University of Houston Football Stadium

Any reason the bowl/deck isn't completed around the Houston side like it is on the Cougars side? To keep an opening/view of the skyline from the stands or something? Or maybe they just haven't completed it yet? Lol. I would of figured all the major structural elements were in place already.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a one day deal for reserved season tickets in section 332 for $99. You have to call in to place your order. (713) 462-6647. 

Section 332 is around the 20 yard line next to young alumni section. Considering the sad state of affairs of the Texans and Astros (and their pricing) as well as the ridiculousness of pricing for the Rockets, this is a great deal.

Go Coogs!

• Like 3

There's a one day deal for reserved season tickets in section 332 for $99. You have to call in to place your order. (713) 462-6647.

Section 332 is around the 20 yard line next to young alumni section. Considering the sad state of affairs of the Texans and Astros (and their pricing) as well as the ridiculousness of pricing for the Rockets, this is a great deal.

Go Coogs!

Well yeah but those are all professional sports teams. I use the word professional lightly but still.

Great deal tho will have to show my pops this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't compare to the Aggies or Longhorns but I'm happy for them. It looks good. Now if only Rice could do something with their aging stadium. Of course their student body cares less about football then anyone so i don't expect to see anything as nice as the U of H stadium.  

• Like 1

150px-Logo_of_University_of_Houston_Athl

lately, i have been eagerly awaiting my daily facebook updates, regarding

the ongoing construction, as per the gorgeous / beautiful new TDECU stadium.

upon every reference of these anticipated illustrations, i become a bit more awe inspired,

and not to mention proud.. of the university of houston.  

yes!  i know that i am a TEXAS LONGHORN.. ingrained, through and through.  however, i shall

never, ever be one to try and attempt to compare stadiums... for this shall be silly season at it's finest.

but, there is one thing that i would just love to share to this fair city of houston that i call home, and 

to all of the wonderful and now beaming houston cougars around town....

congratulations-desi-glitters-13.gif

• Like 3

It looks kinda cool, but I've been spoiled by the Kyle Field construction.  :P

Every other stadium I've seen recently seems more like a overbudgeted high school stadium.  :unsure:

Kyle field...

tumblr_lsx3v0sb4x1qzbl7f.jpg

Kyle field should have been wiped off the map and rebuilt.

Look at this:

dB0Ri5t.png

In the haste to 'beat' the longhorns and build bigger, I guess the aggies forgot that a stadium was supposed to look nice on the inside AND outside. Are they going to fix that tunnel / gap thingy?

If Kyle field was a car, it would look like this:

FrankenCar-L.jpg

• Like 4

No need to get this thread off the rails again... Both of these stadiums are going to look great when finished.  They are playing to two very different football cultures and address them each very well.  UH is greatly improving their facility (and facilities!) while keeping the seating capacity where it needs to be.  The design fits in with a lot of the new buildings going up on campus so in my opinion, job well done.  

• Like 3

Including the one in Allen, Texas? :P

* College football stadium

It's the size that gets me, really...not a big fan of the design or the renovation plan to begin with (there's way more box seats, it's all about the $$$$)

That being said, the U of H design looks kinda weird...that red and white...wall...should have stayed on a rendering.

After a few decades of mold and general wear and tear, it will either look charming or a monstrosity that everyone regrets. Such is architecture...  :P

• Like 1

Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's why people hate Aggies.

*Not all, just the unnecessarily pompous ones. We are proud of our stadium, you are the rich kid saying, "Nice house, I guess I am just used to my house with 4 stories."

Edited by kbates2
  • Like 5

Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's why people hate Aggies.

*Not all, just the unnecessarily pompous ones. We are proud of our stadium, you are the rich kid saying, "Nice house, I guess I am just used to my house with 4 stories."

Except not. I wasn't trying to be smug nor get into a contest. I'm not a huge fan of architectural choices on the U of H stadium, and because of my perspective, all other football stadiums do seem small. It's also impossible to ignore because it monopolizes the construction resources in town. A gas station shouldn't take months to be done, for instance.

• Like 1

College football stadiums often come together over decades and end up less than visually cohesive. Though as long as the experience in the stadium is good, it is about all you will hear. Rice Stadium is a great piece, but no one that enters the place ever thinks about that. 

TDECU seems like a good setup for UH, though skewing the field away from N-S to get a skyline view (for a few folks) seems obtrusively hokey. Tinted face shields all around for afternoon games.

• Like 1

seriously people? When did this turn into a dick measuring contest? ffs give it a rest! Keep the cheap shots to yourselves as that's not needed at all...

@DNAguy .....simply wow. that was pretty pitiful. plus bad use of meme as well. for shame.

I think we can all agree that UofH has been pretty brave in terms of their choice to go to more contemporary choices of architecture lately while many, including A&M, continue to hold onto the last vestiges of historicism (of course we are getting better. I think an example of that is going to be our new Engineering building. But seriously we need to drop the beige look >.> ). I love our new Kyle Field. It's pretty impressive, but of course as someone perusing architecture I wished they were a lot bolder....especially when I heard they had recruited Populous!

This stadium here is the perfect size, and perfect look for a University looking to transform itself. I rather us build up each other in terms of our great buildings thus far instead of just being dicks about it.......save that for the gridiron anyway. I mean the American Conference...really? lol.

The one gripe I continue to have with this thing is the name. Ugh. That's undefendable guys. Y'all could have maybe done it like how we did Olsen Field where the name is Blue Bell Park, but essentially it's still Olsen Field except for y'all the reverse. So you keep the name Robertson Stadium with the field sponsored instead? I dont know just an idea.

• Like 1

Except not. I wasn't trying to be smug nor get into a contest. I'm not a huge fan of architectural choices on the U of H stadium, and because of my perspective, all other football stadiums do seem small. It's also impossible to ignore because it monopolizes the construction resources in town. A gas station shouldn't take months to be done, for instance.

I can't speak for the renovations to Kyle Field because I haven't seen them yet. I've been to the campus of Texas A&M a handful of times and it was a pretty generic campus. If they were going for an engineering school type of look then it worked.

The University of Houston actually features two buildings by Pritzker Prize winning Architects (the highest award an architect can receive) so it has some variety. Also, the campus of the University of Houston was recently featured in this new Jadeveon Clowney Commercial...It's pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654mJ3Svv7U&app=desktop

• Like 3