University of Houston Football Stadium

I am so excited about this stadium. I saw the cladding going up over the weekend, and I have to say, I like it. The cladding was the one thing I was worried the most about but I think it's going to look great, especially when the locker rooms, Music Bldgs, and ticket offices brick work will be completed.

The campus is really looking good. I really like the new dorms opened adjacent to the stadium. There's so much more life out at UH than there used to be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The youtube clip in the blog post is pretty good and includes an in-stadium view of downtown through the opening they left between the stands. The view will get better and better over the years :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I visited the old UH football stadium in recent years. It was definitely time for a new one. Great pics, thanks for documenting the progress. Can't wait to attend a game, and see the new structure.

Beautiful stadium. I'm not a coog but it's exciting all that's going on over there. Three new light rail stops with easy connection to Downtown and other parts of town. And the new fine arts "grove" looks like it's going to be very nice. Now it's time to replace Hofheinz Pavilion!

By the way, my school (Tulane) is also building a new on campus stadium that will open this year. In our case though we are moving from playing inside the New Orleans Superdome to playing outside. I guess I am in the minority but I would rather watch a game inside rather than deal with the potential heat, humidity, rain, cold, and glare of the sun just to be "on campus." But apparently, the game day atmosphere inside the Superdome had become dull and lifeless. 

Yulman Stadium, New Orleans:

post-194-0-65504700-1401398746.jpg

Beautiful stadium. I'm not a coog but it's exciting all that's going on over there. Three new light rail stops with easy connection to Downtown and other parts of town. And the new fine arts "grove" looks like it's going to be very nice. Now it's time to replace Hofheinz Pavilion!

By the way, my school (Tulane) is also building a new on campus stadium that will open this year. In our case though we are moving from playing inside the New Orleans Superdome to playing outside. I guess I am in the minority but I would rather watch a game inside rather than deal with the potential heat, humidity, rain, cold, and glare of the sun just to be "on campus." But apparently, the game day atmosphere inside the Superdome had become dull and lifeless. 

Yulman Stadium, New Orleans:

props, as per sharing!  here's to wishing much success to the new YULMAN STADIUM in new orleans.

UH fan here, went to a couple of road games against Tulane when were with them in CUSA...the atmosphere at the dome was depressing....there were always more coog fans than Tulane fans...i'm sure that your new on campus stadium is going to increase the gameday atmosphere at Tulane football games

UH fan here, went to a couple of road games against Tulane when were with them in CUSA...the atmosphere at the dome was depressing....there were always more coog fans than Tulane fans...i'm sure that your new on campus stadium is going to increase the gameday atmosphere at Tulane football games

When I lived in NOLA the best thing about Tulane playing in the Dome were the great first row seats at the 50 yard line when Case and the Coogs came to town!

And now we're back! After a year of being in different football conferences, UH and Tulane are together again in the AAC. The Cougars were probably trying to get away from playing smaller schools like Tulane and Tulsa, but you can't get rid of us! At least you get a trip to NOLA every other year.

I am looking forward to checking out the new UH stadium on November 8, when the Green Wave visit. Might be fun to take the light rail, if it is up and running by then. 

• 1 month later...

The University of Houston plans to announce Tuesday that the naming rights for its new 40,000-seat on-campus football stadium has been bought by Texas Dow Employees Credit Union, a person with knowledge of the agreement told the Houston Chronicle.

The stadium will be known as TDECU Stadium as part of the agreement. Financial terms were not immediately available.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/TDECU-buys-naming-rights-to-new-UH-football-5605117.php

Looks like UH did not consider image when selling the naming rights. Not a knock on the credit union, but it just sounds like a silly name for a stadium.

• Like 1

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/TDECU-buys-naming-rights-to-new-UH-football-5605117.php

Looks like UH did not consider image when selling the naming rights. Not a knock on the credit union, but it just sounds like a silly name for a stadium.

actually, when i first read it much earlier.. i was thinking the exact same thing.  TDEFCU.. can it get any worse?  

• Like 1

TOUCHDOWN EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY STADIUM?!?

Way to honor your division rivals, UH.

• Like 1

After reading that, I feel like Ted from the movie "Ted" when he opens the refrigerator door, grabs a "Michelob Ultra Tuscan Orange Grapefruit" and says "my God, America is imploding."

• Like 1