"Houston, Model City"

Forbes just released a flattering article on Houston, credit Joel Kotkin. Kotkin is the author of The Next Hundred Million: America in 2050. Highlights: "Over the past decade Houston's population has grown by 24%--five times the rate of San Francisco, Boston and New York." "Between 2000 and 2009 Houston's employment grew by 260,000." He goes on to mention "smug coastal places getting smoked by Texas", and compares H-town to Descartes's Amsterdam--"an inventory of the possible." Whoa... I'm getting the book.

Forbes just released a flattering article on Houston, credit Joel Kotkin. Kotkin is the author of The Next Hundred Million: America in 2050. Highlights: "Over the past decade Houston's population has grown by 24%--five times the rate of San Francisco, Boston and New York." "Between 2000 and 2009 Houston's employment grew by 260,000." He goes on to mention "smug coastal places getting smoked by Texas", and compares H-town to Descartes's Amsterdam--"an inventory of the possible." Whoa... I'm getting the book.

I've read the book and I've been meaning to open a thread on it for a while. One of the reasons that he's pro-Houston and anti-"smug coastal places" is because of Houston's willingness to sprawl and the growth and development of its suburbs. Not likely to be a popular topic here.

Archived