Ice, Snow on Thursday Night and Friday

Urbannizer

Freezing rain, sleet and snow beginning Thursday afternoon all the way into Friday! It will start as ice, then change over to snow. The snow will stick onto the streets because they will be cold enough. It will be similar to the 04 storm because it will be widespread.

WWW_KTRK_5DAY_450x296.JPG

Winter Storm Watch issued February 02 at 12:01PM CST expiring February 04 at 12:00PM CST by NWS Corpus Christi

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING... ...DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS EXPECTED ACROSS SOUTH TEXAS... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CORPUS CHRISTI HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. A POTENT UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE ACROSS TEXAS THURSDAY AND FRIDAY...PRODUCING A MIX OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION IN THE FORM OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW. FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET WILL BEGIN ALONG THE COAST AROUND NOON ON THURSDAY. THE FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET WILL SPREAD NORTHWARD ACROSS THE COASTAL BEND DURING THE AFTERNOON...AND WEST INTO THE BRUSH COUNTRY BY 6 PM. FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET WILL CONTINUE ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTH TEXAS THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS. THERE IS ALSO THE POTENTIAL NORTH AND WEST OF HIGHWAY 77 THAT THE FREEZING RAIN WILL CHANCE OVER TO SNOW AND SLEET THURSDAY NIGHT. SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF ICE AND SLEET ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE COASTAL COUNTIES...GENERALLY ALONG AND EAST OF HIGHWAY 77. BETWEEN 1/4 AND 1/2 OF AN INCH OF ICE AND SLEET ACCUMULATION WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THIS AREA. FURTHER INLAND...WEST OF HIGHWAY 77... SLEET AND SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES ARE LIKELY. RESIDENTS OF SOUTH TEXAS SHOULD PREPARE FOR DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER TO DEVELOP WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 48 HOURS. THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY THAT EXISTS WITH THIS UPCOMING EVENT. RESIDENTS ACROSS SOUTH TEXAS SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO ACT QUICKLY IF A WARNING IS ISSUED.

Link

Was at Costco the other day flipping through a book on Houston's history and ran across a photo of a snowfall in mid-Feb 1895. Turns out we got 20 inches of snow over the course of a day or two. Found this on google with a few pictures:

http://www.earlychurchfathers.org/fullcircle/index.php?entry=entry091211-213857

From Metro:

METRO STARTS OUTBOUND PARK & RIDE SERVICE EARLY

METRO will be starting all Park & Ride service at 1 p.m. today to accommodate customers with early work dismissals.

The Park & Ride buses will be running about every half hour until the start of the regular Park & Ride schedule. Street supervisors will be on hand to assist customers.

We are offering early service to ensure our customers arrive home safely, but we also ask for their patience as they may experience delays and overcrowding on our system due to large crowds leaving the downtown district at the same time.

We will continue with our regularly scheduled service for the remainder of the day. Weather and road conditions will be monitored and services adjusted as needed.

METRO also is continuing to offer warming vehicles at 20 Transit Centers until Friday afternoon or as weather conditions dictate.

For more information, customers are encouraged to visit www.ridemetro.org or call

713-635-4000.

So this makes 3 years out of the past 7 where we'll have measurable snowfall. Does anyone know when the last time, if ever, that has happened? I guess there's a broken pane over parts of the US in the atmospheric greenhouse. Maybe I'll let my car idle all night in the driveway so as to do my part to heal the environment with some carbon dioxide. B)

So this makes 3 years out of the past 7 where we'll have measurable snowfall. Does anyone know when the last time, if ever, that has happened? I guess there's a broken pane over parts of the US in the atmospheric greenhouse. Maybe I'll let my car idle all night in the driveway so as to do my part to heal the environment with some carbon dioxide. B)

I'm blaming global cooling....and walmart.

I've been watching the news all morning and just cannot believe how many stupid drivers there are in Houston. Driving the wrong way, speeding over big overpasses that are obviously iced over, it's just unfathomable to me that anyone can be that ignorant. No wonder insurance rates are so high.

I drove up I-45 around 10:00 am. The roads are dry, but the bridges were iced. Every 5 or 6 miles, I'd see the results of another moron. Luckily, the people around me understood the theory of driving 60 on the dry parts and slowing BEFORE they reached the overpasses.

This just in from Metro:

METRO Park & Ride Service Cancelled for Today

METRO has cancelled all Park & Ride service due to extreme icing conditions on local freeways and overpasses. METRO expects to resume Park & Ride service on Monday.

HOV lanes will not be open due to severe icing conditions.

METRO continues to provide all scheduled weekday local bus service but with delays due to detours as required to avoid ice and other unsafe roadway conditions.

METRO rail service has been modified with double cars at 10 minute frequencies rather than the usual six minute intervals.

Weather and road conditions will be monitored and services adjusted as needed.

METRO will continue to offer warming vehicles at 20 Transit Centers as weather conditions dictate.

For more information, customers are encouraged to visit www.ridemetro.org or call 713-635-4000.

And this:

METRO Service Modification Likely for Weekend

METRO staff is working around the clock to keep Houstonians moving during frigid weather and extreme icing conditions on local freeways and overpasses. Every effort is being made to continue local bus service but some delays will likely occur as our drivers detour to avoid road hazards.

· Riders are encouraged to call the METROLine at 713-635-4000 to determine if there are significant delays or modifications to their normal bus routes.

· METRO rail service continues with double cars at 12 minute frequencies rather than the usual six minute intervals.

· Airport Direct Service will depart each hour and the trip time will be longer.

· METRO expects to resume Park & Ride and HOV lane service on Monday.

· Weather and road conditions will be monitored and services adjusted as needed.

· METRO will continue to offer warming vehicles at 20 Transit Centers as weather conditions dictate.

· Customers are encouraged to visit www.ridemetro.org or call 713-635-4000 for more information about METRO transit services.

My drive to work from north loop to Almeda/BW8 was nice at 6am. After the first overpass when I realized there was ice, piece of cake. Don't turn or brake, and you're fine. Unfortunately the idiots of this city do those things immediately when they hit ice. Serves them right. I didn't see any traffic (6am though) until I got down 45 to Quitman. It looked like it was all stopped, so I exited Quitman, headed down Houston Ave and got right back on the Pierce elevated. No traffic from there down to crapland south.

The most annoying thing were people going 30 on the freeways. Get. Out. Of. The. Way. Much more dangerous to do that than go faster.

Just got this in from HPD:

HPD Urges Those in Accidents to Stay in Vehicles

Houston police are asking motorists involved in traffic accidents that disable their vehicles in the icy conditions to call 9-1-1 and remain in their vehicles until a police officer or wrecker driver arrives at the scene.

One man, 30, was killed earlier today (Feb. 4) after he got out of his disabled vehicle and sat on a guardrail on the East Freeway overpass near Federal Road. He was struck as a result of two trucks that slid in the icy conditions.

With freezing weather expected throughout tonight and into tomorrow morning, HPD urges citizens to refrain from driving, especially on highways or overpasses, unless they absolutely have to.

HPD officers responded to about 750 traffic accidents in the city from 10 p.m. Thursday (Feb. 3) until 11 a.m. today. Thus far, the only accident resulting in a fatality was the pedestrian on the East Freeway.

Another freezing day...My poor Oldhamii bamboo looks dead from the neck up :( . These past 2 winters, and past 2 weeks, have thrashed my hardy tropicals, although I have faith that they'll mostly resurrect from their root system.

Several of my plants resurrected from last years big freeze. They were just starting to look good, now they will have to start all over. I need to invest in more freeze tolerant evergreen plants and get rid of the tropicals.

Bah. This is nothing. I still haven't turned on the heater; electric heat is expensive, and I'm a cheapskate.

My winter jacket does double duty as a housecoat, and cold weather makes my snooty cat suddenly affectionate. The pipes and houseplants haven't frozen, so I've endured colder. And I love chowder.

I mostly have peppers and they look dead. Hopefully their roots are still ok. My sage is coming back too. Rosemary, oregano, and chives are doing well. Might plant some thymne and tarragon soon. Not sure when though. Also a lemon tree... but again not sure when. :(

I don't think the peppers and tomatoes are going to make it, but the lettuce still looks great! Row cover, plastic, and Christmas lights to keep the plants warm. Fringe, don't worry. We made little frames to keep the row cover and plastic from touching the light bulbs. :)

The hibiscus are toast, so I already hacked them down to the ground. Same thing happened last year and I was having to trim them by September. The lemon tree might have another 0 output season though. And the damn floppy leaf things I don't know the name of are probably dead, again.

Archived