Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

Outside of barriers being moved around the sidewalks and streets, this site has been silent all week, and today there's lots of activity. People everywhere and there are crane pieces everywhere, and flatbeds with more crane pieces.

They're definitely adding another crane to the scene.

• Like 3

Or maybe the plan is, Skanska gets their cranes in place, and every time they get a lease, they build just enough floors to cover the space leased. The catch is, a new lease has to happen within six months each time, otherwise the cranes come down. So if only one tenant signs a lease this year, they build just a few floors, and then that's it, they finish the tower at 6 or however many stories. On the other hand, if tenants keep leasing more space, they keep going until it's over 100 stories. Pretty cool game on Skanska's part!

Otherwise I think hindesky is probably correct, the tower is going to be built as planned, full speed ahead.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, enriquewx91 said:

I wet myself. In all seriousness though, will this tower be somewhat visible in the skyline or will it just get lost in the sea of buildings. 

From this video looks like the northern view may change a bit.

It'll only be seen from the folks driving in on the North Frwy or along I-10 as they pass in front of the skyline. Other than that, it'll be lost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxman said:

It'll only be seen from the folks driving in on the North Frwy or along I-10 as they pass in front of the skyline. Other than that, it'll be lost.

Thats not exactly true. It will be visible from the southeast on 288. I go over 288 at Magregor and from that angle it will be visible and on the Allen Parkway side of the bayou there will be another view of it. It will be the backdrop to  Pennzoil from the west. I looked at images of our skyline and there are several places where you can see the Pennzoil and the block to its east which is where this building is going. Its really just a few feet taller than Pennzoil and surrounded by 50 and 70 story buildings so its not going to change the overall skyline  much but it will create a denser and more varied texture to those views I mentioned.

• Like 6

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/04/05/with-foundation-already-poured-new-skanska-skyscraper-will-zoom-onto-houston-skyline-in-record-time/

HOUSTON – Skanska USA’s Capitol Tower will make its appearance on Houston’s downtown skyline in record time, perhaps with building being completed before the start of 2019.

So instead of waiting two years for the building to be finished, the Capitol Tower could be finished with “core and shell” construction in 18 months.

We asked the hypothetical question to Michael G. Scheurich, CEO of Arch-Con Construction of Houston. “On a 35-story building with the excavation and foundation work done, I would say you are saving four to six months,” says Scheurich.

Why does this matter?

The Houston office market is in recovery right now. Houston has the highest office vacancy rate (21.5 percent) in the nation, according to a recent report by Marcus & Millichap. Houston leads the nation in sublease office supply – over 11 million SF, CBRE reports.

So with Skanska’s new building hitting the market, the supply of downtown space will be even more bloated. And Skanska’s tower is coming quickly.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

Where does this put CBRE? It sounded like they were looking to move / centralize in one building.

It would be cool if they either took the space in BOA Building or was the lead tenant at 1 Market Square.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

Where does this put CBRE? It sounded like they were looking to move / centralize in one building.

It would be cool if they either took the space in BOA Building or was the lead tenant at 1 Market Square.

Oh, CBRE wouldn't centralize. We have several locations throughout Houston and I highly doubt they would leave Willis Tower. I could see them taking a floor or two at Capitol Tower and that was the rumor. Either way, this project is moving forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Triton said:

Oh, CBRE wouldn't centralize. We have several locations throughout Houston and I highly doubt they would leave Willis Tower. I could see them taking a floor or two at Capitol Tower and that was the rumor. Either way, this project is moving forward.

Ah ok. Well obviously CBRE needs offices in every city, but i had thought CREguy said something about them being a lead tenant. I might have been mistaken.

How many employees does CBRE have in Houston?

• Like 1