Houston Methodist Walter & Centennial Tower

Jax

• 2 years later...

I was in the area last weekend, does anyone know what the parcel directly south from the phase I bldg is intended for?

The site I speak of has been cleared and it has a couple of boolean merged cylinders in the above rendering. It also looks like the existing bldg on the site is being demo'd by the looks of it's empty fenestration.

• Like 1

I was in the area last weekend, does anyone know what the parcel directly south from the phase I bldg is intended for?

The site I speak of has been cleared and it has a couple of boolean merged cylinders in the above rendering. It also looks like the existing bldg on the site is being demo'd by the looks of it's empty fenestration.

I don't know what it is, but per the HCAD map, that's part of the St. Luke's parcel. http://www.hcad.org/iMaps/Tiles/Color/5355C3.pdf

• Like 1

It looks like this is a no-go - for now. According to this article by Nancy (and posted by Editor on a different thread): http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/sarnoff/7595071.html

A building project for Methodist Hospital in the Texas Medical Center has been shelved amid an uncertain economy and health care policy changes.

The 1.8 million square-foot project was designed for a site at the corner of John Freeman and Bertner. Ground breaking was scheduled for the first quarter of next year.

Too bad. It's a nice looking complex. Perhaps it'll be built in the future.

I wonder what this means for the overall expansion of the TMC. Obviously, 1.8 million square ft is a lot, but what about other expansion efforts? Are they halted too?

• Like 1

Per Stephen, yes it looks to be on parcel 2A-10 or as you said to the south on the St Luke's parcel.

Here's what I think is the existing bldg I mentioned before:

http://www.cardcow.com/289886/texas-childrens-hospital-houston/

Edited by infinite_jim
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

What is the construction going on south of the existing shorter hospital building next to this site? Does it have anything to do with this Methodist expansion? I like the flow of the planned buildings.

That would be St Luke's on going deconstruction of their orginal 1954 buiding. Thay have started and stopped this project several times in the past years. Now that they have a new owner they may get the thing finally deomolished.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It looks like it's hitting it's stride again after a short breather! First the Hotel/Apartment project, then MemorialHermann, and now Methodist are all proposing new towers that should begin shortly! I also forgot St. Lukes is planning some growth plans although if I recall correctly they are mainly just replacing old space. The primary hospitals as well as TMC's efforts to get some for profit businesses in the area are going to create some good years ahead. Combined with the residential boom that is beginning to happen in the area and the Texas Medical Center is again going to be a very busy part of town!

http://www.chron.com/business/medical/article/Houston-Methodist-to-build-Woodlands-hospital-5513231.php#photo-6371297

• Like 2

H-Town. The provocative mural not withstanding, what is it that you find great? Or at least better than the initial design.

Looking for a conversation not an argument.

Well, I definitely like the side view more than the rendering Triton posted. Like the articulation of floors - reminds me of mid-century modernism.

I don't think the mural is provocative. What does it provoke, other than the recollection that Methodism is a Christian denomination?

• Like 3

idk what some of you are talking about but the first building was boring looking. Not to mention that was clearly a conceptual model. By the way I don't want people complaining on here that all we do is boring plain glass buildings, but defend the boring first rendering as "sleek, and sexy". What is "sleek, and sexy" is this latest iteration. It is visually more interesting than the other and is a more refined design. Stop falling in love with conceptual renderings guys (for any building). All they are there for is to display possibilities, not actuality. 

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4