Cooter's Bar and the 86 Mets

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brunsonpark08

brunsonpark08
  • 27 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I have just finished reading "The Bad Guys Won" by Jeff Pearlman about the 1986 New York Mets. There is a chapter devoted to the incident at Cooter's where 4 Met players were arrested. The Met players claim they were beaten and harassed by the Houston Police. They were celebrating due to 1 of the 4 becomming a new dad. Police say the 4 players were drunk, loud, and refused to leave. Cooter's let all athletes/celebrities drink for free and was known to be hangout for hootchies looking to snag a meal ticket. The Mets stayed at the Westin Galleria, so I am assuming Cooter's was near by. The book states the bar closed in 1991. Cooters began selling shirts stating (Houston Police 4, Mets 0) If this already has a tread, I apologize. I just wanted to know more about Cooters.

http://findarticles....v20/ai_4570990/

#2 kylejack

kylejack
  • 4796 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM

The link you posted has it at 5164 Richmond, so right where that big parking lot is now, with TJ Maxx and etc.

#3 rsb320

rsb320
  • 2175 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.
  •  

Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM

It was on the western end of Windsor Plaza. If I recall correctly, it was a kickerish-type club. I was refused entry once in the 80's for having on white K-Swiss shoes.

#4 EMME

EMME
  • 645 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM

It was not a kickerish place. It was a kind of cooler disco type. Dance music but not necessarily disco music. Popular top 40. Most dance clubs back then didn't allow athletic shoes. They weren't yet "cool". Cooters was kind of a casual, unpretentious dance club in a time of flashy/trashy dance clubs. The people that worked there were like family, the owners took care of their employees. I'm betting that if you find one long time bartender to contact, they are still in contact with alot of the other employees. Long time friendships were forged there. When Randy's opened in west HOuston, alot of the Cooters people jumped over there. I don't remember if Cooter's had had a change in management or not, but Randy had been I think a long time GM of Cooters and was much loved.
If you serve when asked, you have waited too long.

#5 Subdude

Subdude
  • 8740 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Cooters had its 15 minutes of bar fame early- to mid 1980s, so it was post-disco era. It seems it was more toward the center of Windsor Plaza. I might be hallucinating on this one, but weren't there some pool tables there as well? I do remember the black vinyl faux leather wallpaper in the hallway with the phones that led to the restrooms. Classy touch that. B) The place always struck me as vaguely sleazy, not that that stopped me from going there on Friday nights. Ah yes, Cooters followed by early morning grub at Harlow's - how's that for 80s memories? ^_^
"Foolery, sir, does walk about the orb
like the sun; it shines everywhere"

Real men don't say "veggie".

#6 bababooey

bababooey
  • 11 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Cooters had its 15 minutes of bar fame early- to mid 1980s, so it was post-disco era. It seems it was more toward the center of Windsor Plaza. I might be hallucinating on this one, but weren't there some pool tables there as well? I do remember the black vinyl faux leather wallpaper in the hallway with the phones that led to the restrooms. Classy touch that. B) The place always struck me as vaguely sleazy, not that that stopped me from going there on Friday nights. Ah yes, Cooters followed by early morning grub at Harlow's - how's that for 80s memories? ^_^

Cooters was located at the end of the Windsor Plaza strip mall just west of the late, great Agora Ballroom.

Though it wasn't my cup of tea, it definitely wasn't sleazy. Sleazy would be the old topless club just east of the Agora Ballroom.

#7 spiderroller

spiderroller
  • 204 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I have just finished reading "The Bad Guys Won" by Jeff Pearlman about the 1986 New York Mets. There is a chapter devoted to the incident at Cooter's where 4 Met players were arrested. The Met players claim they were beaten and harassed by the Houston Police. They were celebrating due to 1 of the 4 becomming a new dad. Police say the 4 players were drunk, loud, and refused to leave. Cooter's let all athletes/celebrities drink for free and was known to be hangout for hootchies looking to snag a meal ticket. The Mets stayed at the Westin Galleria, so I am assuming Cooter's was near by. The book states the bar closed in 1991. Cooters began selling shirts stating (Houston Police 4, Mets 0) If this already has a tread, I apologize. I just wanted to know more about Cooters.

http://findarticles....v20/ai_4570990/

Cooter's had way more than 15 minutes of fame. It lasted longer than almost every other club in the city of Houston. After it shut it's doors, there was another Cooter's still open at 45 and Edgebrook. They were never even remotely the same.

Cooter's at Windsor Plaza was a Butt Hutt - outside of the Ocean Club, Cooter's was about the best place to meet women in the 80s.

#8 rsb320

rsb320
  • 2175 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.
  •  

Posted Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 12:40 PM

It was not a kickerish place. It was a kind of cooler disco type. Dance music but not necessarily disco music. Popular top 40. Most dance clubs back then didn't allow athletic shoes. They weren't yet "cool". Cooters was kind of a casual, unpretentious dance club in a time of flashy/trashy dance clubs. The people that worked there were like family, the owners took care of their employees. I'm betting that if you find one long time bartender to contact, they are still in contact with alot of the other employees. Long time friendships were forged there. When Randy's opened in west HOuston, alot of the Cooters people jumped over there. I don't remember if Cooter's had had a change in management or not, but Randy had been I think a long time GM of Cooters and was much loved.

Maybe I was thinking of a club called Cowboy or something. If I remember correctly, that was across Sage from Cooters.

#9 spiderroller

spiderroller
  • 204 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Maybe I was thinking of a club called Cowboy or something. If I remember correctly, that was across Sage from Cooters.

Actually, Cowboy was at Sage and Alabama. Not across from Cooters, but down the street (sort of).

Cowboy in the 70s was followed by... in no particular order..... Confetti, Pirhana Room, Rockz, R&R Bar.... and at least another 4-5 names.