Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Was Wal-Mart approached by the owner of the property on Yale between I-10 and Washington to buy the land? This is the same property H-E-B was looking at to build a new store along the lines of the one on Bunker Hill. Is the deal done with Wal-Mart? I've heard yes. What does this mean to the likes of our Heights Mom and Pops? What will that do to the traffic patterns on Yale and Washington? Google "Wal Mart parking lot crime" and let us know our thoughts!

Was Wal-Mart approached by the owner of the property on Yale between I-10 and Washington to buy the land? This is the same property H-E-B was looking at to build a new store along the lines of the one on Bunker Hill. Is the deal done with Wal-Mart? I've heard yes. What does this mean to the likes of our Heights Mom and Pops? What will that do to the traffic patterns on Yale and Washington? Google "Wal Mart parking lot crime" and let us know our thoughts!

That made me throw up in my mouth a little

I certainly hope that the rumor is true. It'd be an enormous convenience for low-income families living in the inner loop. But I doubt it.

• Like 1

No.

Yes, it's gross. That said, the pork chops I bought at Walmart on the way home from work tonight were delicious. (The chorizo pizza will have to wait till the weekend. I don't want to subject my coworkers to the next day madness.)

Oh I hope this does not happen. What a sad day indeed if this is the case. Wal-Mart killing the beauty of the mom-and-pop feel of the Heights with their corporate greed and ugliness.

Perfect! A central wal-mart not in my neighborhood is exactly what I've been hoping for....j/k. Well, sort of

But seriously, it does seem like a pretty good place for one, and it's not like it's smack dab in the middle of the Heights. I also don't see how this would kill the mom-and-pops when Target hasn't

Perfect! A central wal-mart not in my neighborhood is exactly what I've been hoping for....j/k. Well, sort of

But seriously, it does seem like a pretty good place for one, and it's not like it's smack dab in the middle of the Heights. I also don't see how this would kill the mom-and-pops when Target hasn't

Well, most likely, if it's going on a lot sized for an HEB similar to the one on Buffalo Speedway, this lot will only be able to contain one of Walmart's high-end grocery concept stores. I doubt it'll bring in all the riff-raff associated with normal Walmarts.

I do think this is a pretty good point. I mean people who are going to shop our local stores are going to shop them regardless of what big box discounter opens near by. Walmart did ruin/close most small businesses in my hometown but that is because it's a small, low income community that doesn't realize more money filters in to your own economy when you buy local.

I don't dislike the idea of Walmart simply for it's potential effects on small business. I dislike them because they pay poorly, are well known for discriminatory (gender and race) practices, send money and manufacturing jobs to China, don't pay their employees enough to pay for their corporate health care plan and often refuse to hire people above 30 hours a week so they can't even qualify for that plan, plus other business practices that I feel harm American workers and companies trying to stay competitive while keeping as much work as they can made in the US.

• Like 6

Well, most likely, if it's going on a lot sized for an HEB similar to the one on Buffalo Speedway, this lot will only be able to contain one of Walmart's high-end grocery concept stores. I doubt it'll bring in all the riff-raff associated with normal Walmarts.

are you saying all the people from www.peopleofwalmart.com are hiding at home?....just waiting for a walmart to be built near them so they can display all of their gloriousness?

See page 2 of this document

Granted the dates are wrong, but it does suggest a lease has been signed....

Perhaps, perhaps not. Notice the faded orange capital letters that read "NOT A |...". I'm almost positive that the last word is "PART". Which is to say, not only is the date wrong; it's a different property. We must be weary of broker flyers and gossip from authoritative sources.

Having shopped at Walmart and recently at Ikea, I can safely say there is no difference in clientele. In fact, the Walmart that I stopped at in the Woodlands had far better clientele. Besides, now, that the City is sneaking an historic district in on me without letting me vote on it, and forcing me to hire an architect ever time I work on my house, I'll need the low prices that Walmart promises. I can't wait for them to start.

• Like 2

Oh no, an empty area near some railroad tracks might turn into a Wal-Mart! Why is this bad? The same people who live around here will shop around here. If you don't like the people you live around, you might be in danger of seeing them at Wal-Mart. As for parking lot crime, that is much more about location than anything else so it would happen whether you put an HEB there or Wal-Mart.

If this is true, I would have to guess that it won't be a regular "blue-label" Wal-Mart store. WM has been testing neighborhood grocery stores in Arizona named "Marketside". It's a little swankier than WM Neighborhood Market (like the one off of Hillcroft in Westbury).

This Marketside concept actually sounds exactly like what Heights residents have been wanting.

I would agree that lot is not nearly large enough for a typical WM big box store.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketside

Supposedly they put their Marketside concepts on hold during the recession in 2009, but who knows, things may have changed since then.

• Like 1

I don't think there is enough square footage at this location for a Wal-Mart parking lot; much less the Wal-Mart. Anyone know?

The typical suburban Wal-Mart Supercenter requires 20 to 25 acres for the store, parking, drainage and stormwater retention, landscaping, and loading docks. That's part of why I'm skeptical about this rumor, is that inner loop real estate is just too fragmented and expensive to accommodate that kind of footprint for a store that caters to the lower end of the market.

The typical suburban Wal-Mart Supercenter requires 20 to 25 acres for the store, parking, drainage and stormwater retention, landscaping, and loading docks. That's part of why I'm skeptical about this rumor, is that inner loop real estate is just too fragmented and expensive to accommodate that kind of footprint for a store that caters to the lower end of the market.

Maybe they could do it like the Wal-mart and Sam's Club in downtown Honolulu -- Full-sized Wal-mart on the first floor, Full-sized Sam's club on the 2nd floor and an attached parking garage about 3 floors as I recall. I think the whole thing would fit on that lot.

Yes, from Google Earth measurements, the lot for the Honolulu Super Walmart / Sams Club is about 860ft x 820ft and the lot on Yale is about 900ft x 1000ft (if we're talking about the one where the old steel/iron works was on the west side of Yale).

post-5429-017142200 1277273392_thumb.jpg

Edited by heights

Ooh maybe it'll be 5 stories high too! LOL.

I kind of have a hard time believing this... if Starbucks had so much trouble coming into the area (and had to settle for the 610 feeder location), you'd think Walmart would too. You'd hope, at least.

Maybe they could do it like the Wal-mart and Sam's Club in downtown Honolulu -- Full-sized Wal-mart on the first floor, Full-sized Sam's club on the 2nd floor and an attached parking garage about 3 floors as I recall. I think the whole thing would fit on that lot.

Yes, from Google Earth measurements, the lot for the Honolulu Super Walmart / Sams Club is about 860ft x 820ft and the lot on Yale is about 900ft x 1000ft (if we're talking about the one where the old steel/iron works was on the west side of Yale).

I can assure you, the Heights is not in any way shape or form comparable to Honolulu. That's not what we're getting.

If the parcel is about 21 acres, then they could squeeze a typical Supercenter onto it. It's physically feasible, and no doubt they'd be interested in at least evaluating the opportunity. Wal-Mart is in a very strong cash position, and this would be a good time for them to be acquiring and developing irreplaceable infill sites in core markets.

Quite nicely, thank you :rolleyes:

You say that...but I gather that you've been indoctrinated to a subculture propagated by over-educated white people that features class-based shame and douchey shame-avoidance behavior as a central tenet.

If you were a low-earning Mexican that had called the Heights home all your life, you'd have likely lamented in 2005 that the Target on Sawyer Street was not a Wal-Mart Supercenter and would be thrilled at these rumors because you were tired of packing several generations of family into a car for a day trip to a distant suburban Wal-Mart.

Ooh maybe it'll be 5 stories high too! LOL.

I kind of have a hard time believing this... if Starbucks had so much trouble coming into the area (and had to settle for the 610 feeder location), you'd think Walmart would too. You'd hope, at least.

Yep...the Honolulu store is the result of high land prices and limited availability as well as limited competition in their market space. I doubt that cost-conscience Walmart would find it economically feasible to build a similar store in a city like Houston.

You say that...but I gather that you've been indoctrinated to a subculture propagated by over-educated white people that features class-based shame and douchey shame-avoidance behavior as a central tenet.

If you were a low-earning Mexican that had called the Heights home all your life, you'd have likely lamented in 2005 that the Target on Sawyer Street was not a Wal-Mart Supercenter and would be thrilled at these rumors because you were tired of packing several generations of family into a car for a day trip to a distant suburban Wal-Mart.

Hey Niche, back up a bit. Perhaps you ought to take a look in to the indoctrination mirror, especially from the "douchey" angle. Not everyone who lives in the Heights is a low-earning Mexican. There are quite a few high-earning Mexicans, as well as low-earning families from all the other categories you seem to be preinclined to reference, living in the Heights. Citing a stereotypical image of several generations of a Mexican family being packed in to a car is, dare I say it, douchey? Can I be just as tired of packing several generations of my anglo family in to a car to drive basically the same distance as the closest Wal-Mart to hit an H-E-B?

IMHO H-E-B has better quality products, wider selection, better customer service, and much better employee morale (due to Charles Butt actually caring about his employees)than Wal-Mart. H-E-B is a better neighbor than Wal-Mart. They care much more about the local community. Check out what they invest annually back in to the communities, not to mention their support of public schools. Don't believe me? Then you try to help out your local public school's annual Fall Festival, Spring Picnic or whatever. Ask your local H-E-B for a donation of food, water, gift cards, whatever, and you will be pleasantly surprised. Ask WalMart and you're lucky if you get a small, and I do mean small as in buy a couple of candy bars, gift card.

All I am saying is that I would much rather have someone who is vested in the prosperity of the local community, as H-E-B is, than a company like WalMart who is constantly in the press for all the new ways they have come up with to screw the little guys.

• Like 1

Hah, is Target just not good enough all of a sudden?

It isn't. It is over-hyped, is over-priced, has a more limited selection, and does not operate 24 hours.

Let's be clear on this. If I want to buy a package of white t-shirts, three dozen cans of cat food, and blank CDs in one trip, I have a choice between Wal-Mart and Target; Wal-Mart is less expensive and more straightforward. If I'm shopping fairly late at night, as I'm prone to do, then Wal-Mart is my only choice. And if I need to buy a water meter key at 3:30 AM because a pipe burst, a nearby Wal-Mart is an absolute godsend.

And as for home fashion or work clothes, I'm not going to shop at a big box discounter, no matter how many thin, sexy 17-year-olds they have sporting their wares to energetic pop music. All that gimmickry is just lipstick on a pig. Some people respond to it; that's their problem, not mine.

• Like 1