Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Bank of America Tower: Office Building For Downtown
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Bank Of America Tower: Office Building For Downtown
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

When is Understory open? 

Monday-Thursday, 7 AM - 10 PM
Friday, 7 AM - 12 AM
Saturday, 8 AM - 12 AM
Sunday, 8 AM - 10 PM

*Vendor operating hours may vary 

Its pretty busy during the lunch rush now. Most of the vendors are open (I think Mama Ninfas is still temporally closed). Some of the vendors are not open on Fridays, and some are not open on weekends. 

• Like 3

Skanska sells rest of stake in Bank of America Tower in downtown Houston

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/07/20/skanska-sells-stake-bank-of-america-tower.html

Skanska is selling off the rest of its ownership stake in Bank of America Tower, the Sweden-based developer announced last week.

New York-based Skanska USA Commercial Development sold a 90% interest in the tower to an affiliate of Boston-based Beacon Capital Partners for $373 million in 2019. Now, the company is selling the remaining 10% to a Beacon affiliate, as well. The new $24 million deal is expected to close in the third quarter of 2021.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I've been to Understory a few times.  It's like people don't even know that it's open outside of lunch hours.  All the other food halls downtown seem to have more people in the evening than Understory.  How's the lunch crowd here?

The lunch crowd is pretty solid.  I've been there at least a dozen times, usually after 1pm, and it's good for that hour.  It's not Pennzoil Plaza basement, but it's respectable for post-lunch.  But you're right — even if you're one of the few people who know it exists, you probably don't know it's open after lunch.

I like Understory, and I appreciate that some of the stalls are open on the weekends.  The burger joint is good, if you're into that sort of thing.  The burgers aren't to my taste, but I seem to recall that the fries were excellent.

I go to the coffee shop down there every couple of weeks.

I know that it feels corporate and antiseptic, but I'm OK with that.  Post-COVID, I'll pick a clean looking food court over a faux "urban" food court every time.

Whoever runs it does seem to make an effort to do events.  There are often seasonal photo pop-up thingies for the twee crowd, and the occasional craft market.

What it needs most is to let people know it's there.  From the street, it looks like "Understory" is the name of the one street-level restaurant, and there's nothing else there.  Some signage is needed.  Also, as far as I can tell, it doesn't do any promotion outside of the building.  The only place I've ever seen it mentioned was in the Downtown District newsletter.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.
  • 4 months later...

Common Bond's brasserie concept at Understory may be closed, notes @jhjones74.

Understory is the food hall located at 800 Capitol St in Bank of America Tower.

Below is the post from the downtown Houston restaurant topic with its ever-changing title (now titled Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market as of August)

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/31454-downtown-restaurant-and-bar-market/?do=findComment&comment=692871

1 hour ago, jhjones74 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but the Common Bond in understory is closed from what I can see. It's listed as permanently closed on google, though I can't find any announcement on this. 

That was a place I always wished would stay open on the weekends. From what I could see, the bakery was always pretty busy during the week days. Curious if the brasserie concept has something to do with them closing - I never saw or heard of anybody really going there. Without knowing all the details, this seems to unfortunately suggest that despite the incremental population that's moved in downtown, even in probably the busiest food hall the support isn't there to make a concept like this work. Though to be fair they never seemed to make an attempt to cater to anything other than the lunch/business crowd

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is the post from the downtown Houston restaurant topic with its ever-changing title (now titled Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market as of August)

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/31454-downtown-restaurant-and-bar-market/?do=findComment&comment=692871

23 hours ago, @jhjones74 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but the Common Bond in understory is closed from what I can see. It's listed as permanently closed on google, though I can't find any announcement on this. 

That was a place I always wished would stay open on the weekends. From what I could see, the bakery was always pretty busy during the week days. Curious if the brasserie concept has something to do with them closing - I never saw or heard of anybody really going there. Without knowing all the details, this seems to unfortunately suggest that despite the incremental population that's moved in downtown, even in probably the busiest food hall the support isn't there to make a concept like this work. Though to be fair they never seemed to make an attempt to cater to anything other than the lunch/business crowd

I messaged Understory and Common Bond last evening about the closure. Understory replied back confirming Common Bond closed its 800 Capital St location over the weekend.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

23 hours ago, @jhjones74 said:

That was a place I always wished would stay open on the weekends. From what I could see, the bakery was always pretty busy during the week days. Curious if the brasserie concept has something to do with them closing - I never saw or heard of anybody really going there. Without knowing all the details, this seems to unfortunately suggest that despite the incremental population that's moved in downtown, even in probably the busiest food hall the support isn't there to make a concept like this work. Though to be fair they never seemed to make an attempt to cater to anything other than the lunch/business crowd

9 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I messaged Understory and Common Bond last evening about the closure. Understory replied back confirming Common Bond closed its 800 Capital St location over the weekend.

CultureMap published an article on Common Bond closing its brasserie concept at 800 Capitol St:

The downtown branch of a Houston bakery staple has quietly closed. Common Bond has shuttered its brasserie location in the Bank of America tower.

A representative provided the following statement in response to CultureMap’s request for comment: "Common Bond Brasserie Downtown has closed. Our lease has ended, and we felt it was best to concentrate on the Bistro & Bakery and On-The-Go locations.”

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/common-bond-downtown-closed/

Exterior photo of Common Bond's location at Bank of America Tower is below. The photo is included in the article.

EEfeGBF.jpg

• 3 months later...