thread.

Swamplot just broke a story on a new Arts Center planned for Midtown, about a block north of the Ensemble Station.

90,000 SF

3 story

Owner/Developer - Independent Arts Collaborative, a consortium of local arts organizations — including Fotofest, Diverseworks, the Houston Arts Alliance, Musiqa, Suchu Dance, Opera Vista, Catastrophic Theater, Nameless Sound, the River Oaks Chamber Orchestra, and Main St. Theater.

iac-corner-close.jpg

iac-section-persp.jpg

Edited by Highway6
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

http://houston.cultu...idtown-houston/

We’ve been waiting for a long time for a great urban project to take shape along the Main Street rail line, but with the Independent Arts Collaborative’s (IAC) announcement that it is going to build its long-awaited space at 3400 Main (near the Ensemble/HCC rail stop), the wait is finally over.

Or at least it will be by 2015, when the complex is scheduled to open.

As Tyler Rudick reported, the 85,000-square-foot complex will include four or five small performance spaces, a 400-seat theater, exhibition space, classrooms, and office space.

Significant neighborhood development

The IAC complex is sure to inspire, or at least accompany, significant neighborhood development. Developer Bob Schultz, co-owner of the Continental Club and of the colorful boutiques that are the Continental’s neighbors, says he’s planning extensive further developments in the blocks just south of IAC. He’s planning to build housing, a parking garage, and more unique retail. A hotel is also on the drawing board.

Schultz told me, “The hope is that we’ll have a 24/7 city (in the area).”

And just blocks away, HCC Central Campus has already begun a very exciting redevelopment of its historic campus, one that will mend and strengthen the area’s badly torn urban fabric.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Per Bisnow today...

The Independent Arts Collaborative selected Lake|Flato and Studio RED Architects to design the organization’s new art complex planned at Main and Holman in Midtown, steps from the HCC/Ensemble light rail stop. The multi-tenant performance and exhibition space will be designed with the input of nearly 40 Houston arts groups. The 67k SF complex will feature a 300-seat theater, exhibition space, two rehearsal halls, three black box performance spaces, classrooms, and office space.
Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 11 months later...

I saw them taking soil samples March 30th, 2013.

Word is that they will start construction once they raise $20 Million of the $25.8 Million needed for the complete project.

The website shows that $13.2 Million has been raised but I heard at a community meeting last week that $15.8 Million has been raised...

http://www.matchouston.org/

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

I'm assuming they're the ones that put in the application for the City to abandon Berry Street between this development and Natachee's. Will be interesting to see what's planned for that area.

I'm a little confused-- If the  Midtown Arts Center development is the block bounded by Holman, Main, Francis, and Travis streets--  What  will Berry street between Natachees and that parking lot be used for?

Edited by trymahjong

I'm assuming they're the ones that put in the application for the City to abandon Berry Street between this development and Natachee's. Will be interesting to see what's planned for that area.

I found this old schematic that shows what is planned for the lot in-between Natachees and The Match

• Like 1

Yikes. I sure hope that won't happen as it would mean Double Trouble is toast!

Double Trouble is at Winbern and Main.  That will remain as well as the other development north of that until Berry Street.  North of Berry Street is an empty block.  North of Holman is the planned site of The Match.

There are two parking garages in this rendering.  One north of Winbern (which will go behind Double Trouble, Natachees, etc) and one north of Berry which may include retail in front of it as depicted in the rendering.

Edited by DrLan34

Double Trouble is at Winbern and Main.  That will remain as well as the other development north of that until Berry Street.  North of Berry Street is an empty block.  North of Holman is the planned site of The Match.

There are two parking garages in this rendering.  One north of Winbern (which will go behind Double Trouble, Natachees, etc) and one north of Berry which may include retail in front of it as depicted in the rendering.

The building depicted at Winbern and Main is not the same building as the one Double Trouble resides in. Unless they intend to build on top of it?

Edited by kylejack

The building depicted at Winbern and Main is not the same building as the one Double Trouble resides in. Unless they intend to build on top of it?

You're definitely right, it's not the same building, but I think it was just a conceptual design.  From what I understand Double Trouble, Natachees, etc, is part of the long term plan.  Not sure if they will keep the same building, build on top of it, etc

Is Bob Schultz the owner of the current continental club?  That is who was mentioned in this article as the developer.

If you look at the render, Double Trouble's building *is* there, it just has a strange second story extension built above it.

If I remember correctly, the original plan was to tear down the building, but when the developer actually started clearing it out he decided it was worth keeping.

(Yes, I'll catch flak for this.) The supreme irony - building parking garages in a burgeoning pedestrian area adjacent to a light rail stop.

"Look! It's laying golden eggs! Let's kill it!"

• Like 1

eh, i would argue that a parking garage with a retail component is actually perfect for the area, especially with the massive apartment building going on south of alabama. Like it or not, parking is necessary, and this seems like the best way to keep parking while still keeping the streetfront along main as pedestrian friendly as possible. it also avoids the various issues developers run into when mixing retail and residential in a single building. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...