Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Clearly, once a particular item is available somewhere within the city limits, any additional availability is redundant and doesn't actually result in incremental sales taxes. We should probably just have one store that the entire city of Houston shops in then, right?

A mega store with everything! Now there's an idea that might kill Walmart.

I've got a better idea, though. Why don't we order all stores closed and just use the internet. We'll demolish all retail structures and then there will be plenty of room to build mixed-use, just without any retail.

A mega store with everything! Now there's an idea that might kill Walmart.

I've got a better idea, though. Why don't we order all stores closed and just use the internet. We'll demolish all retail structures and then there will be plenty of room to build mixed-use, just without any retail.

Ground floor internet kiosks?

cinco, that's a good point. But for the City to not make the same mistake twice, it has to realize it made a mistake. For example, if I don't realize that posting on HAIF is a total waste of time (which I could spend affecting government on all levels instead), then I'll never stop.

Or, if these 380 are really good, they should figure that out too. I think Austin has to put all their 380 payment info on a website (I think because they got in trouble).

Houston should do the same. It should be easy for us to look and see who our City is handing out tax dollars to and how much.

And if these are dirty deals, it's irrelevant what portion of the budget is involved - I only stole 0.6% of the City's total budget isn't a good defense.

Interestingly enough, if you look at the current deal that is being discussed - the new Costco in Katy - you could argue that the city has learned its lesson because that is a mixed use development of the kind that is generally craved in this forum (although it compensates for car usage not just walkability) and is at a lower price tag than the Walmart deal.

• 5 weeks later...

Good op-ed piece on 380's in general:

http://www.chron.com/opinion/outlook/article/Tax-incentives-for-the-deserving-4721551.php

"In principle, using public funds to reimburse wealthy developers and corporations for building infrastructure that their projects require to be successful is bad public policy. Those who will make the profits should also bear the expense of development."

Cheers
James

Good op-ed piece on 380's in general:

"In principle, using public funds to reimburse wealthy developers and corporations for building infrastructure that their projects require to be successful is bad public policy. Those who will make the profits should also bear the expense of development."

Penned by the director of RUHD, as if that was a surprise.

I'm going to start RUFP, Responsible Use of Forest Products to protest the numbers of trees that could have been better served in the manufacture of toilet-paper than in the pages used for this op-ed.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Walmart To Invade The Heights
  • The title was changed to Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 1 month later...

"Shaquille O’Neal’s chicken restaurant is coming to central Houston. The NBA Hall of Famer and media personality announced that the next location of Big Chicken will open next year near the Heights.

Scheduled to open in early 2024, Big Chicken has claimed the former Corner Bakery space at 107 Yale Street."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/big-chicken-shaquille-o-neal-heights/

T9uvEKJ.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

"Shaquille O’Neal’s chicken restaurant is coming to central Houston. The NBA Hall of Famer and media personality announced that the next location of Big Chicken will open next year near the Heights.

Scheduled to open in early 2024, Big Chicken has claimed the former Corner Bakery space at 107 Yale Street."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/big-chicken-shaquille-o-neal-heights/

Big Chicken is leasing a unit in the shopping center named Washington Heights. Washington Heights consists of units located at 107 Yale, 167-175 Yale, 145 Heights Blvd, and 181 Heights Blvd.

Despite Walmart's proximity, the retailer is not part of the Washington Heights shopping center.

Source: Leasing materials for Washington Heights

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S-ccrMRVpmKepi7BuA1oC7Qg3XlpVOud/view?pli=1

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, hindesky said:

cWiwabu.pnggc8c8fx.png

As mentioned previously, Big Chicken is not opening at Walmart. It's opening in the shopping center Washington Heights. Walmart is NOT part of the Washington Heights development; hence why there is a topic for Walmart and Washington Heights.

👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/23505-walmart-supercenter-at-111-yale-st/?do=findComment&comment=686580

On 8/23/2023 at 11:56 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Big Chicken is leasing a unit in the shopping center named Washington Heights. Washington Heights consists of units located at 107 Yale, 167-175 Yale, 145 Heights Blvd, and 181 Heights Blvd.

Despite Walmart's proximity, the retailer is not part of the Washington Heights shopping center.

Source: Leasing materials for Washington Heights

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S-ccrMRVpmKepi7BuA1oC7Qg3XlpVOud/view?pli=1

zIrfTwu.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston