Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

• 1 month later...

It keeps growing while 5AC keeps shrinking! They sure are dragging their feet, but it's good to see that it looks like they're going to go through with the project. I like the building even if it is a little boxy. :]

Edited by ClutchCity

lol. In a way I kind of hope it stays shorter so Hines and international tower are more likely to get built to their full size. A tower on that plot won't have any impact on the skyline unless it's 50+ stories anyways, so 35, 37, 40+, doesn't matter.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

lol. In a way I kind of hope it stays shorter so Hines and international tower are more likely to get built to their full size. A tower on that plot won't have any impact on the skyline unless it's 50+ stories anyways, so 35, 37, 40+, doesn't matter.

I don't think the height of another building makes the chances for the others to be scaled down.

I don't think the height of another building makes the chances for the others to be scaled down.

I think he's referring to the height because a taller building generally equals (dependent on floor to ceiling height) more floors which means more office space that would have to be absorbed. 

• Like 1

^^ exactly. only so much space can be absorbed into the market at once and with all of these new towers IMO we have more than enough space available for at least a few years (unless some big time corporate headquarter relocations happen demanding whole new towers).. remember when international tower shrunk after Hines increased their building? may have just been a coincidence but who knows..

The trucks and Bobcats hauling stuff out by the Milam/Capitol corner has slowed signifiicantly. I walked by the Travis side this morning, and they pretty much have the interior down to bare concrete at this point, at least in that part. There is a fair amount of neat looking maroonish marble around the entrance and into the lobby there that still needs to be salvaged (and I'm sure it will be, if only in the back of pickup trucks driven by the demo crews).

The parking garage is still operating, not sure when they will start tearing down the structure.

The plans announced for the site had 35-ish stories IIRC. With 609 Main getting the jump and the Market Square office tower, there is a lot of space yet to sell in the area before everything is a go.

Hope it all happens and they all stay full.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The upper portion looks dated.  Like 1000 Main.  Oh well.  Not everything is a masterpiece.

I am interested to see how they address the tunnel connections - that could be potentially big.

Yeah, my guess is that there will be a substantial tunnel footprint here. The block has good connections to the Gulf Building, Pennzoil, and the main north-south tunnel.  The tower lobby on the north side has broad steps going down to the tunnel level, so my guess is that the steps will lead down to a large food court/retail area, not unlike the concept at the Reliant Building on Main.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The corner of Milam and Capitol had been a staging point for interior pieces that they were hauling out with Bobcats and wheelbarrows. Just shot this today where they have a big excavator making a big hole right there. It may have been just digging up the foundation of the walls that were in that little courtyard.

2u5xl4g.jpg

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder how much longer the tunnel connections through there will remain open.  When they close it off, Chase, 600/601 Travis, and 711 Texas are going to be cut off from all weather access to the rest of downtown.  What was once Skyline Deli's seating area is now walled off with unfinished drywall and a "construction - do not enter" type sign on the unfinished luan door.  OTOH, the parking garage is still in operation.

I can't help but wonder how much longer the tunnel connections through there will remain open.  When they close it off, Chase, 600/601 Travis, and 711 Texas are going to be cut off from all weather access to the rest of downtown.  What was once Skyline Deli's seating area is now walled off with unfinished drywall and a "construction - do not enter" type sign on the unfinished luan door.  OTOH, the parking garage is still in operation.

I've wondered how they would manage the tunnels under the HC building. I noticed today that the demo contractors have moved in to the office that used to be the parking company in the tunnel between HC and the old Chase building across Travis. 

For 609 Main, they would need to tunnel under the light rail, and I don't know if that has yet been done, The one to BG Place maybe? 

The tunnel to BG Place was dug after the light rail was there, and Uncle Gerry ain't gonna build nuttin' downtown without tunnel access.  My guess is that it will go via 601 Travis (f/k/a Chase Center).

(Digression - Heritage Plaza's only all weather access is via a gerbil tube built many years later because [as was related to me then] neither Hines nor Century were willing to grant the new kids access rights in a market that was at that time quickly circling the drain - hence that building being see thru for a long, long time)  

• Like 1

(Digression - Heritage Plaza's only all weather access is via a gerbil tube built many years later because [as was related to me then] neither Hines nor Century were willing to grant the new kids access rights in a market that was at that time quickly circling the drain - hence that building being see thru for a long, long time)  

That's kinda sorta correct, except that I don't know what Century would have had to do with it (the adjoining and eventually-connected Allen Center was developed by MetLife.  MedLife sold it to TrizecHahn. TrizecHahn sold it to Brookfield.

Also, the building stopped being see-through long before it gained its skywalk.  The years of see-throughdom had a lot more to do with the oil bust occurring just before the building was completed than its lack of connection to the tunnels.

The corner of Milam and Capitol had been a staging point for interior pieces that they were hauling out with Bobcats and wheelbarrows. Just shot this today where they have a big excavator making a big hole right there. It may have been just digging up the foundation of the walls that were in that little courtyard.

2u5xl4g.jpg

Anyone know the status of the mural and if it will be disassembled & moved/saved?

I really hope there's some way it could be saved.