Wilson Building At 500 Fannin St.

Subdude

Unfortunately, the situation is the same with the Stowers Building at 820 Fannin.  It was totally renovated around 2005-2006, yet today it remains almost completely vacant.  I think there's one tenant on the 10th floor, but that's it.

It's great that developers are willing to save old buildings, but it seems like there is little demand from companies to then use them as office space.  This means much less of an incentive to save buildings in the future.

Edited by rechlin

Unfortunately, the situation is the same with the Stowers Building at 820 Fannin. It was totally renovated around 2005-2006, yet today it remains almost completely vacant. I think there's one tenant on the 10th floor, but that's it.

It's great that developers are willing to save old buildings, but it seems like there is little demand from companies to then use them as office space. This means much less of an incentive to save buildings in the future.

I wonder if the problem is that energy companies don't tend to be the creative type of people who would appreciate an older building, while other companies that would aren't attracted to downtown because it's so dominated by the culture of energy companies.

The irony is that so many energy companies are trying to show their greenness by commissioning LEED certified buildings, when the real (much less sexy) way to be green is to adapt and reuse what exists.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the situation is the same with the Stowers Building at 820 Fannin. It was totally renovated around 2005-2006, yet today it remains almost completely vacant. I think there's one tenant on the 10th floor, but that's it.

It's great that developers are willing to save old buildings, but it seems like there is little demand from companies to then use them as office space. This means much less of an incentive to save buildings in the future.

A friend of mine told me there is a boutique hotel in there right now

• Like 1

A friend of mine told me there is a boutique hotel in there right now

If the whole building is not occupied, it could be the next space to expand to for any tenant in BG Group Tower that needs to. I mean it's about 90 something percent leased, there's virtually no room left.

But it would have to be upgraded to Class A, I would expect.

• Like 1

The Stowers building is as close to Class A as it's going to get without tearing it down and rebuilding. It was completely redone, interior and exterior, less than 10 years ago, and it has tunnel access. I don't see what else could be done. The Wilson building had the same treatment but obviously has no tunnel access.

I'd be very surprised if there's a boutique hotel in the Stowers building. The tenant directory sign in the lobby doesn't mention a hotel, and I don't think it's configured for the plumbing one would want for a hotel.

I hope the rumor of exciting things being about to happen is true! I'm hoping to see some ground floor retail at the very least, as it's set up perfectly for that.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Wilson Printing building has been sold.  If Fretz construction has not already moved out, they apparently will soon. 

It is now owned by the Episcopal Health Foundation.

Within a year, the entire building will be occupied. 

great news. Love this company's work. Glad to see the building will be fully used.

• Like 1

wonderful news houston19514!  i wonder just where this "episcopal health foundation" hails from?  are they already in houston and just requiring a larger facility?  anyone knows anything regarding them....

Yes, they are already in Houston.  I'm not sure of their precise history, but they are either the former owners of St. Luke's Episcopal Health System (now known as CHI  St. Lukes or something like that), or they are the foundation that was formed to hold the proceeds from the sale of St. Lukes.   It is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, which is headquartered a couple blocks from the Wilson Printing Building

• Like 2

• The title was changed to The Wilson Building At 500 Fannin St.
  • The title was changed to Wilson Building At 500 Fannin St.