Sims Bayou Country Club Yacht

bikedavid

Does anyone remember or have any photos of the yacht that was a part of the old Sims Bayou Country Club? It was on what is now Bellfort, west of Telephone Road. The golf course was just a nine-hole course and I think there was a restaurant in the yacht. After the golf course closed, the yacht was still there for a while but there is no evidence of it now. The site is now a county park, used mostly for flood control purposes on Sims Bayou.

Does anyone remember or have any photos of the yacht that was a part of the old Sims Bayou Country Club? It was on what is now Bellfort, west of Telephone Road. The golf course was just a nine-hole course and I think there was a restaurant in the yacht. After the golf course closed, the yacht was still there for a while but there is no evidence of it now. The site is now a county park, used mostly for flood control purposes on Sims Bayou.

here's another HAIF link where it's talked about: http://www.houstonar...__1#entry216286

I know I've read posts & seen photos of it on HAIF, before, but can't seem to locate it.

I grew up near that area, in the '60's, and don't recall the golf facilities. I just remember the Kroger.

And the apartments with the castle theme, on the bend in the bayou. Looks like they took out a tight oxbow in that area, cuts through the park (flood-control) property.

I've always remembered that bayou crossing as being very wide. Can still picture the water flowing through there, after a rainstorm. Lots of it.

http://www.houstonar...__1#entry261396

see post #9, but the picture link doesn't seem to work anymore.

and now I am confused, was the yacht at Golfcrest or at Simms Bayou CC, or was it moved from one to the other?

Thanks for the info. I think I can see the boat on the 1957 and 1964 historicaerials photos, but after that it is obscured by trees if it is still there. The country club looked like it was a very small nine hole course, even smaller after Bellfort was put through. A friend of mine remembers going to the yacht and said it was quite large inside.

In reading through the threads it sounds like what is being discussed is Golfcrest Country Club, whose Mediterreanean-style clubhouse is now a stadium storage facility for HISD. However, I believe the course being described on Sims Bayou is the still-extant Glenbrook Golf Course, which was a nine-hole course originally, opened as Rio Rita Country Club in 1924. Still working on confirming the location of the MV Northwind. historicaerials.com may help. Or Google Earth historical imagery. bikedavid, can you post the location you found on historicaerials.com?

I think the original poster is talking about the driving range, corner of Bellfort & Telephone & a 9-hole course that was located just west of it, was called Simms Bayou Country Club. It was much smaller than Glenbrook. You can barely make it out, see the street Hemingway, by Hartmann Middle School, on historicaeriels. I looks more like a park, even in the 1960's map.

I think the original poster is talking about the driving range, corner of Bellfort & Telephone & a 9-hole course that was located just west of it, was called Simms Bayou Country Club. It was much smaller than Glenbrook. You can barely make it out, see the street Hemingway, by Hartmann Middle School, on historicaeriels. I looks more like a park, even in the 1960's map.

You are correct about the location. I copied this link off of historicaerials. If it opens for you, you will be able to see the 1964 image boat next to the old clubhouse. If you pan out, you can see the newly constructed Bellfort. Telephone Road is to the east. The 1957 image is before Bellfort was built, but you can see the boat.

http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=13405

Wow, there's the boat, I have been looking at that for the last hour, never saw it, til you pointed it out. Was thinking the land was sitting north of Bellfort, but later realized it sits south of Bellfort. The swimming pool was removed or filled in sometime after 1973, in the 1980's map, it's no longer visible.

I remember an Baskin Robbins ice cream shop somewhere close by, on the curve at Bellfort.

Here's something interesting. Before Bellfort was built, access to the Country Club was via a driveway at the current day intersection of Westover and Chaffin per the 1957 view. If you look on Google Streetview, you can see some bricks still standing today at where the former entrance driveway was.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=77061&sll=29.673852,-95.300383&sspn=0.002055,0.005252&g=Houston,+Texas+77021&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Houston,+Texas+77061&ll=29.67385,-95.300382&spn=0.002055,0.005252&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=29.67385,-95.300382&panoid=eIDXzHv6jpGtnm0ON8TPxA&cbp=12,106.76,,0,7.21

• 1 month later...

I remember an Baskin Robbins ice cream shop somewhere close by, on the curve at Bellfort.

The Baskin Robbins was just east of Lancaster Street. That strip was torn down by the early 1990s but the tile floor with "31" on it was still visible for quite some time. A&B Soil Lot occupies the site now.

Very interesting, that entrance, Bellfort just cut right through the property.

what else is interesting is that it looks like the bayou took a more meandering route not too long ago, I wonder how long ago that either changed on its own, or was changed by some civil engineers?

it almost looks like a road went through where the bayou is now, you can see it leading down from bellfort, and up from reed rd.

well, answered my own question, going up to that historic aerials link, the bayou meandered quite a bit at that time!

looking at the maps, some time between 81 and 02 a road was built there, and the bayou was straightened out.

Archived