barracuda

Demolishing the Houston Club at 811 Rusk Street for Capitol Tower by Skanska

1261 posts in this topic

Downtown's Houston Club Building may be facing the wrecking ball. The 63-year-old building, which fell into foreclosure last fall, is under contract to be sold to Swedish construction giant Skanska.

According to the Chronicle, several tenants are already clearing out of the building even though Skanska has not confirmed anything.

Latest renderings & info:

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/06/developer-to-pour-foundation-for-downtown-office-tower/#23198101=0

14116254629_9dc8280e0d_o.jpg

14301018622_094ccd2932_o.jpg

14116400857_a54046277d_o.jpg

lobby-capitol.jpg

14302940405_b514a842ec_b.jpg

14116313010_32bac523b3_b.jpg

14279808226_8bbc6bd4b5_o.jpg

14301017242_f02c4a0f9b_o.jpg

Isn't this the same Skanska that claimed that they didn't need financing or a pre-lease figure in order to break ground on their Galleria area tower? That one hasn't broken ground yet and the rumors are that it wont.

I'd absolutely HATE to see another historic, even if it isn't that great, building come down with the promise of something going up in its place only for nothing to be built. Downtown already has enough scars.

If this is true, we'll be adding vacant/surface lots at the old YMCA, the old Sheraton, and now the Houston Club all in just one year. Ughhh.

Well, it hasn't come down yet, and the YMCA took away a parking lot before giving one back. Additionally, downtown has given up far more parking lots than it gained in the last few years...including 2 blocks east of this building...so, I wouldn't go committing hari kari over this one, if it happens.

That's kinda the point. Few find this particular building 'nice', simply old. And, while better than a parking lot, no one has promised a lot. At least, not yet.

If this is true, we'll be adding vacant/surface lots at the old YMCA, the old Sheraton, and now the Houston Club all in just one year. Ughhh.

Relax.

The Former YMCA will be a green space.

The former Sheraton will be a park and main entry way for Total Plaza w/ parking underground.

This is just an article saying they are doing feasibility studies. We do them all the time at my firm and most of the time nothing substantial happens except more studies are exacted.

Edited by infinite_jim
2 people like this

I guess I don't remember seeing this building in person but in the picture it looks nice. At the very least, it looks from the outside to be a perfect building to do a renovation for a hotel or apartments.

Relax.

The Former YMCA will be a green space.

The former Sheraton will be a park and main entry way for Total Plaza w/ parking underground.

This is just an article saying they are doing feasibility studies. We do them all the time at my firm and most of the time nothing substantial happens except more studies are exacted.

The former Y will be a temporary green space, but Chevron plans to build another building there, still better than a parking lot.

The former Y will be a temporary green space, but Chevron plans to build another building there, still better than a parking lot.

Is there information on Chevron's plans for this lot that is publicly available?

Brown Bag Deli does steady business every day, hopefully they would open up a shop somewhere close by.

Wasn't this the building that had a fire earlier in the year (or late 2010)?

Edited by Nate99

Are you thinking of the fire in the Chase building (old Gulf Oil building)?

I think you're right, it's a block up from the Houston Club.

Isn't this the same Skanska that claimed that they didn't need financing or a pre-lease figure in order to break ground on their Galleria area tower? That one hasn't broken ground yet and the rumors are that it wont.

I'd absolutely HATE to see another historic, even if it isn't that great, building come down with the promise of something going up in its place only for nothing to be built. Downtown already has enough scars.

same skanska and i've heard they've ditched their plans for their galleria building in favor of this one.

i had an engineering firm tell me they bid out on two downtown towers recently, both in the 600-700K SF range. i'd assume one was hines and the other skanksa.

2 people like this

If they do knock it down, that would cut the Chase Tower (and others) off from the tunnels unless they got really creative. .

There are like 8-10 people crawling all over the roof of the Houston Club building at this moment. It's too far to tell exactly what they are doing, but hopefully it means that things are moving along

There are like 8-10 people crawling all over the roof of the Houston Club building at this moment. It's too far to tell exactly what they are doing, but hopefully it means that things are moving along

I wish/hope that they are looking at rehabbing the building rather than tearing it down. Looks to me like it could be converted into a nice apartment building, maybe? It's great that Skanska plans a new building, but it drives me crazy that they apparently plan to tear this decent, substantial building down for it, rather than fill in one of the still-far-too-numerous surface lots.

1 person likes this

Houston Club is still open isn't it? I am going to a charity event there in September.

Really happy to hear they are remodeling instead of demolishing. Now just curious what they are remodeling for? Will it still be offices? Maybe residential? (this building could make great condos or apartments. GREAT windows!

1 person likes this

I'd love to move to a downtown condo, except for the outrageous $/sf cost and maintenance fees compared to a townhouse a mile away. I'd probably have to downsize by about 50%. Also, I'd have to sell my current house and unlikely that is going to happen in this shitty market.

But yeah. At least, for others, it would make great residential rentals :)

Lol, I was hoping for a new tower

(disclaimer: I can see the Houston Club Bldg from my balcony). ^_^

Edited by infinite_jim

Lol, I was hoping for a new tower

(disclaimer: I can see the Houston Club Bldg from my balcony). ^_^

I'm all for new towers too, but they need to replace surface parking lots, not nice-looking buildings that contribute nicely to downtown.

1 person likes this

From an architectural standpoint, it would be nice if the skyline were not so lopsided by the height/shape/color of the Chase tower, a high rise in this location would address it's context in a way that could "smooth" out the height and material discrepancies (see for example the Chevron bldg by Pelli in it's synthesis of 1400 Smith and the Exxon tower).

But your right in the sense that the Houston Club bldg does provide an urban pedestrian scaled bldg, but that alone can be replicated and improved upon.