barracuda

Demolishing the Houston Club at 811 Rusk Street for Capitol Tower by Skanska

1272 posts in this topic

The old HC building would have needed a ton of enthusiastically creative attention to turn it into something that wasn't tenant repellent; I suppose that didn't show up in time. The tunnel connectivity/location of the property probably ultimately doomed the old structure since a shiny new tower with those attributes will eventually be a good investment, or at least that's what Skanska seems to think.  

2 people like this

Potential leaseable office space prior to demolition, not exactly class a.....

pics 025.JPG

4 people like this

6 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

Potential leaseable office space prior to demolition, not exactly class a.....

pics 025.JPG

Cold war eastern Europe is so hot right now!

2 people like this

We may have been hasty in giving cold war Eastern Europe a bad rap, if they have whataburger, it can't be all bad.

3 people like this

23 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Not sure how tearing down an existed structure and replacing it with another is infill when downtown has dozens of entirely empty parcels. 

The Houston Club wasn't great, but it was an example of mid 1900s architecture which we lack in this town. 

The building was falling apart from reports. How much of that is true idk, but if they were having serious issues then I can see where the building wasn't worth saving. 

1 person likes this

There was a modern pattern painted onto the southeast side walls today.

1 person likes this

Every building is falling apart if you don't take care of it. 

My house was a 1920s English that hadn't been lived in in over 8 years. It had Hurricane Ike damage which included a massive hole in the roof that exposed the first floor to the sun. However, the foundation was solid and I rebuilt the old beauty putting a modern house inside of the old structure. 

The Houston Club would have never worked as an office tower, but if someone with vision had gotten a hold of it, it could have made a really nice apartment tower or even a cool hotel. The windows alone were worth it (they were operable originally). 

5 people like this

I understand the "new and upgraded easier to sell" mantra but I don't get " the building was falling apart" mantra.

Buildings are falling apart all over the world,  but people do remodel buildings in far worse shape.  

That building can't have been in worse shape than the Days in or even Central Square or the federal building.  The federal building was leaking water for years.  The other two were taken over by homeless and plagued worth filth and fire.

I hate the falling apart excuse.  Just say what it is. The owner wanted commercial and what sells right now for commercial is easier to accomplish with new construction.   

5 people like this

"Look, it's falling apart!!!"

*swings sledge hammer at wall

"See!!!"

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, samagon said:

"Look, it's falling apart!!!"

*swings sledge hammer at wall

"See!!!"

I'd challenge anyone to swing a sledge hammer full strength at one of those concrete columns. I would even throw in the Excedrin.

2 people like this

I used to have meetings there back in the day and it was always nice, but a little dusty and dated.  I always thought the Houston Club had a great design - very urban.  Along with the Gulf Building that block on Travis was one of my favorites in Houston.  

4 people like this

Amazing artists. P.O.S. canvas. 

4 people like this

If the tower goes forward, they should keep the mural visible with clear glass in the curtain wall on that corner. That would be kind of neat.

If it was always assumed to be temporary, they could refresh it with new art every now and again.

2 people like this

So was this part of the developers plan, or just the City saying "er, the Super Bowl is coming, can you make that less ugly?"

6 people like this

Too bad the Super Bowl doesn't coincide with Halloween. We could cut three holes in a massive sheet, cover it,  and call it a ghost. 

3 people like this

Hope the stand alone parking garage is very tempoary. Absolutely awful.

4 people like this

Woah.. I dig the mural/sacred geometry. Im glad they are doing something to spruce this place up while they wait for the green light for the tower.

1 person likes this

^^^ although, i am really appreciative of the fact that they decided to add a bit of art to this particular corner.  however, i just wish that they had gone with a SUPERBOWL motif instead of this ugly/strange halloweenish black tree.  i am trying in earnest to present this art piece the benefit of the doubt.  however, i just cannot comprehend just what it is trying to convey to the public.  "STRANGE THINGS" indeed....

1 person likes this

Office vacancies are rising in downtown Houston as energy firms, such as Shell Oil, have downsized or relocated altogether. The downtown office availability rate has reached 16.5 percent, according to CBRE, which recently said in its year-end report that it could take “three to five years” for downtown vacancy to subside to a normal level. In addition, Hines is completing its 1 million-SF 609 Main tower this month. And Skanska is expected to begin vertical construction this year on its 750,000-SF Capitol Tower, atop the building’s already built foundation, which is about four blocks from the Six Houston Center site.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/02/01/john-goff-six-houston-center-skyscraper-still-planned-but-groundbreaking-not-expected-soon/

4 people like this

FAA case shows a work schedule from 03/01/2017 to 12/31/2019

50246-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-RHL

Edited by AREJAY
2 people like this