Fired TV anchor loses suit against Channel 2

sifuwong

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7105300.html

A Harris County district judge has ruled in favor of KPRC-TV Channel 2 and three current or former station executives in a lawsuit filed by former anchor Wendy Corona.

Corona sought $3.2 million in damages plus court costs from Channel 2, which is owned by Post-Newsweek Stations, and individual defendants after her dismissal from the station in January 2009.

She came to Channel 2 in 2006 from Post-Newsweek's WPLG in Miami.

However, Judge Sylvia Matthews last week granted motions for summary judgment by the defendants to dismiss allegations of breach of contract, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, misrepresentation and fraud.

Other defendants in the case included Channel 2 station manager Larry Blackerby; former Channel 2 news directors Nancy Shafran, who hired Corona and worked with her for about two months; and Skip Valet.

Corona's attorney, Jan Woodward Fox, declined comment Monday on the judge's ruling, and Shira Yoshor, who represented Channel 2, could not be reached for comment.

Attorney Demetrios Anaipakos, who represents Shafran, said a counterclaim against Corona for filing an abuse pleading remains pending before the court.

• 1 month later...

I do not know exactly what her contract said but I'm pretty sure it was not like the one Connan O'Brian had where they would pay him millions of dollars if they decided to remove him from the air.

3.2 mil for a local anchor that does not even get the prime time broadcast spot?

KPRC has been just tabloid style garbage since the mid 90s. It was okay when Jan Carson, Craig Roberts, Bob Nicholas, et al...were there. The handover to the next generation was a disaster.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7105300.html

A Harris County district judge has ruled in favor of KPRC-TV Channel 2 and three current or former station executives in a lawsuit filed by former anchor Wendy Corona.

Corona sought $3.2 million in damages plus court costs from Channel 2, which is owned by Post-Newsweek Stations, and individual defendants after her dismissal from the station in January 2009.

She came to Channel 2 in 2006 from Post-Newsweek's WPLG in Miami.

However, Judge Sylvia Matthews last week granted motions for summary judgment by the defendants to dismiss allegations of breach of contract, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, misrepresentation and fraud.

Other defendants in the case included Channel 2 station manager Larry Blackerby; former Channel 2 news directors Nancy Shafran, who hired Corona and worked with her for about two months; and Skip Valet.

Corona's attorney, Jan Woodward Fox, declined comment Monday on the judge's ruling, and Shira Yoshor, who represented Channel 2, could not be reached for comment.

Attorney Demetrios Anaipakos, who represents Shafran, said a counterclaim against Corona for filing an abuse pleading remains pending before the court.

Wendy who?

I assume she's a pretty girl who can read out loud from a teleprompter. I imagine that this isn't an ability unique to her.

Perhaps if she possessed more substantial talents I might be more sympathetic.

She kinda sucked. A pretty face, but kinda sucked. KPRC has seemed lost for at least about 15 years. I miss the days when I was a kid, when you had Ron Stone on KPRC, Steve Smith on KHOU, and Dave Ward on KTRK. They all had gravitas as local anchors, and Steve Smith and Ron Stone were my favorites. Ward is the only one around anymore.

KPRC seems to go for fluff, sensationalism, and superficiality. Bill Balleza is decent, but all of their other onscreen personalities are now picked for looks, and are complete airheads - Dominique Sachse, Lauren Freeman - blech. I remember about 4 or 5 years ago, Sachse's whole "I've got a secret" promo that lasted a few weeks before she predictably announced her pregnancy. How freaking narcissistic! Is she there to be a news anchor, to soberly and with credibility report the news to us, or is she there to promote herself, to be a local Paris Freaking Hilton?

And that "Radar the Weather Dog" crap from right about the same time! Why should anyone take a station that pulls such asinine stunts seriously as a news source?

Archived