barracuda

Demolishing the Houston Club at 811 Rusk Street for Capitol Tower by Skanska

1211 posts in this topic

I like it well enough. Not Spanish Steps level excitement, but a decent replacement.

I'm still inerested in what will behappening to the tunnels trans-abatement/demolition, but given the indefinite timeframe, it could be a while before we worry about it.

Its exterior would feature a "light box" effect, where a portion of the building would glow at night and have a unique reflection during the day.

Although the building looks just "okay", I'm curious what they mean by this feature. Sounds interesting.

1 person likes this

Not bad, I like it, for a box. Kinda looks like a glass version of a few of the box buildings in downtown built within the last 15 years.

Sad most likely only one or two of these will be built. I hope this is the third or fourth of the office ones planned that goes up.

Edited by lockmat

capitol-tower-night.jpg

Another shot fromt eh Swamplot piece.

5 people like this

Although the building looks just "okay", I'm curious what they mean by this feature. Sounds interesting.

I took it to mean "glass".

1 person likes this

It seems like in the architecture world, light blue reflective glass is all the rage. Thats what, 5 high rises planned/underconstruction for downtown Houston with similar glass color? 

It seems like in the architecture world, light blue reflective glass is all the rage. Thats what, 5 high rises planned/underconstruction for downtown Houston with similar glass color? 

I thought I read once that it is a function of whatever coating/tinting that gets you the optimum mix of reflection/insulation/cost, a substance over form type of decision.

Could be just the style though, I'm not sure where I picked up the idea.

Edited by Nate99

I took it to mean "glass".

That's hilarious... they are describing glass? Well alrighty then..

I thought I read once that it is a function of whatever coating/tinting that gets you the optimum mix of reflection/insulation/cost, a substance over form type of decision.

That makes sense to me. I'd hate to have every building light blue reflective glass though... get boring after a while :)

capitol-tower-night.jpg

Another shot fromt eh Swamplot piece.

At least they made an effort to hide the garage from the looks of this rendering.  

Any night renderings? Curious how they plan on doing the lighting (hopefully something similar to 1000 Main St.)

Boring glass box is boring.

Yeah, it's not bad, but considering this thing will be blocking certain views of the Pennzoil Place towers, then shouldn't it be better than just not bad? 

It's just a matter of fashion.  In the 1970s and early 80s the rage was for bronze-tinted glass or brown buildings.  Think of the Kirby Building, Pennzoil, 1100 Louisiana etc.  In a few years bluish-tinting will look tired and dated.

It's just a matter of fashion.  In the 1970s and early 80s the rage was for bronze-tinted glass or brown buildings.  Think of the Kirby Building, Pennzoil, 1100 Louisiana etc.  In a few years bluish-tinting will look tired and dated.

I don't personally think so, Look at 1400 Smith St. Build in 1983, the light blue glass has stood the test of time. I'm excited to see what tomorrow's trends are, but I don't think they will ever look dated. Unless every city starts getting the futuristic skyscrapers (Halo Reach), Where it's half white concrete and half glass.

Larger, high-res renderings:

8894309288_6b3bac4a47_o.jpg

8893689687_d6c45aa99e_o.jpg

8893690067_a3eebb13c5_o.jpg

9 people like this

I don't personally think so, Look at 1400 Smith St. Build in 1983, the light blue glass has stood the test of time. I'm excited to see what tomorrow's trends are, but I don't think they will ever look dated. Unless every city starts getting the futuristic skyscrapers (Halo Reach), Where it's half white concrete and half glass.

The upper levels of 1400 Smith St. has had problems sheeting water off and it's blue glass has some pretty noticeable calcium deposits and what looks like some sort of funky mullion mold.  It helps that it's neighboring towers are mostly stone clad, bringing it's glass facade to the forefront of perception but it's still a very 80's tower IMO.

The upper levels of 1400 Smith St. has had problems sheeting water off and it's blue glass has some pretty noticeable calcium deposits and what looks like some sort of funky mullion mold.  It helps that it's neighboring towers are mostly stone clad, bringing it's glass facade to the forefront of perception but it's still a very 80's tower IMO.

True... The White stripes are a little 80's. Do you think Wells Fargo could pass for 2013 if it's glass was light blue?

No, it's all in the mullion details. 70's & 80's mullions look much thicker (and typically had exterior caulking for it's flashing) than the newer designs which usually have a proportional assortment of flashed interlocked detailing (most notably the use of striated spandrel glass) yielding a more varied facade relief in elevation. See for example the Metro bldg, the Leland bldg renovation, 1400 Louisiana, Hess tower, and the presumable design basis for the Capital Tower, 1000 Main St.

Edited by infinite_jim
1 person likes this

Is this replacing park with mural on side of adjacent building? Across from Pennzoil?

Is this replacing park with mural on side of adjacent building? Across from Pennzoil?

yes

yes

Edited by kbates2
4 people like this

This building looks like it could be Anadarko III in The Woodlands.

Hey, don't give 'em any ideas...

As much as I like the "park" and the mural, I love the location of this building.