AppleTree Markets

IronTiger

When I was a kid, a new Safeway was built across the street from us at the intersection of Richey and  Harris Avenue in Pasadena. I won  a bag of groceries there during their grand opening. Also had my first job there, the summer of 1981.  I am not sure when it closed, but it is now a Food Town.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to find again the Chron archives, though I really can't find anything that closed prior to 1994 (I'm assembling a list). There was the Rosenberg mentioned, as well as one in the Greenspoint area, and a few others. The Federal Road one (now a Sellers Bros.) must have closed really early on, as I cannot find anything about it.

As for the NASA area one, there was one that's now an Arlan's.

And to add to the list of Houston-area Safeway stores, there was one at Cypress N. Houston and Huffmeister.  It's now a Food Town.  I recall a location in Quail Valley (Missouri City area) but I couldn't tell you where exactly.  And there was one near NASA-I recall it was small and the street sign had the circle S logo painted on a small square sign.  

I can't vouch for the one down around NASA, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the one in Missouri City may have been on Cartwright & Texas Parkway - where Foodarama is today. I'm only guessing that since I seem to recall it was an AppleTree at one point. Could be off though.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't vouch for the one down around NASA, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the one in Missouri City may have been on Cartwright & Texas Parkway - where Foodarama is today. I'm only guessing that since I seem to recall it was an AppleTree at one point. Could be off though.

That was a Randall's just before becoming a Foodarama but I don't know if it had been a Safeway/Appletree before that. As best I can remember the building, it looks more like a Randall's.

There was a lot of information on Houston Safeways/Appletrees that found its way into your B/CS thread. I can add to what I posted there:

There was a Safeway on Chimney Rock at Gulfton in the 70s, same exterior as the Holcombe/Greenbrier and Westheimer/Weslayan stores but smaller inside, I think. Not a good location for such a large store, too close to the store in downtown Bellaire and surrounded by lots of warehouse/light industtrial rather than residential. That one may not have lasted long enough to become an Appletree and I'm virtually certain it was never a Rice Epicurean, despite being only about 3 blocks from the Rice headquarters on Gulfton. That was a bingo hall for a while and now is a private academy.

The Foodarama on S. Wilcrest @ West Bellfort was a Safeway, obvious from the north wall along W. Bellfort, especially. I worked part time out of an office half a block from there briefly in 83/84 but don't remember it at all. I would not have been doing any grocery shopping while I was there, however.

The 'Your Super Savings Thrift Store' or whatever the name is on Dashwood @ S. Fondren, west of the old Sharpstown Mall was a Safeway and probably an Appletree, also obvious from the front of the building.

I'm not sure about the Fiesta on Bellaire @ S. Gessner but I think it was a Safeway. Have to look at the building again.

• 2 months later...

I've looked into it. AppleTree had 94 stores in 1991. After the bankruptcies and a few sell-offs, they had 75. Somewhere between summer 1992 and November 1993, they went down to 49. So the Federal Road store is one of the "anonymous stores" I can't find record for.

Worse, these 26 stores aren't necessarily all in the Houston area. It seems there was a second store in the Waco area as well.

Where did the five "Budget Stores" go to?

The AppleTree moniker will adorn 94 of the company's 99 stores in Texas.

Five stores - three in Houston and two in Austin - will be renamed Budget Stores . Those stores will have slightly lower prices on some items and will have fewer speciality shops, Lankford said. ``These are stores without delis, bakeries or floral shops.''

I'm guessing they're REALLY old stores, like 1940s era Weingarten's.

Edited by IronTiger

• 1 month later...

The store you have listed for W. Montgomery, I believe, should be W. Mount Houston. State Highway 249 is the old Mount Houston Rd, and I don't remember Acres Homes ever having a big grocer on W. Montgomery.

I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see a listing for the current Kroger at Yale and W. 20th, or the current Foodarama at W. 18th and Ella/T.C. Jester. Both were Safeway and AppleTree over the course of their history.

The store you have listed for W. Montgomery, I believe, should be W. Mount Houston. State Highway 249 is the old Mount Houston Rd, and I don't remember Acres Homes ever having a big grocer on W. Montgomery. 

It's at the corner of Houston Rosslyn Road and Highway 249.

I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see a listing for the current Kroger at Yale and W. 20th, or the current Foodarama at W. 18th and Ella/T.C. Jester. Both were Safeway and AppleTree over the course of their history.

239 W. 20th Street for the first one, 1805 Ella, that's there too.

Seller's Bros. Stella Link @ S. Braeswood.

It's on there, it closed after 1994, and thus, at the bottom of the list.

Edited by IronTiger

Yes, I missed them both. Now, the store at Houston Rosslyn & 249, I know. That one was closed for a long time. I think, Kroger bought it and ran it with the AppleTree name very briefly, but after AppleTree closed it sat vacant. That strip had a Handy Dan and a old, old Kmart in it.

The one you have listed I'm inquisitive about is listed on W. Montgomery. I never knew there was a grocery store of any kind along the stretch of road between N. Shepherd and Mount Houston.

The store at 249 and Houston Rosslyn is now a Family Thrift Store. This store was sold to Kroger, though I can't be sure if they actually opened a store here or not.

The store at Houston Rosslyn is now some sort of office building that has been modified, but the original grocery store still seems to be intact.

A few of the stores closed and within 48 hours, had put up new price tags and signage, but I'm wondering if there were any sold stores that never closed.

P.S.: Yours truly worked at #1193, though it wasn't called AppleTree anymore (same management team, though)

OK, I've been working on a list of AppleTree stores in the entire chain, and I've published the first edition here. This covers more than half of the chain.

What do you think? What's missing?

AppleTree stores

15000 block of Bellaire, originally a Weingarten, was briefly an Appletree, now is an "Event Center/Party Hall".

• Like 1

Heh, I worked at the one on W. 43rd in Oak Forest. "Everything in this bag, is AppleTree fresh!" What is that building in the parking lot of 9510 N. Houston Rosslyn? I haven't been down that part of Bingle/NHR in years. It's directly in front of the grocery store's entrance, so I'm assuming that the AppleTree building is not accessible for public meandering?

15000 block of Bellaire, originally a Weingarten, was briefly an Appletree, now is an "Event Center/Party Hall".

Seems to be "Phoenix Events Center", but also shares address with the adjacent Phoenix Seafood Restaurant. Either way, it's at 15156 Bellaire Boulevard.

Heh, I worked at the one on W. 43rd in Oak Forest. "Everything in this bag, is AppleTree fresh!"

That looks like it might've been one of the last ones built as Safeway and thus one of the largest and nicest stores in the chain. Probably one of the biggest problems in the chain was that some of their stores were real dumps. I don't think AppleTree kept that slogan after the 1993 bankruptcy, either.

What is that building in the parking lot of 9510 N. Houston Rosslyn? I haven't been down that part of Bingle/NHR in years. It's directly in front of the grocery store's entrance, so I'm assuming that the AppleTree building is not accessible for public meandering?

Omron Oilfield & Marine. The original building was presumably converted to office space, but you can kind of see it behind it.

I did update the list with a few mentioned here and one more from the Chron.

That looks like it might've been one of the last ones built as Safeway and thus one of the largest and nicest stores in the chain. Probably one of the biggest problems in the chain was that some of their stores were real dumps. I don't think AppleTree kept that slogan after the 1993 bankruptcy, either.

Further research shows that the Kroger that's there now was rebuilt and is not the original Safeway/AppleTree. Such a store was completely torn down and rebuilt between 1995 and 2002.

Yeah, the AppleTree/Kroger I worked at on W. 43rd is now part of the parking lot for the signature store. I was about to say, the old building was a Weingarten's, then Safeway, then AppleTree, then Kroger's, then a pile of rubble. It was an old store. Even had the old doors that would swing open when you stepped on the black mat in front of the doorway to enter or exit the store. Definitely not one that Safeway ever built.

I don't remember the exact year it was torn down and replaced, but it was this century. Early 2000's, maybe as late as 2003. I know it was torn down before Oak Forest Bank, and that was in 2005.

I don't remember the exact year it was torn down and replaced, but it was this century. Early 2000's, maybe as late as 2003. I know it was torn down before Oak Forest Bank, and that was in 2005.

Google Earth shows the new one in December 2002 and the parking lot completely paved over. The "newest" Safeways (Briarcrest, Kroger of the Villages, another Kroger) had brown brick and even had the neon interior with pictures of food. Even then, they weren't terribly large or upscale. With H-E-B Pantry and Food Lion building small, no-frills stores and competing on price, and upstream with Fiesta, Kroger, and Randall's building larger, modern, and upscale-leaning stores, and with AppleTree on a shoestring budget, it's surprising that AppleTree lasted as long as it did. A repaint of a 1960s/1970s era store wasn't fooling anybody. Remember, AppleTree as a small, independent grocer lasted three times longer than its original, larger incarnation did! Edited by IronTiger

Kroger opened their current store in Oak Forest in late 1998.  I recall visiting the Kroger (the old Weingarten/Safeway) when the current store was under construction and I bought the new issue of MAD, which featured their spoofs of Armageddon and Deep Impact.  

I don't recall the swinging doors but I remember the low ceiling.  I'm 5'10'' and it was too low for my comfort.

• 1 year later...

The Foodtown on Scarsdale and Beamer (I think those were the street names) was a Safeway/Appletree. I have memories of going there as a kid in the late '80s/early '90s. It was the first Appletree I'd ever seen. This was before 1992, because we moved out of Friendswood that year.

Walgreens is moving from it's current location at 3900 Westhimer down to the former Safeway caddy corner across Weslayan. I believe that the Walgreens location started as a Sav-On Drugs (May have been something different at the start though) and the new location of course started as a Safeway was sold to Apple Tree and was eventually bought by rice in 1994. The location closed in 2012 and was sold to The Fresh Market which only operated around 7 months. After sitting vacant for some time Walgreens has decided to move in. Unfortunately all of the Safeway look on the interior was lost during The Fresh Market, about half of the original Safeway exterior including the original two sided entrance was lost as well.

Walgreens is moving from it's current location at 3900 Westhimer down to the former Safeway caddy corner across Weslayan. I believe that the Walgreens location started as a Sav-On Drugs (May have been something different at the start though) and the new location of course started as a Safeway was sold to Apple Tree and was eventually bought by rice in 1994. The location closed in 2012 and was sold to The Fresh Market which only operated around 7 months. After sitting vacant for some time Walgreens has decided to move in. Unfortunately all of the Safeway look on the interior was lost during The Fresh Market, about half of the original Safeway exterior including the original two sided entrance was lost as well.

Behind the AppleTree was Big Boy, Shell, Azteca 26/CBS 26/ABC 26/CW 26/NBC 26/WB 26/Paramount 26/TBN 26/Smile of a child 26.

Edited by ArchMemoH