Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

On 2/16/2018 at 11:09 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

I know it is not the point, but man, the Pennzoil Towers are still amazing. Only wish they were either taller or on a more visible block.

Great point!

The Pennzoil Building goes to show you that height isn't always the most important aspect of a great building.

It's stimulating design that plays an integral part in the way a building is judged.

Pennzoil is still the grand dame of modern Houston architecture along with the Esperson and Gulf buildings, and not one of them is over 36 floors.

• Like 4

KinkaidAlum

Drove down 45 yesterday afternoon and I can tell you  there is an incredible permanent view of the Pennzoil that is classic. 

With the Wortham positioned where it is and the bayou adjacent I don't think it will be blocked from that view forever or at least a very long time.

Also the Capitol Tower makes a great backdrop for it and fills in nicely.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This may be my least favorite building ever built in the history of Houston. Not just because it's ordinary, but because it will block views of Pennzoil Place, one of the best and most famous buildings ever built in Houston, so I will hate it until the day I die.

If they had built this tower just about anywhere else in this city or if it had been significantly higher in order to justify covering up Pennzoil from the north and east I would have liked it just fine. But no, it just had to be just a little higher than Pennzoil and do its best to flatten up the Houston skyline even more without doing much to enhance it.

• Like 1

I hated it when it was covered up from the west by the Republic Bank building, but got over it. 

Look if you come in from 45 north you have a great view of Pennzoil, and the bonus is the great backdrop it makes for the 

Esperson building. If you drive down Travis you'll see what I'm talking about. 

Pennzoil is like a little jewel and will always be one of the greatest building ever built in Houston, but I think there are still many delightful views of the building from street level that are as nice as you'll get. Just approach it on foot from all different parts of town. You'd be surprised when it shows up.

Where it really shines is from up in the towers.

So don't hate on it,  just try and appreciate the new relationships the Skanska tower will have with its new neighbors from all sides with its reflective glass walls. 

• Like 6

In studying Urbanizer 713's images closer I noticed  that this last set of columns is a different height, it appears that there is at least one more level of something because the rebar is sticking out of the tops of the new exposed columns.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:25 AM, Urbannizer said:

The amount of vacancy remaining in 609 Main makes me suspicious of the 4Q 2018 timetable for Hines' next building that's been bandied about. I stood on top of the Magnolia Hotel last weekend and could see the exposed ductwork on all the floors in the midsection of the building. Occupancy can't be much more than 30%. Hopefully they've signed some tenants who haven't begun construction yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

The amount of vacancy remaining in 609 Main makes me suspicious of the 4Q 2018 timetable for Hines' next building that's been bandied about. I stood on top of the Magnolia Hotel last weekend and could see the exposed ductwork on all the floors in the midsection of the building. Occupancy can't be much more than 30%. Hopefully they've signed some tenants who haven't begun construction yet.

They were at close to 60% leased when the building oprned almost a year ago.

• Like 1