Perry for President?

lockmat

Should he be the president based on these numbers alone? I mean, dang!

In those 10 years, Texas gained 732,800 private sector jobs, far ahead of the number two and three states, Arizona (90,200) and Nevada (90,000). The nation overall lost more than 2 million private sector jobs, with the biggest losses coming in California (623,700), Michigan (619,200) and Ohio (460,900).
More than 7 times more???!!! All he'd have to do is walk around with a t-shirt on that had these statistics :P

In 1970 New York had 18 million people. In 2010 New York had 19 million people. In 1970 Texas had 11 million people. In 2010 Texas had 25 million people.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexa...s#ixzz1OzukJu2Z

You seem to be of the delusion that Perry is somehow responsible for the creation of these jobs. Texas is successful in spite of Rick Perry, not because of him.

But, hey, he's throwing a prayer meeting, so a Republican presidential campaign can't be far away, right? Because that's all this country needs is a few prayer meetings and everything will be alright.

Perry isn't even popular in Texas, so I don't see how he could possibly be elected President of the United States, particularly with the post-Bush hangover still lingering.

Isn't he the longest termed governor in Texas history?

You seem to be of the delusion that Perry is somehow responsible for the creation of these jobs. Texas is successful in spite of Rick Perry, not because of him.

But, hey, he's throwing a prayer meeting, so a Republican presidential campaign can't be far away, right? Because that's all this country needs is a few prayer meetings and everything will be alright.

Is it the mayors?

More than 7 times more???!!! All he'd have to do is walk around with a t-shirt on that had these statistics :P

1. Government figureheads from the executive branch do not make jobs. They can kill jobs with crap policies. They can be the unwitting recipient of jobs from other jurisdictions that have crap policies. But it's really hard to be proactive on job creation and not find yourself in a situation where you're moving money around from one potential use to another and then declaring victory. Rick Perry does that a lot.

2. Rick Perry is too fiscally liberal. Over the past ten years, he has signed off on legislation that has significantly increased inflation-adjusted tax collections per capita in Texas. And the only reason that there's a budget shortfall is that he increased State spending at an even faster rate.

Perry isn't even popular in Texas, so I don't see how he could possibly be elected President of the United States, particularly with the post-Bush hangover still lingering.

Perry could portray himself as the Bloody Mary, the hair of the dog that the nation thinks it needs to come out of its hangover. And certainly, the nastiness of a Perry presidential campaign would focus in on that aspect. Obama made it possible. Obama was supposed to be FDR to Bush's Hoover. Obama was supposed to usher in an era of change. What we got was pocket change, and it's left everyone a bit cynical. I'm not saying that Obama is incompetent or anything, just that after his electoral grandstanding, we got to see that he was just another post-Reagan president, not at all unlike the others. If Obama tries to use the same kind of rhetoric he has previously, it'll be empty and transparent.

I think that Perry would also make a rather typical and middling President, but he is able to portray a more dynamic and exciting personality...and that's partly because he is a character (almost cartoonish), but also because outside of his own state, nobody would know him for who he is. He would be able to claim a good track record with Texas' economy (whether it actually reflects on him or not). And he would deeply appeal to the Republican base and be able to drive turnout; meanwhile, he would lampoon Obama, the crappy four years and the broken promises and broken dreams, and suppress turnout from the opposition's base. That's what it's about. He could do it. His campaigns are just that nasty and aggressive.

BTW, I'm not endorsing either. I do not like either. And whomever the GOP runs in 2012, I won't like them. These are merely my observations of a voting public that I can only ever share a comraderie with when I'm drunk off my rocker. I have no respect for them at any other point in time.

It would be funny if someone "accidentally" slipped this into the teleprompter while Perry is "praying"...

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

.-Matthew 6:5-7

1. Government figureheads from the executive branch do not make jobs. They can kill jobs with crap policies. They can be the unwitting recipient of jobs from other jurisdictions that have crap policies. But it's really hard to be proactive on job creation and not find yourself in a situation where you're moving money around from one potential use to another and then declaring victory. Rick Perry does that a lot.

You're right, and I'm not defending Perry, just the argument, but can't a policy maker help create jobs indirectly by not passing certain laws and allowing pro business through good or a lack of laws?

It is the petroleum.

You're mostly right, I'm sure. But what about Dallas, Austin and San Antonio? I know oil has a presence there, too, and for sure in west Texas, but how much of those economies is actually made up of oil?

You're right, and I'm not defending Perry, just the argument, but can't a policy maker help create jobs indirectly by not passing certain laws and allowing pro business through good or a lack of laws?

Yes. And they can do that by doing things like, say, cutting education spending, or spending on parks, or on transportation spending, or by refusing federal help with unemployment benefits, or slashing regulatory budgets. Just imagine how many jobs we could create if we got rid of, or cut funding for, regulation of meatpacking or maybe lead paint in children's toys. So some folks die of food poisoning or some kids get brain damage from lead exposure. No big deal, right? As long as we create more jobs.

Of course these are just academic musings...not that any politician would dream of gutting regulatory agencies or slash education spending. Or that people would actually vote for them, if, for instance they did these things.

• 2 months later...

He really hasn't done much for the state and us basically a figure head.

I'm voting romney. Hilary if she runs.

Literally. He looks like a "figure" "head". The freakin cheesy smile, sculpted hair, and when he talks it's like pulling the string on a cliche republican doll. And if you forced me to pick a party, which I won't, I would pick republican!! So I'm not just speaking as some right-hater. He just bothers me.

Literally. He looks like a "figure" "head". The freakin cheesy smile, sculpted hair, and when he talks it's like pulling the string on a cliche republican doll. And if you forced me to pick a party, which I won't, I would pick republican!! So I'm not just speaking as some right-hater. He just bothers me.

from what I can tel, I'm one of the few people on this system that won't go for just one party, and perry is just plain odd.

perry is just plain odd.

That much is certainly true. He turned up at some event when I was in high school where the band was performing. He was positioned behind them for a period of time and gave one of the tuba players a back rub. He didn't ask whether the back rub was wanted or anything. He just started in on it. Made that guy really uncomforable.

That much is certainly true. He turned up at some event when I was in high school where the band was performing. He was positioned behind them for a period of time and gave one of the tuba players a back rub. He didn't ask whether the back rub was wanted or anything. He just started in on it. Made that guy really uncomforable.

Funny, G.W. Bush gave an awkward back rub to an unsuspecting German Chancellor Merkel a few years back. Peculiar.

mn_bush_merkel.jpg

How many of those jobs are at walmart, check cashing places, game rooms, autobuses americanos, or simply low-end?

I'm glad the population of Texas is growing and growing. However, how many of those are katrinians or illegal aliens?

There's something kind of unsettling about Perry to me. I mean, he's made a number of bad decisions already, and likely one of the things he and Obama have in common is some overly expensive mass transit plan.

I begrudgingly voted for Perry last time around, when it was clear that he was going to be on the Republican ticket, and Bill White was a liberal Democrat similar to Obama and the Democrats in the White House (I mean, I was really looking into White, hoping that he was different)

That being said, if it's between Obama and Perry, I'm still going to go with Perry...I want to see Obama get out ASAP.

There's something kind of unsettling about Perry to me. I mean, he's made a number of bad decisions already, and likely one of the things he and Obama have in common is some overly expensive mass transit plan.

I begrudgingly voted for Perry last time around, when it was clear that he was going to be on the Republican ticket, and Bill White was a liberal Democrat similar to Obama and the Democrats in the White House (I mean, I was really looking into White, hoping that he was different)

That being said, if it's between Obama and Perry, I'm still going to go with Perry...I want to see Obama get out ASAP.

I'm about as conservative as they come, and I dislike Perry. Perry is not a good choice for president, but for whatever reason we keep having to choose between the lesser of the evils. Obama is an absolutely terrible President. I am so sick of hearing about the Bush inheritance and the Bush hangover - that is all BS. This is Obama's presidency. He screwed it up. He went so far off the left rocker that all but the most extreme Leftist democrats were unhappy and running from him...Then he loses the house in 2010 and he tries to be more centrist, but nobody believes him - now he has the far left mad at him too. Nobody likes him. He is a one term loser.

Perry is awful - a horrible choice, but if I have to choose between the worst President in my lifetime, and Perry (who may well be the 2nd worst president in my lifetime) I will choose Perry. Just about anyone could do a better job than Obama.

I dont have a realistic choice that I like. Ron Paul appeals to me more than anyone else in the race, but he has some crazy ideas that dont sit well on several issues....Ron Paul won't ever get the RNC nomination - he is hated by the establishment money, and you can't win without money.

I'm petrified of Perry - the Mainstream media likes him...that alone means he is just another poor choice.

I'm glad Perry believes in Texas' right to secede, because that's exactly what we should do if he is elected President. I don't want to live in a country where Perry is President, and we've suffered enough under his rule.

Let's not forgot about the TRCC and how it was mostly comprised of his cronies, donors, and home builders.

I'm about as conservative as they come, and I dislike Perry. Perry is not a good choice for president, but for whatever reason we keep having to choose between the lesser of the evils. Obama is an absolutely terrible President. I am so sick of hearing about the Bush inheritance and the Bush hangover - that is all BS. This is Obama's presidency. He screwed it up. He went so far off the left rocker that all but the most extreme Leftist democrats were unhappy and running from him...Then he loses the house in 2010 and he tries to be more centrist, but nobody believes him - now he has the far left mad at him too. Nobody likes him. He is a one term loser.

Perry is awful - a horrible choice, but if I have to choose between the worst President in my lifetime, and Perry (who may well be the 2nd worst president in my lifetime) I will choose Perry. Just about anyone could do a better job than Obama.

I dont have a realistic choice that I like. Ron Paul appeals to me more than anyone else in the race, but he has some crazy ideas that dont sit well on several issues....Ron Paul won't ever get the RNC nomination - he is hated by the establishment money, and you can't win without money.

I'm petrified of Perry - the Mainstream media likes him...that alone means he is just another poor choice.

So much for the party of "personal responsibility" ever accepting any.

Archived