HAIFinancial Challenge 2010-11

Highway6

It is yet time again to see which HAIFers are the best at investing, and who can beat the market.

Announcing: The HAIFinancial Challenge v2

Rules: Each HAIF member has $1,000 in pretend money to spend on whatever stocks they want. You don't get to trade in your HAIF portfolio until the end of the challenge. Everybody buys on the same day ( Friday Dec 17th, 2010 ) and everybody sells on the same day ( Tuesday March 1st, 2011 )

Everyone has one week to pick their stocks. To do so, reply to this message listing the stocks you want to play with. For example:

I want...

AAPL - 10 shares

XOM - 30 shares

JNJ - 15 shares

PTR - 40 shares

Like last time, On Friday 17th, your HAIFinance account will be credited with those stocks at their closing price on Friday, December 17.

If the prices have gone up a lot since you posted, we shall knock shares off the ticker symbol at the bottom of your list to get it as close to $1,000 as possible, so list the stocks in the order you like them.

If the prices have gone down since you posted, the extra pretend cash will remain in your account and be counted toward your total score at the end of the challenge.

Prize: HAIF and Editor are graciously contributing a prize to this contest - A coffee table book on the World's Greatest Concrete Architecture, put out by ACI.. details and pics to come.

You have a week to get your stocks picked.

I'm going to take

AAPL ( 1 share )

The rest split 3 way between the following mutual funds.

OTCFX

VMGIX

VISGX

I assume mutual funds are allowed. I don't know if it ever came up last time. If anyone has an issue with deviating from pure company stocks, I'll find something else.

The only way to win this is to find stuff that has the potential to have a huge percent increase. Some of the steady stuff, or things already high priced, don't leave much option for that. Just sayin'.

That's in response to Apple isn't it?

The only way to win this is to find stuff that has the potential to have a huge percent increase. Some of the steady stuff, or things already high priced, don't leave much option for that. Just sayin'.

That's what Im hoping with Sirius (SIRI)......I hope they keep going up....In real life, I bought a ton way back when they were supposedly going bankrupt -- at $.07 -- now they are at $1.38......I wish I had bought about 10 tons !!!

6 people in... 3.5 days left.... Come on haifers !!

u080570

SIRI 100%

sevfiv

UNFI 25%

AMZN 25%

CAJ 25%

NVO 25%

20thstdad

IRE 50%

AIB 50%

ricco67

Silver 33.4%

MJN 22.2%

ORLY 22.2%

MCD 22.2%

highway6

AAPL 1 share

OTCFX remaining/3

VMGIX remaining/3

VISGX remaining/3

brian0123

FRO 100%

The prize...

This 264 page coffee table book was published in 2004 to mark the 50th anniversary of the Institute.

It was put out by American Concrete Institute for members of ACI; This can't be found in bookstores or on Amazon.

Big thanks to Editor.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

7, possibly 8, people entered in our little contest

Come on people.. only 53 hours left to get your stocks in.

Is this what we have for real? All I have right now are FMNJ and C.

Need clarification. Your response makes it appear that you didn't read the thread, had no idea this was a contest, and just mentioned some stocks you own.

Is that the case or are those the 2 stocks you want for our little competition?

7, possibly 8, people entered in our little contest

Come on people.. only 53 hours left to get your stocks in.

Need clarification. Your response makes it appear that you didn't read the thread, had no idea this was a contest, and just mentioned some stocks you own.

Is that the case or are those the 2 stocks you want for our little competition?

Both.

Now we're rolling. 10 people so far.

1 more day to get your picks in.

u080570

SIRI 100%

sevfiv

UNFI 25%

AMZN 25%

CAJ 25%

NVO 25%

20thstdad

IRE 50%

AIB 50%

ricco67

Silver 33.4%

MJN 22.2%

ORLY 22.2%

MCD 22.2%

highway6

AAPL 1 share

OTCFX remaining/3

VMGIX remaining/3

VISGX remaining/3

brian0123

FRO 100%

native_Houstonian

BLOAQ.PK 100%

ltawacs

FMNJ 50%

C 50%

tanith27

STD 100%

Chamo

China 100%

I'm late to the party, but I'll put it out there anyway in case you haven't keyed it in. If you can't make it happen, no big whoop.

Basic Energy Services (NYSE:BAS)

30%

Exterran Holdings (NYSE:EXH)

20%

Helix Energy Solutions (NYSE:HLX)

25%

Hornbeck Offshore Services (NYSE:HOS)

25%

My strategy: I'm willing to bet that the market is pricing in some significant amount of risk to highly leveraged oilfield services companies on the basis of that they have relatively few tangible assets, yet lots and lots of debt. They will thrive or dive according to the price of energy. ...they might dive anyway.

There are two conditions that are necessary for my play to succeed; global economic growth or a weaker dollar. Both would be ideal, and I think that at least one of those circumstances is likely to occur in 2011. (Anybody care to guess which?)

Is this what we have for real? All I have right now are FMNJ and C.

FMNJ Is worth 0 per share.

Not even debating the strategy in buying $500 worth of a stock that has had zero value for the last 2 years, You can't buy $500 worth of something valued at nothing. It is impossible.

You need to pick another stock today or I'm putting your $1000 all in your 2nd stock.

Archived