Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

On 6/24/2017 at 10:52 PM, HoustonIsHome said:

The gates to the garage had been taken off for days. But it read secured again Friday. I saw some teenagers walking up the ramp into the garage one morning but as soon as they turned the corner into the garage they ran out

I'm imagining the teenagers looked like this:

B4YIeDD.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

"KHOU 11 met with the owners on Tuesday. They didn’t want to go on camera, but did say they have nearly completed an $85 million dollar hotel renovation plan.

However, they said they are still trying to get financing."

http://www.khou.com/news/future-remains-uncertain-for-dangerous-downtown-building/456267629

Edited by downtownian
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, downtownian said:

"KHOU 11 met with the owners on Tuesday. They didn’t want to go on camera, but did say they have nearly completed an $85 million dollar hotel renovation plan.

However, they said they are still trying to get financing."

http://www.khou.com/news/future-remains-uncertain-for-dangerous-downtown-building/456267629

I hope they are right and wish them luck, but a nearly completed plan without financing isn't anywhere near complete.

• Like 1

Geez.. i like to dabble in photography and explore, but I can't say I've done much urban exploration, or know anyone into urbex to go with me to check this building out.. im not stupid enough to go alone, so I haven't ever been, but this has always seemed like it would be an amazing place to check out.

Though after reading these posts about being held hostage and the place being deemed "dangerous", the allure of exploring this has worn off a bit.. Haha.

And yeah.. the owners development plans being close to "finalized", with no sign of financial backing is pretty comical.

• 2 weeks later...

No, this is great news and I hope that some of my letters and emails to all city office holders and Bob Eury helped stir the city into a more aggressive approach. I saw images of it in swamplot today.

Its going to improve the skyline view from the Pierce elevated going north. It won't be quite the eyesore thats its been for far too long.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

Isn't the old Savoy a Holiday Inn (regular) now.

IHG has a ton of non-HI brands, but referencing Holiday Inn with a "triple branded" option seems like they would use them all up.

IHG has at least a dozen different flags.  They currently have a Holiday Inn and a Holiday Inn Express downtown. That leaves them with 10 flags to choose from, without duplicating.

14 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

IHG has at least a dozen different flags.  They currently have a Holiday Inn and a Holiday Inn Express downtown. That leaves them with 10 flags to choose from, without duplicating.

Right, I was essentially wondering why the article didn't refer to IHG instead of "Holiday Inn".  Plenty of brands to choose from, but probably no Holiday Inn varieties.

Edited by Nate99

5 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Weird.  I wonder what's going on here?

I did some digging:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/exclusive-look-inside-dangerous-vacant-downtown-hotel/456536135

He said they are beginning to clean the graffiti from the exterior and will be placing large cinder blocks at the entrances to the property.

The contractor told KHOU 11 News if work progress continues at this rate, the building will be completely gutted and cleaned by the end of the summer.

SFK Development, Inc. owners say they are nearly 90 percent finished with a hotel development plan for the building.

• Like 2