barracuda

Demolishing the Houston Club at 811 Rusk Street for Capitol Tower by Skanska

1261 posts in this topic

I'm glad it's going up, I think, but it's pretty drab. Shouldn't give too much praise for this bore. If the reason is the cost well then I think that has been proven that it doesn't take a lot of money to snazz things up a bit. It's just a lack of creativity both financially and design-wise. Shame be upon them. BAAHH, I say!

4 people like this

I'll be curious if this tower's light-up feature will be visible at night.  609 Main's is faded and doesn't light up the whole crown--which is strange given that the bend in the crown is not really visible at night.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I'll be curious if this tower's light-up feature will be visible at night.  609 Main's is faded and doesn't light up the whole crown--which is strange given that the bend in the crown is not really visible at night.

If what we have saw of the 609 crown is the finale product then I would just prefer they have no lighting at all.  Looks tacky and unfinished.   

4 people like this

There will be another great view from Almeda just south of Axelrad.

By the way after spending much time looking at Downtown from the south, 288 and third ward areas, I have noticed that the skyline is broken up into three distinct clusters. Theres the Continental/Enron Allen Center cluster, the Wells Fargo, Shell Houston energy cluster, and then the Chase 609 Houston Center cluster. Right in the  center is Pennzoil and nothing else. I think somewhere on the SE side of central downtown would be the perfect spot for a supertall. I really like the skyline form the south and southeast. You see all of the old and it looks so much more dense.

Density is the secret.

8 people like this

Can't wait for this sucker to rise! It should rise fairly rapidly being the foundation and garage are long complete.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, wxman said:

Can't wait for this sucker to rise! It should rise fairly rapidly being the foundation and garage are long complete.

It is a little tough to tell from my picture above, but the tan walls you see in the middle are actually the forms for pouring elevator shaft walls. They are picking up right where they left off, it should go quickly.

15 hours ago, wxman said:

This was really smart by Skanska to get a head start on this while they waited on a tenant.