The Recenter: Phase I & II At 3809 Main St.

DrLan34

I knew it would bring jokes... but I'm serious. I think this facility could really be put to good use for a purpose like this. Like I said earlier, taxpayers have already footed the bill for a good chunk of the cost. Just remodel it to have beds and kitchens, then allow non-profits to operate the thing.

Houston Center for Sobriety is opening up soon: http://swamplot.com/downtown-warehouse-to-sober-up-and-get-a-new-life/2012-08-16/

I wonder how often this will be used for homeless types that get pinched on public drunkenness. Maybe it will relieve some of the burden on our jails and homeless services. I really think jail should only be used for people who are an active danger to others, and not merely disorderly.

To misquote the great Yoda, "There is another" option. Somebody phone Ms. Parker and have her create a new tax, I mean fee or something so we can do more than air-condition the AstroTurf.*

133_astrodome_one_lg.jpg

*No Nitch, I'm not sersiously suggesting that:

-They should do this

-The AstroTurf is currently being air-conditioned

-Ms. Parker divert taxpayer, um er "Feepayer" monies to this

-This Mid-Century Modern wonder should be used to house them when the current build is okay.

Edited by TGM
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

You can't just move in and toss out people like they are garbage. Money buys property but not always influence. And no zoning is why overall the city of houston is a joke.

No, the city is a joke because of inefficiency, corruption, and lack of fiscal discipline.

The lack of zoning has ensured that relatively affordable homes can be built in the city, which are purchased by those moving from cities with zoning in place. Not much left to zone in Detroit, Buffalo,etc.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Today's demolition report on Swamplot included what looked like Recenter, across from 3800 Main.  It says something about "Kirby Main Street" which doesn't make sense really, seeing as Kirby is way west of there.  Anyone know what it's for?

http://swamplot.com/daily-demolition-report-recentering-removal/2015-12-10/

• Like 1

New housing complex for the Men's Center. 

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ahp-grant-to-help-mens-center-build-new-housing-complex-in-houston-300141578.html

The grant will help the Houston-based nonprofit build a $12.2 million, 56-unit housing complex for men and women ages 18 and older who are recovering from substance abuse and other crisis situations.

The project is in the permitting stage and is expected to begin construction soon at 3809 Main Street in an area of Houston known as Midtown. The housing complex will replace The Men's Center's two main buildings that face Main Street, which will be torn down.

http://www.hrc.hctx.net/news/

post-5633-0-72567400-1449776307_thumb.jp

Meanwhile, Phase II, The Hope Center, is slated to begin this year. It will replace the original central facility in front of downtown's light rail. The new building will include office space for staff including the new case managers, a dining hall, and conference rooms for groups that meet regularly at the Center, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Cocaine Anonymous, and Narcotics Anonymous.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 6

So ignoring the fact that you couldn't read well enough to notice the differences between the two phases for just a second, I find it hilarious that you somehow think the needy and the less fortunate should be denied access to area simply because of their situation; that sweeping the issue under the rug, out of sight out of mind style, somehow solves the issue of homelessness.

Now, back to the reading comprehension, or lack thereof; you should know that the facility going up on the rail line is for the offices and for those who are already seeking help for their addictions. You get that, right? It's not for "drug addicts and bums" although I love the sweeping generalization. It's for the former drug addicts and bums.

It's hilarious that, on a forum that complains about the homeless issue in downtown, you would also complain about facilities that are trying desperately to solve this issue at "ground zero", if you would. The only other option I see is loading all the homeless drug addicts and bums into trucks and shipping them off to a camp devoted to these groups, and that, my friend, is why I would like to introduce to you a man who is this close to doing such a thing; Donald Trump. Make America Great Again!*

*by way of internment camps

Edited by BigFootsSocks
  • Like 3

1024x1024.jpg

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Midtown-Men-s-Center-rebrands-and-rebuilds-6697104.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

The Men's Center, a 65-year-old Houston recovery organization for alcoholics and drug users, is rebuilding its Midtown campus, rebranding and opening its doors to women.

Demolition will begin today on the group's existing buildings along Main Street for a new facility to be developed at 3809 Main. The planned five-story, 50,000-square-foot building is scheduled to open in spring 2017.

statement from design firm Brave Architecture described elements of the new building: 

Corrugated metal panels and tall storefront windows clad the first floor, delivering strength that can endure the heavy traffic on Main Street with transparency necessary to weave the building into the urban fabric.

Separating the dining room and kitchen from the meeting room and lounge is an 18-foot wide breezeway perpendicular to Main Street, which is treated as an extension of the urban cityscape expressive of the public mission of (Recenter), and provides a covered, off-street space for the visitors to congregate.

The building's orientation parallel to Main Street also provides optimum orientation for naturally ventilating the hallways. At the end of each hallway will be a screened wall and a concealed ventilation fan ensuring comfortable air movement while providing security and protection from the elements. The residential floors are connected by an open-air stairwell that leads down to the second floor terrace, also supplying the hallways with natural light and acting as a solar chimney to ventilate hot air during summer days.

• Like 6

So ignoring the fact that you couldn't read well enough to notice the differences between the two phases for just a second, I find it hilarious that you somehow think the needy and the less fortunate should be denied access to area simply because of their situation; that sweeping the issue under the rug, out of sight out of mind style, somehow solves the issue of homelessness.

Now, back to the reading comprehension, or lack thereof; you should know that the facility going up on the rail line is for the offices and for those who are already seeking help for their addictions. You get that, right? It's not for "drug addicts and bums" although I love the sweeping generalization. It's for the former drug addicts and bums.

It's hilarious that, on a forum that complains about the homeless issue in downtown, you would also complain about facilities that are trying desperately to solve this issue at "ground zero", if you would. The only other option I see is loading all the homeless drug addicts and bums into trucks and shipping them off to a camp devoted to these groups, and that, my friend, is why I would like to introduce to you a man who is this close to doing such a thing; Donald Trump. Make America Great Again!*

*by way of internment camps

The press release says that it will also be a detox center for people just entering recovery.  It also says that it will provide meals for the homeless still living on the streets.  To suggest that this won't be an eye sore and/or dangerous is naive.  No doubt these services are needed, but i agree with the point that perhaps the best place for this is not along the rail across the street from new "luxury" apartments, class a office space, and new retail/restaurants.  They could have sold the land and moved just a few blocks off the rail -- with the money they saved, they could have offered much more in services.  

• Like 1