MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Holiday / Days / Heaven On Earth Inn (801 Calhoun)

jfre81    41

metro144.jpg

Now if we could find a sucker for the other eyesore on the other side of the Pierce...

metro149.jpg

metro152.jpg

sevfiv    1344
wow, your site is a great source. I'll have to check it out more often.

I always thought it was occupied at once growing up, b/c I had memories of it not looking so bad.

Anyone know if the size of the rooms are up to today's standards and would be worthy of renovating?

Thanks - I do what i can :)

I have a brochure of this hotel from the late seventies/early eighties but I need to locate the scans...

Jeebus    87

To me, it seems like the Central Bank would have more potential for a renovation than the Days Inn would.

musicman    178
Now if we could find a sucker for the other eyesore on the other side of the Pierce...

i guess the eyesore is in the eye of the beholder.

lockmat    1854

the garage looks pretty ugly. but i guess you're not talking about the holiday inn

musicman    178
Nope, the Century Building, which is discussed here

yep...way better than anything built new in midtown.

jfre81    41

Well, it wasn't a bad building when it was new and I like that wall on the south side.

Maybe if that wall faced the freeway it wouldn't look so bad. But....what can you do?

It's just kind of embarrassing to have that kind of highly visible blight right there next to the gleaming CBD but I guess that stuff happens.

jdbaker    17
That's got to be from at least the mid-80s because there's Hakeem Olajuwon in a Rockets uniform on the brochure showing different attractions (Hakeem represented the Summit)

Hopefully this might be the start of something good on the south side of Downtown.

There was definitely more work going on this afternoon at the Holiday Inn. Has anyone figured who bought it yet?

Subdude    1281
There was definitely more work going on this afternoon at the Holiday Inn. Has anyone figured who bought it yet?

What kind of work? If it were anything substantive it seems something would have leaked out.

sevfiv    1344

I can't find any permits issued for that address yet (or the surrounding three streets or any address number on those four blocks). So either they are brand brand new, doing work that doesn't require a permit, or doing it without permits.

Is there anything posted on the walls/windows?

The only other ones were from last September when the sidewalk canopy was worked on, and one for demolition of non load-bearing/non fire-rated walls (which would be the ones in the garage).

jdbaker    17
I can't find any permits issued for that address yet (or the surrounding three streets or any address number on those four blocks). So either they are brand brand new, doing work that doesn't require a permit, or doing it without permits.

Is there anything posted on the walls/windows?

The only other ones were from last September when the sidewalk canopy was worked on, and one for demolition of non load-bearing/non fire-rated walls (which would be the ones in the garage).

Yesterday, it looked like they were doing something with the electrical service panels on the western most side of the parking garage portion of the building. There were several workers wandering around when I drove by.

ricco67    382

Well, it has been confirmed, now it is just a matter of figuring out who "New Era Hospitality" is. Couldn't find anything on the web.

Subdude    1281

I would guess its just a private investment group. The "hospitality" would suggest that it will be a hotel (again).

Houston19514    2162

Sarnoff has a bit in today's Chron about the old Days Inn. It seems it has been sold again, to an entity called New Era Hospitality. Sarnoff's column

The name of the entity suggests they are likely aiming for a hotel, rather than a loft redevelopment. Let's hope this one goes somewhere...

RedScare    1636

As much as lofts may be the IN thing to wish for in downtown, it seems as if hotel rooms are both more desirable and more profitable. Besides, at this point, is there anyone out there that wouldn't take a 30 story mattress store and cell phone superstore, just to get SOMETHING in there?

Jax    627
Besides, at this point, is there anyone out there that wouldn't take a 30 story mattress store and cell phone superstore, just to get SOMETHING in there?

Haha so true.

I'm trying to think of the potential clientelle of a hotel at that location. You have the Crown a few blocks to the west on Smith but that's it for the immediate vicinity. OTOH, there's not that much of an attractor in the immediate area--or at least not compared to other areas of DT.

KinkaidAlum    2094

Downtown is in desperate need of a lower-priced national brand hotel. The Holiday Inn Express is very isolated and quite small. The Best Western is on the other side of the Pierce Elevated. La Quinta has announced a new project but there is definitely room for another lower type brand.

Could we see a Hampton Inn, Drury Inn, etc... in that space?

I hope so!

jfre81    41
Could we see a Hampton Inn, Drury Inn, etc... in that space?

I hope so!

I'm not a huge fan of the building aesthetically - even spruced up it's just too big and kills a great view of the skyline behind it looking from the SW on the ground - and wouldn't be so hurt to see it come down. But if they can get it in shape (that could actually be cheaper nowadays) and price the rooms right I think this project can succeed. There are some nice views up there and it's still just a block away from the rail while also being accessible to Midtown. It's preservation, FWIW.

Now that it looks like something is happening with this, if it succeeds it gives hope to some other older DT buildings (including hotels) that need a little TLC....what if, say, having a new rail line along Texas spurs interest in bringing the Ben Milam back to life?

sevfiv    1344

Whatever "New Era Hospitality, Inc." is, it is run by this guy at this place:

Syed R. Mohiuddin

2800 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 5800

Houston, TX 77056