Holiday/Days/Heaven On Earth Inn At 801 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 4 weeks later...

Last night prior to the rain storm there was some strong winds that blew glass and metal debris over the block south of it. The portion of St. Joseph Pkwy. in front of the bldg was covered in broken safety glass with crumpled mullions littering the sidewalk in front of the Lonestar bar's parking lot. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, infinite_jim said:

Last night prior to the rain storm there was some strong winds that blew glass and metal debris over the block south of it. The portion of St. Joseph Pkwy. in front of the bldg was covered in broken safety glass with crumpled mullions littering the sidewalk in front of the Lonestar bar's parking lot. 

Damn this is completely unacceptable by the COH. Well overdue in mandating that the property owners maintain their property. 

Re: Midtown Randall's 

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, Ross said:

It's a decent store, with lots of stuff.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, cspwal said:

It does tend to have a small selection of produce sometimes, especially right before the trucks get in. 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, kbates2 said:

I went to that Randall’s on 04/15.  Most of the milk in stock  had expired on 04/09, the rest expired the next day.  Their management could use some work.

This store seems to be geared for a specific demographic: young, single, conventional, with a fairly high disposable income. There are definitely fewer choices of products and they tend to skew towards the higher priced brands, with an emphasis on convenience. They stopped carrying the brand of espresso I've been using for years but have alternatives at twice the price (and identical quality, IMHO). Don't count on being able to find tomatillos or lemon grass in the produce department.
An entire aisle is dedicated to nothing but bottled sports drinks.
I agree with kbates2 that they tend to be careless or indifferent about expiration dates, also about posting prices. If it's not listed, I'm not buying.
It's not altogether a bad store, but I doubt that it's anyone's favorite.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

This store seems to be geared for a specific demographic: young, single, conventional, with a fairly high disposable income. There are definitely fewer choices of products and they tend to skew towards the higher priced brands, with an emphasis on convenience. They stopped carrying the brand of espresso I've been using for years but have alternatives at twice the price (and identical quality, IMHO). Don't count on being able to find tomatillos or lemon grass in the produce department.
I agree with kbates2 that they tend to be careless or indifferent about expiration dates, also about posting prices. If it's not listed, I'm not buying.

As a Midtown resident, I don’t have any issues with Randall’s. Conveniently located for me, especially when it rains (underground parking garage).

We’ll see how my opinion changes once Whole Foods opens (across the street from my residence) 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 6

On 5/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, dbigtex56 said:

I checked on friday, they had tomatillos.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How has this eyesore been allowed to remain in this condition for so long? From what I have read, the current owner has owned it since 2012, and last I read they claimed in 2016 they had plans to make it back into a hotel, but it's been two years, and at least from the Pierce Elevated, it looks like no progress has been made. More than just an eyesore, this building has been a dangerous haven for the homeless, and I don't just mean that there is probably a lot of drug use and other crime going on in it, it looks to me structurally unsafe for homeless people to be in. It amazes me that someone would sit on such an expensive piece of property for so long, paying taxes on it while generating no revenue from it, not to mention exposing themselves to liability from it. Is there any remedy the City can take to put a lien on the property and/or otherwise take it over and demolish it?

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, Reefmonkey said:

How has this eyesore been allowed to remain in this condition for so long? From what I have read, the current owner has owned it since 2012, and last I read they claimed in 2016 they had plans to make it back into a hotel, but it's been two years, and at least from the Pierce Elevated, it looks like no progress has been made. More than just an eyesore, this building has been a dangerous haven for the homeless, and I don't just mean that there is probably a lot of drug use and other crime going on in it, it looks to me structurally unsafe for homeless people to be in. It amazes me that someone would sit on such an expensive piece of property for so long, paying taxes on it while generating no revenue from it, not to mention exposing themselves to liability from it. Is there any remedy the City can take to put a lien on the property and/or otherwise take it over and demolish it?

Here's a 14 year old thread from the Downtown subforum. This thing's infamy is pretty legendary.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/2503-holiday-days-heaven-on-earth-inn-801-calhoun/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Elseed said:

The entire building should just have murals on it.That would look pretty sweet. Either way I hope they don't tear it down. Abandoned or not we still needs as many buildings as possible in the city.

Insteadc the put the multistory sky dancers on another building. 

I’d be down for letting the building become Houston’s version of 5 Pointz or Graffiti Park. Let Gonzo247 & other local artists go wild with the entire building as their canvas. 

Edited by tigereye

• 4 months later...

Turn it into a giant climbing structure?!  Would be pretty neat I assume for rock climbers?  All the while it would provide for a use while the economics of either demolishing it, or renovating becomes favorable.  Besides 2 working elevators (not sure code would allow just 1?), and some minimal restrooms/lockers, you’d be able to maybe carve out some parkour areas too?  Within the lower floors?

Edited by arche_757

• 4 weeks later...

How is this not on the yearly list of eyesores needing to be demolished by the COH? If they're pumping water every time it rains, the structure has to be dangerous to the public. I guess we have to wait for something bad to happen to a pedestrian before the city will do anything.