barracuda

Demolishing the Houston Club at 811 Rusk Street for Capitol Tower by Skanska

1143 posts in this topic

Greenway had quick availability. She starts work on Monday and they gave her a 6 month lease. The places in Midtown were all requiring full year leases and were more $$$.

I was sad to see Redcat go away. That building is so nifty.

I was sad to see Redcat go away. That building is so nifty.

I was passing through downtown today. Did Redcat re-open off Franklin over there by where Pink Monkey used to be? I never heard of them opening.

I tried to go in but it was locked. I couldn't tell if they were in the process of re-opening or if they were just closed outside of regular business hours.

I was passing through downtown today. Did Redcat re-open off Franklin over there by where Pink Monkey used to be? I never heard of them opening.

I tried to go in but it was locked. I couldn't tell if they were in the process of re-opening or if they were just closed outside of regular business hours.

Yes, they reopened there a while ago - was at Brewey Tap a couple nights ago and people where in and out of there

Yes, they reopened there a while ago - was at Brewey Tap a couple nights ago and people where in and out of there

I missed that announcement. I had been waiting on the re-opening since they closed 2.5 years ago. Last i heard, they were considering a Pearland location.

Pretty sad to see this go but glad that it is joining forces with Plaza Club @ One Shell

Edited by fatesdisastr

I notice on downtownhouston.org's downtown map they have already labeled the block as "Capitol Tower". Jumping the gun?

Aha!  That explains why they've got it on the tunnel signage too.  I thought I was missing something. . .

Aha!  That explains why they've got it on the tunnel signage too.  I thought I was missing something. . .

I'm still curious if they are going to make some accommodation for the tunnels during construction. Seems a long shot, but it makes you wonder why they would bother putting up signage for something that is about to be a hole in the ground. 

EDIT: Odd error message. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

Edited by Nate99

I noticed this morning that Brown Bag Deli has relocated from the Houston Club Bldg to where Ziggy's used to be. I think they were the last tenant, so demo must be nearing.

I noticed this morning that Brown Bag Deli has relocated from the Houston Club Bldg to where Ziggy's used to be. I think they were the last tenant, so demo must be nearing.

There is still a Skyline Deli in the tunnels underneath, but maybe that corner that connects to the Esperson building is going to be spared. 

I'm still curious if they are going to make some accommodation for the tunnels during construction. Seems a long shot, but it makes you wonder why they would bother putting up signage for something that is about to be a hole in the ground. 

That's an excellent question.  Given that it's the intersection of the Pennzoil/Esperson/Chase tunnels, it would be a big disruption.

I can't find a link online anywhere,  but I read an article in a Sunday Chronicle Business section from the last month (apoligize - can't remember the date) talking about the auction of the Houston  Club items.   And it had an offhand comment that was something to the effect of Skanska was going to replace the 385,000 sq. foot building with a 625,000 building.   Again -  I am going off of memory, so the numbers might be a little off.  

I can't find anything official anywhere - but if anybody has an old copy of the Chronicle - maybe they can confirm by fuzzy memory.

I hope they look to do something stunning to sort of say to Hines "You aren't the only one in town anymore"

That's an excellent question.  Given that it's the intersection of the Pennzoil/Esperson/Chase tunnels, it would be a big disruption.

It's hard to imagine that they could leave the tunnel section open, given that a new foundation would be necessary.  That said, in other building temporary tunnels have been opened as soon as feasible, and there is at least an alternative route to get from Pennzoil to Chase (from the other Pennzoil tunnel entrance, to Esperson, and back up to Chase).

So Gensler put up a display in the lobby of the Pennzoil building with a model of that section of downtown:

vc1s9.jpg

Since Gensler was connected to whatever is going in the old HC space, and the block in the model is conspicuously bare, I'd say it's plausible that we will see a model of whatever is supposed to be built there in  the empty spot in the near future. 

Unless Gensler wants to promote the empty block they're designing. 

2 people like this

Keeping my fingers crossed that this thing goes up very quickly after demolition. That would be a TERRIBLE block to go vacant for a long period of time. Too many scars on the landscape already.

Oh, and please let it be something other than a glass box like their Post Oak project that is rising...

1 person likes this

Is that one huge property on that block or are there any separate parts?

If it is all considered one property that is pretty huge.

does Gensler still have the model of the BOTSW tower in their lobby? That was bad assed the last time I saw it (about 20 years ago)

Is that one huge property on that block or are there any separate parts?

If it is all considered one property that is pretty huge.

I'm fairly sure it is all one contiguous property. 

Apart from the corner closest to Jones Hall, the footprint of the Houston Club building/garage pretty much occupies the entire block minus the required setback from the street. Not counting garages, it may be the most fully utilized single building block downtown. 

Edited by Nate99
1 person likes this

does Gensler still have the model of the BOTSW tower in their lobby? That was bad assed the last time I saw it (about 20 years ago)

Talk about an out of place empty block. 

Having a supertall like that right there would have changed the entire complexion of DT. Not that I (or anyone apparently) would have wanted to pay for it, but it is fun to imagine how that would look with One Shell, B of A and Wells Fargo all in close proximity. 

I'm fairly sure it is all one contiguous property.

Apart from the corner closest to Jones Hall, the footprint of the Houston Club building/garage pretty much occupies the entire block minus the required setback from the street. Not counting garages, it may be the most fully utilized single building block downtown.

I like that mural that is on the side of the building

1 person likes this

I passed through the HC building in the tunnel yesterday and there were two surveyors with the stick/optical sight instruments (have no idea what they are actually called) down there taking measurements.

They are planning something. 

1 person likes this

I guess i'll start the thread for this one.

8680305538_3df78e9d0b_o.jpg

Capitol Tower in the CBD is being developed by Skanska and Gensler on the former Houston Club space. The Class A building is expected to be 33 floors and between 700,000 to 800,000 square feet.

http://www.us.am.joneslanglasalle.com/ResearchLevel1/Houston%20Highlights_Q1_2013.pdf

http://www.usa.skanska.com/business-units/commercial_development/commercial-properties/offices-for-lease/capitol-tower/

2 people like this

Sorry, I initially posted the outdated rendering on twitter, which that one is.