Highway 290/West Loop/Katy Freeway Interchange

US 290 Program Reaches Milestone with First Major Construction Contract

"Construction on the IH 610/US 290 interchange begins this summer."

HOUSTON - The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) took bids earlier today for the US 290 Program's first major construction project located at the IH 610/US 290 interchange. Williams Brothers Construction Company, Inc., had the winning low bid of $151.5 million. The Texas Transportation Commission will award the project at their May 26 meeting.

Work on this first contract, known as Project K, includes constructing an inbound direct connector from US 290 and the IH 610 North Loop to IH 10 Katy Freeway, thus eliminating the traffic weaving currently present on the IH 610 West Loop southbound mainlanes. In addition, workers will reconstruct the IH 610 North Loop from Ella to the US 290/IH 610 interchange. Construction is expected to begin this summer and be completed early 2015.

The US 290 Program Office opened in October 2006 and it is from there that all design, right-of-way, utility relocation and public involvement is coordinated for the 38-mile corridor from the IH 610/US 290 interchange to FM 2920. The Federal Highway Administration granted the program environmental clearance through a Record of Decision in August 2010, allowing the program to move forward with right-of-way and construction activities. TxDOT's Houston District Engineer, Delvin Dennis, P.E., adds, "The beginning of construction signifies a major accomplishment for the US 290 Program. This long awaited project will relieve congestion and improve safety on a portion of the IH 610/US 290 interchange. Motorists will realize peak travel time savings of nine minutes on eastbound US 290 and six minutes on westbound IH 610."

Although TxDOT is excited to begin the major reconstruction of US 290, the reality of the transportation funding crisis still presents real obstacles for advancing the Program. With the projected cost of the US 290 corridor improvements totaling $2.8 billion, there is still approximately $1.5 billon of the program unfunded. The program's next funded project is tentatively scheduled for construction in late 2012 and will build the outbound direct connector at the IH 610/US 290 interchange, from IH 10 to US 290 and the IH 610 North Loop. There is also funding programmed for fiscal years 2014-2019 which would allow construction at the US 290/Beltway 8 interchange and portions of US 290 between Beltway 8 and W. 34th Street. However, at this time there are no construction funds for the US 290 projects west of Beltway 8.

Despite having currently allocated funding, the US 290 Program continues to move forward with corridor wide design plans, which will allow the projects to be ready to go to construction once funding is available.

For more information regarding the US 290 Corridor Program, please contact Karen Othon, US 290 Public Information Officer at (713) 354-1532 or visit the program website at www.my290.com.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how we just build and build 3 billion projects with no controversy at all, and when we try to get 900 million for METRO, all hell breaks loose.

I honestly don't trust METRO. I understand that we need the light rail systems but METRO is sketchy. I'd be hesitant to give them anything.

I honestly don't trust METRO. I understand that we need the light rail systems but METRO is sketchy. I'd be hesitant to give them anything.

Well, its debatable that all government entities, including TxDOT, are sketchy. I guess it just depends on how you look at things. But back on topic, I think this will be a great improvement in the 290 corridor and, like any infrastructure project, am in favor 100%.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to Houston in the next week or so, and I'm wondering how the construction looks now. I remember driving on I-10 in 2008 when they weren't quite done with the expansion, and man, it was a mess....I'm wondering if there are any construction barrels, closed lanes, etc.

Basically, how does it look?

I'm going to Houston in the next week or so, and I'm wondering how the construction looks now. I remember driving on I-10 in 2008 when they weren't quite done with the expansion, and man, it was a mess....I'm wondering if there are any construction barrels, closed lanes, etc.

Basically, how does it look?

There are some orange barrels along the feeders. Just popped up in the last two or three weeks. They've also been doing a bunch of traffic counts.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. $2.8 billion. For re-construction. God forbid we give that much to public transit.

Why would we waste that much on transit that no one would use? 290 carries a huge amount of traffic - those folks aren't likely to use one of Metro's poorly designed schemes.

Why would we waste that much on transit that no one would use? 290 carries a huge amount of traffic - those folks aren't likely to use one of Metro's poorly designed schemes.

I cannot tell you the last time I traveled on 290. I ride the rail at least once a week. However, I guess your opinion matters more than mine...

I cannot tell you the last time I traveled on 290. I ride the rail at least once a week. However, I guess your opinion matters more than mine...

I wouldn't put it that way. More like...

The good of the many outweighs the good of the few.

Yes, I suppose METRO's 270,000+ daily riders are "no one." The reason "no one" uses transit is because we haven't invested money into actually building a good transit system. If I may ask, who exactly used the freeways before they were built?

Yes, I suppose METRO's 270,000+ daily riders are "no one." The reason "no one" uses transit is because we haven't invested money into actually building a good transit system. If I may ask, who exactly used the freeways before they were built?

I ride a METRO bus daily. However they don't bring me my food and all the other products I use to live. I can live in Houston and stay alive without METRO. Without roads I'd have to move away or starve. METRO is nice but roads are essential.

I ride a METRO bus daily. However they don't bring me my food and all the other products I use to live. I can live in Houston and stay alive without METRO. Without roads I'd have to move away or starve. METRO is nice but roads are essential.

Wait, if we spend $$$ on expanding transit options then there will be no roads? No wonder so many people are anti-METRO.

Wait, if we spend $$ on expanding transit options then there will be no roads? No wonder so many people are anti-METRO.

msfatx said

Wow. $2.8 billion. For re-construction. God forbid we give that much to public transit.

My response was probably not appropriate since msfatx argument was false anyway. A lot of this money is indirectly going to public transit. METRO uses 290 too.

My point was that comparing the amount of money spent on public transit to the amount spent on freeway construction is not reasonable. One of the biggest uses for freeways in the Houston area is public transit. I ride METRO every work day down a freeway. Freeways also have many other uses, including keeping Houstonians from starving to death.

msfatx said

My response was probably not appropriate since msfatx argument was false anyway. A lot of this money is indirectly going to public transit. METRO uses 290 too.

My point was that comparing the amount of money spent on public transit to the amount spent on freeway construction is not reasonable. One of the biggest uses for freeways in the Houston area is public transit. I ride METRO every work day down a freeway. Freeways also have many other uses, including keeping Houstonians from starving to death.

On the bright side, Metro's P&R numbers are probably going to increase substantially for people that live in the area. At least, they will for the next few years. Then again, people will probably just use the HOV and slug it.

"A lot of this money" is going to METRO indirectly? Hmmm not sure about that. METRO's park and ride ridership along this corridor will only be improved marginally, considering that they already use the HOV lane anyway.

Really? How on earth did we survive before all of these freeways were built, may I ask? Maybe you should consider the fact that if we gave the same amount of money to transit, there wouldn't be a need to keep constantly our freeways as much?

You are making up things. "One of the biggest uses for freeways in the Houston area is public transit.." METRO's park and ride ridership (for ALL freeways, not just 290) is about 30,000 people. That is about the same amount of people that ride our 7.5 mile rail line. Ridiculous argument.

Really? How on earth did we survive before all of these freeways were built, may I ask? Maybe you should consider the fact that if we gave the same amount of money to transit, there wouldn't be a need to keep constantly our freeways as much?

Well, considering that Houston's first freeway did not open until the late 1940s, and Houston's population at the time was less than today's population inside the loop, I'd say they survived because they were not needed.

How can anyone use something that hasn't been built? Presumably, before freeways, people drove on the surface streets that existed.

Houston has a great transit system, consisting mostly of cars that people drive to the places they want to go. I See no reason to change that.

I resent the heck out of having to pay for that piece of garbage train, built by people who disrespect the taxpayers that pay their salaries. The buses that ran that route previously did a good job at less cost and with less disruption to traffic.

Houston has a pretty good transit system in the early 1900s, before all of the rails were ripped up. Houston was pretty compact back then.

Also remember that it took almost a month to travel from New York to California, the life we would have now would be vastly different it was for the highway system. Love it or hate it, President Eisenhower did the right call for improving our country with the freeway system.

The only thing that sucked was the fact there was no thought into the local transit systems at the time, but with the population being so relatively low, no one could have foreseen how quickly the population would grow OR age.

Well, considering that Houston's first freeway did not open until the late 1940s, and Houston's population at the time was less than today's population inside the loop, I'd say they survived because they were not needed.

Oh I agree. I'm just saying that it's debatable that the amount of freeways we have (and how big they are) are "needed." Sure, they are "needed," but that's because we don't have a good public transit system. They weren't "needed" when they were buit in the first place, however. Houston just chose to build them, and grew around them.

How can anyone use something that hasn't been built? Presumably, before freeways, people drove on the surface streets that existed.

Precisely my argument. How exactly do you know that "no one" would ride a 2.8 billion dollar public rail system?

Houston has a great transit system, consisting mostly of cars that people drive to the places they want to go. I See no reason to change that.

Well there are some who would rather be able to live without a car, or at least not have to use one everywhere they go. Some people like to have the freedom to choose how they commute, and travel around the city in a reliable fashion.

I resent the heck out of having to pay for that piece of garbage train, built by people who disrespect the taxpayers that pay their salaries. The buses that ran that route previously did a good job at less cost and with less disruption to traffic.

False. Light rail is more cost efficient (and therefore costs less in the long run) than buses. Also, it carries more people, which means it does better then buses. You should try doing some research, instead of talking out of your ass.

Also remember that it took almost a month to travel from New York to California, the life we would have now would be vastly different it was for the highway system. Love it or hate it, President Eisenhower did the right call for improving our country with the freeway system.

The only thing that sucked was the fact there was no thought into the local transit systems at the time, but with the population being so relatively low, no one could have foreseen how quickly the population would grow OR age.

Very true indeed. I support this project 100%, and I think 290 is in real need of an upgrade. Yes, Eisenhower did a good job of implementing nation-wide infrastructure, and I also think that Obama's HSR plan (which sadly will never get built) would improve our country as well.

However, I do NOT think it was the right call in terms of MASSIVELY subsidizing highways and airports, while giving almost NO subsidies to public transit (rail).

I drive 290 (opposite direction) daily and I live off I-10...the merging from I-10 to 290 is life threatening so this is needed...however, the enormous amounts of cars shows that another option is needed to take cares off the road.

But its like 290 to Austin...backroom deals were made to stop a freeway going directly to Austin from Houston and I'm not surprised if the long process for a real rail system was systematically planned to drag out

False. Light rail is more cost efficient (and therefore costs less in the long run) than buses. Also, it carries more people, which means it does better then buses. You should try doing some research, instead of talking out of your ass.

Whoever smelt it dealt it.

• 2 years later...

So as someone who commutes from roughly 610/Ella to 610/Post Oak (possibly the shortest worst commute possible), I've been wondering.  I think I found my answer.

Are they doing nothing to allow I-10 West traffic to bypass the West Loop North straight to 290?  If so, that makes me sad.  The northbound side gets very congested with folks having to cross all the lanes of 610.

So as someone who commutes from roughly 610/Ella to 610/Post Oak (possibly the shortest worst commute possible), I've been wondering.  I think I found my answer.

Are they doing nothing to allow I-10 West traffic to bypass the West Loop North straight to 290?  If so, that makes me sad.  The northbound side gets very congested with folks having to cross all the lanes of 610.

I think there will be direct connector ramps going from I-10 to 290, bypassing the West Loop.

See http://www.my290.com/images/documents/feis/us290gschmortho_opt4_rev_ovrl.pdf

Archived