Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

If this renovation is truly underway, then there would be an astounding 1684 units under construction in Downtown during this time. With potential additional population being anywhere in the range of 2021 (1.2/unit) - 2863 (1.7/unit) extra people. 

Current Downtown residential projects under construction: 

The Preston: 373 units

Fairfield Residential: 291 units

Block 98: 309 units

Sovereign at the Ballpark: 229 units

Potentially This: 482 units 

Talk about a surprising residential boom. You can honestly take this further and include the 2nd Camden tower and the block 114 tower, easily blasting this to 2259 additional units, but I would say that is wishful thinking for now... or is it.

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 8

On 8/20/2020 at 8:22 AM, Specwriter said:

Is anyone familiar with the Torre de David in Caracas, Venezuela? It is never finished residential tower that was "colonized" by some homeless in the city. The government was either powerless or indifferent to prevent it though the residents were relocated in 2014, some 20 years after some had first move in. There was book published about the building available on Amazon of course. https://www.amazon.com/Torre-David-Informal-Vertical-Communities/dp/3037782986

Actually the government encouraged the invasion as well as the invasion of the SAMBIL mall they expropriated a few blocks away. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

20200904_093528.jpg.33d6d36091b67370220c97aa05290fc2.jpg

This is a picture from today of a maintenance crew buttoning up the outside of the building. When I took the picture I ran into a sort of supervisor who shared some of what is going on (at least as much as he knows).

According to this guy, "everything is on the table" as for the next use of the building. Even some major hotel chains are showing interest. Or possibly turning it into condos such as those across the street at 2016 Main Street. Or maybe a plan more similar, smaller rental units, to what was shown to the City.

The major problem with the building wasn't the homeless as "No one really cares about them. They get in, one or two at a time, and do what they wanted but didn't impact anyone else." The problem is what, when I was a kid, were called juvenile delinquents. They get in with groups of a dozen or more and party and break things and then got into the habit of throwing rocks from the top floors. One projectile hit a HPD cruiser and the City quickly became very involved. The guy talking to me said that's why things are happening quickly now. "Either take care of it or the City will take it."

The company behind the recent activity is not the Chicago company but a company that has developed hotels in Houston.  I don't know if they are working with the Chicago company or on their own or something in between. I don't even knows who really owns the building.

The guy says that a decision on what to do has been slowed by the COVID world but a final decision is likely before the end of the year.

The long strange history of this building continues.

So... nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

20200904_093528.jpg.33d6d36091b67370220c97aa05290fc2.jpg

This is a picture from today of a maintenance crew buttoning up the outside of the building. When I took the picture I ran into a sort of supervisor who shared some of what is going on (at least as much as he knows).

According to this guy, "everything is on the table" as for the next use of the building. Even some major hotel chains are showing interest. Or possibly turning it into condos such as those across the street at 2016 Main Street. Or maybe a plan more similar, smaller rental units, to what was shown to the City.

The major problem with the building wasn't the homeless as "No one really cares about them. They get in, one or two at a time, and do what they wanted but didn't impact anyone else." The problem is what, when I was a kid, were called juvenile delinquents. They get in with groups of a dozen or more and party and break things and then got into the habit of throwing rocks from the top floors. One projectile hit a HPD cruiser and the City quickly became very involved. The guy talking to me said that's why things are happening quickly now. "Either take care of it or the City will take it."

The company behind the recent activity is not the Chicago company but a company that has developed hotels in Houston.  I don't know if they are working with the Chicago company or on their own or something in between. I don't even knows who really owns the building.

The guy says that a decision on what to do has been slowed by the COVID world but a final decision is likely before the end of the year.

The long strange history of this building continues.

Thanks for the update! 

• 1 month later...

Holy bananas how did I miss all of the updates to this thread over the last 3 months. 

3bR7.gif

I always thought that the small room sizes in this property may be a challenge, but it would be fantastic to add some pricing variation to downtown (and even Midtown). 

Based on room size, a hotel makes the most sense, but this area needs residents and not temporary guests imho. People that can take advantage of the YMCA next door and if the NHHIP and the city develops the land the Pierce Elevated land into parks or whatever, that there are more residents that are nearby. 

You have to think that the new BRT lines connect with the downtown transit center, so this might be one of the best transit-connected blocks in the city. Could be direct BRT to the Galleria/HSR/IAH, direct LRT to NRG/Med Center/UHD and LRT->BRT/LRT connection to TSU, UH, the other sports stadiums, etc.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, cspwal said:

It will be very well connected, but I think the BRT will connect at Central Station (for Inner Katy) and Wheeler (for University line)

Wheeler is a no-brainer for University, but Central Station is so annoying for Inner Katy/IAH. I really think that they should integrate 2 stations. Preston and Convention would be a nice combo imho and would allow easy connections while also offering super easy Discovery Green/Convention center access for IAH BRT.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wilcal said:

Wheeler is a no-brainer for University, but Central Station is so annoying for Inner Katy/IAH. I really think that they should integrate 2 stations. Preston and Convention would be a nice combo imho and would allow easy connections while also offering super easy Discovery Green/Convention center access for IAH BRT.

I think they are a long ways from having made any decisions about the end-point, stops, and connecting points for the IAH BRT.  From the MetroNext website:  "NOTE: During the course of the implementation of METRONext, exact routes of the METRORapid and METRORail connections shown will only be decided and finalized after an extensive community involvement process."

11 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I think they are a long ways from having made any decisions about the end-point, stops, and connecting points for the IAH BRT.  From the MetroNext website:  "NOTE: During the course of the implementation of METRONext, exact routes of the METRORapid and METRORail connections shown will only be decided and finalized after an extensive community involvement process."

It can't be too much longer! Inner Katy BRT/elevated HOV funding from HGAC is set for 2021 fiscal year. Even if two-way HOV on 45 won't be done for a decade due to NHHIP, the cost to implement BRT to IAH is relatively low. Just skip the planned red line extension station until that's finished and build the BRT stations at Greenspoint and IAH. Not much community involvement needed on where to plan these specific items. 

Also, maybe they'll finally close Main St to cars and they can make a cool BRT station. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wilcal said:

It can't be too much longer! Inner Katy BRT/elevated HOV funding from HGAC is set for 2021 fiscal year. Even if two-way HOV on 45 won't be done for a decade due to NHHIP, the cost to implement BRT to IAH is relatively low. Just skip the planned red line extension station until that's finished and build the BRT stations at Greenspoint and IAH. Not much community involvement needed on where to plan these specific items. 

Also, maybe they'll finally close Main St to cars and they can make a cool BRT station. 

Honestly, I'm more excited that the BRT sharing stations with the green/purple lines might finally get the city to make those lanes dedicated transit instead of turn-only. Anything to improve the slog through all those lights for the train . . .

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, HouTXRanger said:

Honestly, I'm more excited that the BRT sharing stations with the green/purple lines might finally get the city to make those lanes dedicated transit instead of turn-only. Anything to improve the slog through all those lights for the train . . .

It would really be incredible. However, I remember reading about how someone, maybe downtown district(?) made them promise to keep the lanes accessible to cars. It's been awhile, and clearly downtown tirz is acting progressively (bagby st rebuild) so who knows!

I wish Metro would be more forthcoming with their potential plans.

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Holiday / Days / Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 Calhoun
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 Calhoun
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Photo: Abandoned Days Inn Hotel At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It sounds like someone may have purchased this building and intends to do a conversion on it. 

From the Downtown TIRZ board of directors meeting on Jan 10th 2023 

(Page 148)

Highlight: Within the month of December, CHI was approached by a local developer to help inform an investment & development group from NYC regarding the potential acquisition and conversion of a major Downtown Houston asset which has sat vacant for years.
CHI's research lead and executive team spent approximately 20 hours responding to their research requests, including items such as the residential pipeline, historical population trends, and projected tax liabilities, and forecasts for potential development support tools. CHI management understands that the group closed on the property on Dec 31 and intends to advance the project.

I can’t think of another “major downtown asset” that’s sat vacant for years that would be suitable for conversion. Am I missing any?

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BEES?! said:

It sounds like someone may have purchased this building and intends to do a conversion on it. 

(Page 148)

Highlight: Within the month of December, CHI was approached by a local developer to help inform an investment & development group from NYC regarding the potential acquisition and conversion of a major Downtown Houston asset which has sat vacant for years.
CHI's research lead and executive team spent approximately 20 hours responding to their research requests, including items such as the residential pipeline, historical population trends, and projected tax liabilities, and forecasts for potential development support tools. CHI management understands that the group closed on the property on Dec 31 and intends to advance the project.

I can’t think of another “major downtown asset” that’s sat vacant for years that would be suitable for conversion. Am I missing any?

800 Bell may fit that bill, going on 8 years now, and certainly would be better described as a "major downtown asset" than this.  But I hope you're right!

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Parkway
2 hours ago, BEES?! said:

(Page 148)

Conversion to residential?