Macy's Distribution Center - 2103 Ernestine St.

There's a "For Sale" sign on Macy's warehouse property on Lockwood -- just saw it for the first time as I drove past this evening.

Signs were posted in front of the Macy's outlet store, but I didn't see any in front of any portion of the distribution center. The listing isn't up on the CBRE website yet, unfortunately. Can anyone confirm just how much is being listed for sale?

I would have liked to walk through that old Foley's storage warehouse before it was sold to Macy's. Wonder what's going to happen to it, now. And is it the warehouse only, or is the warehouse and the distribution center for sale?

I would have liked to walk through that old Foley's storage warehouse before it was sold to Macy's. Wonder what's going to happen to it, now. And is it the warehouse only, or is the warehouse and the distribution center for sale?

It does make me wonder what the potential for that location would be, though. I mean, we're talking about HUGE tracts of land, that is (hopefully) at the terminus of one of the rail lines.

In the immediate area is a little league field, Stephen F. Austin, and some light residential in the form of single family homes and small apartment complexes and a single Valero (shamrock?) station.

It's my hope that the the line gets built, as that would spur a bit more dense development.

If that happens, maybe they can extend the line up lockwood to the Denver Harbor TC.

Yeah..whatever. I can dream, can't I?

It does make me wonder what the potential for that location would be, though. I mean, we're talking about HUGE tracts of land, that is (hopefully) at the terminus of one of the rail lines.

In the immediate area is a little league field, Stephen F. Austin, and some light residential in the form of single family homes and small apartment complexes and a single Valero (shamrock?) station.

It's my hope that the the line gets built, as that would spur a bit more dense development.

I'm hoping that UH snaps it up and incorporates future development here as a legitimate "gateway" to their campus.

I wonder if Walmart considered this location.......

I wonder as well.

Personally, if it were me building a walmart supercenter, I'd go with the wayside location, it's closer to other retail, and has easier access to and from the freeway. Or at least the access isn't as confusing.

I wonder as well.

Personally, if it were me building a walmart supercenter, I'd go with the wayside location, it's closer to other retail, and has easier access to and from the freeway. Or at least the access isn't as confusing.

I think the access issues will definitely limit the marketability of the property.

Question: Did this building predate the maze of feeder roads around it? I have a feeling it did.

I think the access issues will definitely limit the marketability of the property.

Question: Did this building predate the maze of feeder roads around it? I have a feeling it did.

It's funny, i lived here in Broadmoor for 6 months before I realized that I could stay on the feeder for 45 south after Cullen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it did. I was just reading the history about the Foley's downtown store in a Cite article. It mentioned the elaborate details of the store, one being the package delivery system associated with the Downtown location. They also brought up the warehouse, just outside of downtown. If you look at old maps and aerial maps a lot, you can see how the freeway system chopped up eveything. It bulldozed and cut up whole neighborhoods.

The building is actually pretty large.

Once again, are both bldgs. being sold, or just the warehouse, not the showroom?

Edited by NenaE

• 1 year later...

All Macy's signs have been removed, not sure if they did that recently or not, but I just noticed it this weekend. For sale signs are still up though, so I guess they haven't actually sold the place yet.

If they ever make the University line, this would be a good place for Metro to make a vehicle repair depot, or whatever they call it, but they'd probably do that out on the west side terminus.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 3:23 PM, samagon said:

Still not sure what's going on there though.

Are you referring to the 4500 Gulf Fwy site, between Ernestine and S Lockwood, or the much larger warehouse complex northwest of Ernestine? I haven’t been by there recently, so I’m not sure which one has work being done.

If it’s 4500 Gulf Fwy, I believe that’s a Lovett Commercial development:

https://www.lovettcommercial.com/properties/houston/4500-gulf-fwy

Their site plan shows all sorts of suburban retail mainstays (a Palais Royal?! How exciting! /s), but knowing them they haven’t inked a deal with any of these retailers. . . which I guess is a good thing.

If it’s the other, I’m not sure.

• 5 months later...

the very back warehouse is completely gone, and they have been moving the dirt around in the space since it has been gone.

they just (like this weekend) put up a green fence around the perimeter of the front parking lot and retail area. I turned on Munger, so I don't know how far the fence extends. this fence may have been put in place to keep people from using it as parking for the Metro Transit Center. anyone know what's going on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...