Texas 2010 Governors race

ricco67

32 members have voted

1. 1. How did/will you vote?

• Rick Perry
    • Bill White
    • Kathie Glass
    • Deb Shafto

I know there's already a thread for this, but again, I'd thought I'd like to see how HAIFers vote. :)

I wouldn't be opposed to a merge, BTW.

I don' like Rick Perry or think he is a good choice, but Bill White is incompetent, and Perry is the lesser of two evils.

I don' like Rick Perry or think he is a good choice, but Bill White is incompetent, and Perry is the lesser of two evils.

:wacko:

This logic is why Texas ranks behind the rest of the country in many categories (especially education). I also love the commercials Perry is running right now w/ the HPD widow. Somehow Bill White was responsible for her husband's death because he was mayor at the time, but the man that was GOVERNOR at the time... well vote for him again so he can continue to fail just like he did when her husband was killed.

Thank your lucky Texas stars that the governor of Texas has relatively little power.

The speaker of the Texas House has the real clout.

Thank again your lucky Texas stars that the Texas legislature only meets for 3-4 months every 2 years. They can't screw up too much in that short period of time. But they sure do have time to collect the lobby money on the floor of the house and senate chambers. Is Bo Pilgim still around? I need $10,000.

Is Bill White incompetent or do you just disagree with some of his policies? I agree that Perry is an awful choice, so I didn't vote for him.

Is Bill White incompetent or do you just disagree with some of his policies? I agree that Perry is an awful choice, so I didn't vote for him.

He is incompetent.

He handled certain social situations well - Hurricane evacuation, Katrina refugees, etc...but everything financial or business related that Bill White did was terrible...he is a very poor choice of candidates.

I dont like Perry, but he is better than White, who I dislike even more.

The debate deal is pissing me off. It's happening all over America. Candidates are refusing to debate. They are refusing to speak with the media. They are refusing to talk about their history, records, resumes, etc... And yet folks will flock to the polls to vote for them.

I would NEVER vote for a candidate that refuses to live their life in the public eye. If you want privacy, then don't run for public office.

The debate deal is pissing me off. It's happening all over America. Candidates are refusing to debate. They are refusing to speak with the media. They are refusing to talk about their history, records, resumes, etc... And yet folks will flock to the polls to vote for them.

What should we do? Who do they think they are avoiding the media or not even answering questions???

I would NEVER vote for a candidate that refuses to live their life in the public eye. If you want privacy, then don't run for public office.

It clearly goes both ways on this election. Perry doesn't want to debate because he is obviously afraid of something White will say...I dont believe the tax return issue the only reason he wont debate. Meanwhile White wont release tax returns because clearly there are things in there that are seriously detrimental to his ability to be elected....things he did and money he made using his political influence and office, that may or may not be 100% legitimate.

We have two politicians both hiding something....White is known to be a sanctuary city supporter, while Perry is known to be apathetic to border issues except during election years.

Neither are good candidates, but White would continue the poor policies that he advocated while Mayor, and will appoint terrible people to important positions (Harold Hurt, etc) and try to make Texas a sanctuary state by continuing the stance that appears to be advocated by many/most democrats which is Amnesty for your vote all the while bankrupting the State with his unfunded spending. The only reason to choose Perry is that he actually has proven himself to be relatively conservative on the spending front, despite the stupid $11,000/mo mansion he rents for himself on our dime. That $11,000 while a total ridiculous waste of our money is not even a 1/2 of a single percent of a single drop of water in the bucket compared to what I believe White would spend if given the chance.

So - choose your evil. I chose Perry because White is incompetent.

I voted for the libertarian candidate. Although Perry has (or at least claims to have) conservative ideals, he really screwed over higher education, he supported the Trans-Texas Corridor, and he made a lot of stupid comments that may or may not have been serious.

I considered voting for White, though, based on the seemingly-decent job he did running Houston and my dislike of Perry.

I voted for the libertarian candidate. Although Perry has (or at least claims to have) conservative ideals, he really screwed over higher education, he supported the Trans-Texas Corridor, and he made a lot of stupid comments that may or may not have been serious.

I considered voting for White, though, based on the seemingly-decent job he did running Houston and my dislike of Perry.

He screwed up with the Trans Texas corridor, he screwed up with the mandatory HPV shots, he screwed up with his pathetic stance on border issues....he has lots of failures....but White is completely incompetent. He would bankrupt the state.

We have two politicians both hiding something....White is known to be a sanctuary city supporter, while Perry is known to be apathetic to border issues except during election years.

Houston is not technically a sanctuary city. It was under Mayor White that the city started screening the immigration status of suspects charged with Class B misdemeanors or greater crimes, and turning over illegal immigrants to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

He screwed up with the Trans Texas corridor, he screwed up with the mandatory HPV shots, he screwed up with his pathetic stance on border issues....he has lots of failures....but White is completely incompetent. He would bankrupt the state.

Perry has already bankrupted the state. If you've been paying attention, you'd know that the state faces an $18 billion budget deficit for the next two year budget.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256734081528528.html

The only benefit if Perry wins is that folks can't blame White for the mess left by his predecessor, which is the situation Obama seems to be in these days w.r.t. the economy.

Did White bankrupt Houston?

The term "bankrupt" has been bankrupted of meaning by politicians of all stripes. Neither the City of Houston or the State of Texas are bankrupt; they each face budgetary challenges, and each will have to adopt changes to the way that they do business. But the same can be said of most large states and municipalities in the wake of the Great Recession. The appropriate people to be pissed off at are the congressmen that have served on the House and Senate finance committees over about the last fifteen years.

How in the world does Bill White carry Dallas County, but get trounced in his own hometown - Harris County? I think it speaks to the content of his character.

Have you considered that the Perry ad saying that White killed a cop could have had an effect?

How in the world does Bill White carry Dallas County, but get trounced in his own hometown - Harris County? I think it speaks to the content of his character.

You mean trounced in that Bill White beat Rick Perry in Harris county?

White 395,180 50.2%

Perry 378,928 48.2%

You mean trounced in that Bill White beat Rick Perry in Harris county?

White 395,180 50.2%

Perry 378,928 48.2%

Oh, I see.

I was looking at the following site, but didin't read the column to the far right. Thanks for the correction. I still think it's interesting that White did better in Dallas County than his hometown, Harris County.

Oh, I see.

I was looking at the following site, but didin't read the column to the far right. Thanks for the correction. I still think it's interesting that White did better in Dallas County than his hometown, Harris County.

Well, Dallas County is probably more urban. Dallas and Fort Worth make up 75% of Dallas County, but Houston only makes up 37% of Harris County.

Archived