Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, swtsig said:

they'll be about 95% leased in the very near future.

edit: i'm talking about 609, not capitol tower

Nice. Costar has them at 63% currently. If someone is taking 30%, that could involve naming rights I imagine.

• Like 1

I noticed yesterday as I was sitting in Jury Duty that there was only one crane, as I'm in my office now, there's a definite hole where the crane once stood.

What happens to that hole? I am guessing they make it the freight/service elevator?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the photo of the 787-9 above highlights how the Capitol Tower is an afterthought in the skyline. 609 Main is a dominant feature of the portion of the skyline facing north/northeast.  Market Square Tower also has more presence on that end. It took me a moment to even locate the Capitol Tower in the above photo. I get the sense the Capitol Tower was designed to be viewed up close--say from by the Miro in front of the Chase Tower--rather than to be a feature at a distance.  It's a shame, though, because I think that crown would have made a nice feature even if the building were an additional five stories taller so as to stand out from the Pennzoil building.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I'm surprised the downtown skyline is that dominant from the Intercontinental airport. It looks just a few blocks away. This image makes it look closer than Hobby.

Yeah, there is something not right with that picture. Or they are using one very expensive camera with special features/lenses. 

I'm pretty sure it's a composite photo.  For reference, here is a photo I took on short final to IAH, coming in from the east

41380365075_7a8cf37103_k.jpg

(This was taken with a 720 mm equivilant lens for those who are curious)

Anyway you can tell that downtown is way further away than it would be for that photo to have a plane in focus, much less in the frame.

The most likely angle is from around where the I-10 HOV lane is with a longish lens, or possibly closer

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7781189,-95.3722061,3a,75y,168.62h,87.49t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGBf-QlOn_ioXA4SScwDrWA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DGBf-QlOn_ioXA4SScwDrWA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D358.594%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656 

I drew a line in Google earth from downtown to the WM taxiway, where the plane photo was taken, and it does match the downtown angle just about, so it is possible the photo was taken from IAH with a much longer lens and composited with the plane photo

• Like 8

8 hours ago, cspwal said:

you can tell that downtown is way further away than it would be for that photo to have a plane in focus, much less in the frame.

To me it's obviously a composite shot. Does anyone reasonably believe that there's any combination of focal length and filters that could cut through miles of Houston haze and deliver such a crisp image? And why would anyone bother when Photoshop allows complete control of the image(s)?
edit: Also, how could a photo be taken from this angle without the 610 Loop or other structures north of downtown obstructing the view? 

Edited by dbigtex56
added info
  • Like 2