AppleTree Markets

IronTiger

I can confirm that the 290/Little York location was definitely a Safeway, and later, Apple Tree.  I grew up in the area and passed by it often.  There was also a Safeway in the Bear Creek area on State Highway 6 at Loch Katrine Dr., which is close to Kieth Harrow Blvd.  That Safeway also became an Apple Tree, and a Hobby Lobby, and is now a thrift shop.  Those conglomerate rock walls seem to be characteristic of Safeway stores and other late 1970's ventures.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a Safeway at 2192 Farm To Market Rd 2234  between Texas Parkway and Independence in Missouri City.  I went to that grand opening back in 1983 I believe is when it opened.  It later changed to an Appletree store and then a Kroger grocery store.  I worked there when it was a Kroger.  The clientele changed and the Kroger eventually shutdown.  That design was the same as the one on Old spanish trail in Houston. The one on Old spanish trail was a Safeway (same design) then changed to Appletree and finally a Kroger.

post-14085-0-78934400-1429654872_thumb.p

I just checked google maps on bellaire and synott.  I had a friend that worked at that Kroger location at Synott.  It looks like from the building that it was an HEB after that.  It is now a My Hoa Food Market.  I remember a Kroger on West Fuqua @ Blue Ridge.  I used to go there when I was younger in the 80's.  After they shut that one down, they opened the one in Texas Parkway and Independence.  If you check google maps, you will see that exact same picture that I posted above.  It used to be a Safeway around 1983 or 84 and then changed to Appletree and then finally a Kroger.  I worked there when it was a Kroger.  

The Food town on 11850  Bissonnet used to be a Kroger before it became an Albertson's.  Before that, the Kroger at that location used to be where that  99 cents only store is.  I also remember back in the 80's there was a big grocery store called Jumbo on the right side of the Food town.  If you look at google maps in street view to the right of the Food town, you will see an empty lot were a grocery store used to be.  It has a for lease sign.  That used to be a Jumbo food store.  I remember driving by that area with my parents when I was young and seeing that store.  Don't remember if I went in it though.  Don't remember a Safeway on Fondren and Braeswood.  I do remember a Weingartens used to be at the corner of Fondren and West Belfort.  It's Fiesta now.   

Yes, the Fiesta on Fondren @ W. Bellfort was a Weingarten's, then Grand Union, then Safeway, then Appletree.  I thought all the Albertson's were new construction?  Yes, the Foodtown on S. Braeswood @ Fondren was an Albertson's.

I never knew there was a Jumbo out on Bissonnet.  In the poorly maintained strip center on Fondren, running south from South Braeswood, was a Jumbo.  There was also a Jumbo out on Westheimer in the Westchase area, not sure of the cross street, that may have later become a Randall's.  I believe the original Jumbo was in West Columbia and there was also one in Alvin at one time, I think (remembering what was printed on the bags)..  The Jumbo on Fondren became a go-to grocery store for me.  After Handy Andy left the market and before the advent of Randall's Flagship and Kroger's Signature stores, it was better than your average Safeway or Weingarten's.  Except the store on Fondren was in run-down shape.  My most vivid memory is of the sagging shelves.  The store in Westchase was in better shape, almost as nice as a Handy Andy.  My relatives who lived on the east side would always go by the Jumbo on Fondren on their way home from visiting their children and grandchildren in Missouri City and First Colony; they told me about it.  Their son used to live in Maplewood.  When my parents came up to visit,they would also always make a stop at Jumbo. 

When the Jumbo on Fondren closed it became a Tuesday Morning after af few years I think.  I never went in but it must've been a huge one.

Edited by brucesw

brucesw.  Sorry, but I made a mistake.  There was no Jumbo on Bissonnet.  It was on Fondren near South Braeswood.  The two Food town store locations, Bissonnet @ Kirwood and Braeswood @ Fondren are both on the right side and confused me.  

Safeway/apple tree on Bay Area @ Parkwood in friendswood

Arch MemoH, Do you know the exact address where the Safeway in Friendswood was?  I looked at the maps and coudn't see the old store and it's design.

My memory may be going but I think you are mistaken. Nothing was even built there until the mid 80's and that was on the north corners.

The south corners weren't developed until the late 90s.

At that corner was/is:

NW -  old Kroger, currently Dollar Tree

NE -  Randall's, currently Spec's

SE -  Albertson's, currently Kroger

SW - nothing, currently Walgreens

The Safeway in Friendswood was on the SW corner of 518 and 2351 (Currently O'Reilly Auto and Ace Hardware)

3200 block of Parkwood

Yep, you are right.  Sorry.

Technically EAST Parkwood ends at the County Line.  The addresses change to FM 528 in Harris County.

Opened as a Safeway in 1983, Switch to Apple Tree, Became Kroger in the 90s, and then Kroger moved across to the old Albertsons after they closed.

I passed by that area a couple of times with my brother and told him that it looks like a safeway used to be there.  Nice to know that it was.

Did you ever shop there when it was a Safeway???

Edited by jt124

Anyone know what the Foodarama at 5665 Beechnut was? Seems like it may have been built as a Weingartens but was it ever a Safeway?

My 1966 directory says it was indeed a Weingarten's.

Also, according the directory,  It seems that it opened first, while the rest of Maplewood Mall was still under construction.

My 1976 directory shows that it was already a Foodarama by then.

I do remember a Weingartens used to be at the corner of Fondren and West Belfort.  It's Fiesta now.   

I remember that being a Kroger.  I used to go there back in the early-mid 90's when I would stay at my grandma's house when I was little.  Even then it looked old to me. There was a Target at the other end of the center, and a Walgreens where the Anna's Linen is. That Walgreens had a shoplifter in there while we were there once.  I remember him bolting out the door and knocking it off the track in the process.  I think the Kroger and Target closed when the Meyerland locations opened, maybe a few years before.  I think the T-Mobile store was a Houston Cellular originally.  I know it was Cingular for a while also.   

Edited by technoevil

the list of former safeway/apple tree locations

3 Uvalde

104 Friendswood

160 Sawdust

163 Oyster Creek

200 Hopkins

251 West 20th

403 Uvalde

603 East William Cannon

727 Exposition

804 Braker Lane

907 Richey

963 6th Avenue

1070 Federal

1070 South Texas Avenue

1110 West Dallas

1113 Interregional

1150 Eldrige

1160 Edgewood

1163 Edgewood

1320 North 25th

1338 Clay

1406 North Street

1414 Wirt

1500 West 35th

1742 Jefferson

1805 Briarcrest

1805 Ella

1805 Wilcrest

1944 Old Spanish Trail

1944 West Gray

2003 East Highway 21

2031 Ben White

2036 Fountain View

2036 North Main

2101 South Lamar

2127 Southmore

2146 Texas Parkway

2200 Wheless Lane

2206 East Veterans Memorial

2222 South Market

2310 North Gessner

2449 Bay Area

2603 11th

2631 Bellaire

3004 North FM 1960 East

3270 Parkwood

3271 Bee Caves

3316 Avenue H

3603 Center

3781 Westheimer

3805 Dunlavy

4106 Fairmont

4501 North IH-35

4604 East Nasa Road 1

4713 West Highway 6 North

4805 Old Galveston Road

5104 Halletsville

5345 Antoine

5839 Bissonnet

5960 Highway 105

6031 Chimney Rock

6035 Stweart

6167 Bissonnet

6312 Bellaire

6704 South Rice

6761 Fondren

6825 Burnet

7040 North FM 1960 East

7071 Lawndale

7127 New Sanger

7346 Louetta

7550 East Bellfort

7601 Westheimer

8036 South Gessner

8327 Airport

8600 Stella Link

8646 Spicewood Springs

8704 Bellaire

8704 Spring Valley

8807 9th Avenue

8945 North Freeway

9327 Katy Freeway

9363 Richmond

9403 Lamar

9550 Jones

9550 North Houston Rossyln

9713 Spencer

10160 Hammerly

10709 Jones

10904 Scarsdale

10907 West Bellfort

11004 Airline

11270 Beechnut

11604 Hughes

12636 Bissonnet

13203 Bellaire

13636 Tomball Parkway

13805 Cypress North Houston

14031 South Main

14550 Memorial

14902 Northwest Freeway

15160 Bellaire

16550 El Camino Real

17527 Imperial Valley

20063 Katy Freeway

21127 Tomball Parkway

22045 Gulf Freeway

28536 Tomball Parkway

29753 Loop 494

Edited by ArchMemoH
  • Like 1

I don't remember a Kroger at that corner.  There was one near West Airport Blvd on Fondren.

The Fiesta was previously a Kroger.  I went there many times.  Opposite end of the center had a Target.  Its a few discount clothing and shoe stores now.