• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, zaphod said:

Is HPE creating new jobs in the Houston area or are they relocating whatever's left of the old Compaq headquarters?

There have been flooding issues at the old campus, which is driving much of the move decision.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Springwoods Village: New community at I-45 N at Grand Parkway next to ExxonMobil

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Fein-to-start-third-apartment-project-in-14918894.php#photo-12591323

Martin Fein Interests, a Houston-based apartment development and management firm, purchased 17.4 acres on Spring Stuebner Road near Interstate 45 from CDC Houston and plans to develop a project called The Canopy at Springwoods Village.

Designed by Steinberg Dickey Collaborative, the two- and three-story garden style complex at 1800 Spring Stuebner Road will have 332 units with a mix of efficiency, one-, two- and three-bedroom plans. The units, including some townhomes, will range from 552 square feet to 1,705 square feet.

Any sign of construction here?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kim Brown said:

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Fein-to-start-third-apartment-project-in-14918894.php#photo-12591323

Martin Fein Interests, a Houston-based apartment development and management firm, purchased 17.4 acres on Spring Stuebner Road near Interstate 45 from CDC Houston and plans to develop a project called The Canopy at Springwoods Village.

Designed by Steinberg Dickey Collaborative, the two- and three-story garden style complex at 1800 Spring Stuebner Road will have 332 units with a mix of efficiency, one-, two- and three-bedroom plans. The units, including some townhomes, will range from 552 square feet to 1,705 square feet.

Any sign of construction here?

Yes, construction crews have broken ground!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Springwoods Village: New Community at I-45 N. and Grand Parkway Next to ExxonMobil
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very cool news!   #109 on the Fortune 500!

It's not really Compaq coming home.  I think the remains of Compaq are largely housed in the company known as HP Inc., not Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Maybe HP Inc will follow (they are also recently moved to a new Houston campus).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Very cool news!   #109 on the Fortune 500!

It's not really Compaq coming home.  I think the remains of Compaq are largely housed in the company known as HP Inc., not Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Maybe HP Inc will follow (they are also recently moved to a new Houston campus).

I used to do animation work for HP and then when they split in to two companies we did stuff for HPE as well. This is HUGE for Houston and the tech industry. I really hope they consider a downtown campus. 

On 12/1/2020 at 5:25 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I used to do animation work for HP and then when they split in to two companies we did stuff for HPE as well. This is HUGE for Houston and the tech industry. I really hope they consider a downtown campus. 

I hate to be a wet blanket, and I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but a downtown campus is not happening.  Their new headquarters is/will be in Springwoods Village.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Sad 1

Great news! Also, suck it, Austin!

Just kidding. I like Austin (I love Houston) but the number of Californians who say "We love Austin, are you from Austin?" after I say I moved from Texas annoys me. Especially when I say 'No, Houston" and there's silence because they've heard Houston sucks or think that it does. Sorry, quarantine rant. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I hate to be a wet blanket, and I would nothing more than to be proven wrong, but a downtown campus is not happening.  Their new headquarters is/will be in Springwoods Village.

Yep.

Their leader said:

"As we look to the future, our business needs, opportunities for cost savings, and team members’ preferences about the future of work, we have made the decision to relocate HPE’s headquarters to the new campus under construction in Spring, Texas, just outside of Houston."

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I hate to be a wet blanket, and I would nothing more than to be proven wrong, but a downtown campus is not happening.  Their new headquarters is/will be in Springwoods Village.

I'm not talking about an immediate presence downtown. But considering the move along with the development of the Innovation District, as more and more "cool" companies start to move here, I could def see offices downtown or something in the future. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I like Austin in theory more than I like it in practice. 

I think Austin's "weirdness" is contrived and predictable. I find Houston more varied and to some degree eccentric. How many metro area have three ecological zones ( the piney woods big thicket, the marshy southeast, and the prairie like western suburbs), several clusters of large downtown like areas, huge international presence both in population and with 92 consulates, the space center,the largest med center in the world, one of the largest ports in the Americas, and the largest rodeo. Try to give that a simple label.

• Like 9

My theory, as a millenial who was never actually part of the "weird" Austin or Portland or whatever, is that maybe the "weird" actually referred to your standard liberal college town stuff as judged by the abrasive, chain smoking WW2 vet generation who hated the hippies?

I can see how maybe  when Austin was small and more dominated by the UT and the state government it probably would have been a lot more liberal and a lot more open minded than surrounding parts of Texas especially back in the day.

Anyways the new HPE facility is underwhelming. I guess in reality a lot of the employees will work remotely and the HQ title just implies a few dozen big wigs will be based out of it. Like how Exxon is still technically in Irving while the Houston office is a behemoth.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm not talking about an immediate presence downtown. But considering the move along with the development of the Innovation District, as more and more "cool" companies start to move here, I could def see offices downtown or something in the future. 

You’d have to assume Rice is lobbying pretty hard to get them to be involved in some way with the Innovation District.

10 hours ago, zaphod said:

My theory, as a millenial who was never actually part of the "weird" Austin or Portland or whatever, is that maybe the "weird" actually referred to your standard liberal college town stuff as judged by the abrasive, chain smoking WW2 vet generation who hated the hippies?

I can see how maybe  when Austin was small and more dominated by the UT and the state government it probably would have been a lot more liberal and a lot more open minded than surrounding parts of Texas especially back in the day.

Anyways the new HPE facility is underwhelming. I guess in reality a lot of the employees will work remotely and the HQ title just implies a few dozen big wigs will be based out of it. Like how Exxon is still technically in Irving while the Houston office is a behemoth.

No. Austin's charm, even up until like 15 years ago is that it was the biggest "little town" in Texas. It still had that feel. Most of the chiefs and assistant chiefs in the govt are conservatives, so nah, there's no liberal influence there. Alot of people who work in govt are "open minded" but I mean you work for a republican governor, senate, and house so your not really spreading your "open mindedness" anywhere. They are a massive employer though, and if you want a feel for the culture, the liquor store in the capital has empty shelves on fridays, lol. Its a bit depressing. UT is whatever, their primary influence is the kids driving retail and booze sales in the city. The "weird" in Austin was created by older Texans, both vets and non-vets, who enjoyed being outside/farming/ranching while still smoking some weed and drinking too much. Think more Willie Nelson, less douchy new england style ultra-liberal student.

Add me to the category of hoping that the City jumps on this and gives HPE whatever they want to create some kind of presence near Rice's development or downtown. To let HPE move here and then just bury itself into Spring would be kind of an L. 

2 hours ago, X.R. said:

Add me to the category of hoping that the City jumps on this and gives HPE whatever they want to create some kind of presence near Rice's development or downtown. To let HPE move here and then just bury itself into Spring would be kind of an L. 

They've already bury themselves into Spring - that ship sailed a couple of years ago. Hopefully they give some thought into establishing a significant presence ITL, though. HPE Labs at the ion or something.

• Like 5

Didn't mean to turn this into an Austin conversation. Sorry. Last word on that, Austin is great because of it's location to some of the best geography in Texas. Highland lakes, natural springs, Hill Country, even the blossoming wine industry. Swimming at Barton is something Houston will never have.

As for HPE, they're moving from San Jose. San Jose is one giant suburb for the most part. It is no San Franc or Oakland. So it isn't surprising they'd be attracted to similar here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

As for HPE, they're moving from San Jose. San Jose is one giant suburb for the most part. It is no San Franc or Oakland. So it isn't surprising they'd be attracted to similar here.

Very true, and the reality is that most (almost all) of the headquarters relocations to places such as North Texas that some HAIFers often envy, are also to suburban locations.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Austin has been described as "the city furthest east in California".
I too like Austin but sometimes it borders on cutsie-ness, and diversity isn't its strong suit.
It's OK to be weird, so long as you're weird exactly the way they are.

Austin:East San Jose::Katy:East San Antonio

Joe Nick Patoski's book is worth a read:

How Austin Got Weird

• Like 2