Off Shore Wind Farm

I'm really surprised no one has started talking about this project, especially after the major oil spill that occurred near Louisana.

Just when Massachusetts thought they would be the first to build an off-shore wind farm in/near America, it looks like Texas will actually be the first, and the project starts this year!

The first offshore production wind turbine in the U.S. will likely be erected this summer off the coast of Galveston, Texas, and operational by fall, says Herman Schellstede, the chief technology officer of Coastal Point Energy LLC. Formerly called Wind Energy Systems Technology (W.E.S.T. LLC), the company holds leases to five tracts of submerged land in the Gulf of Mexico, totaling 84,000 acres. A second company, Baryonyx, holds leases to two more tracts.

Link

Just when Massachusetts thought they would be the first to build an off-shore wind farm in/near America, it looks like Texas will actually be the first, and the project starts this year!

And just think...but not for Ted Kennedy's blue-blooded obstructionism, we wouldn't have that bragging right.

Interesting tidbit from the article which is allowing us to build without approval from the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Texas has unique coastal sovereignty. Because of a stipulation made when the Texas republic joined the United States in 1845, its boundary extends 10.3 miles from the coast. Wind companies interested in building projects up to that distance from the shore need only sign a lease with the Texas General Land Office.

Federal land for all other coastal states begins 3 miles offshore,.....

Interesting tidbit from the article which is allowing us to build without approval from the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Texas has unique coastal sovereignty. Because of a stipulation made when the Texas republic joined the United States in 1845, its boundary extends 10.3 miles from the coast. Wind companies interested in building projects up to that distance from the shore need only sign a lease with the Texas General Land Office.

Federal land for all other coastal states begins 3 miles offshore,.....

This is why Texas > *

This sounds really cool, but hopefully they will follow all of the environmental regulations that other states would have to follow in order to get Department of the Interior approval.

I hope they stick an oil drill right directly in the middle of each one of these giant fans.

Maybe they can use the electricity generated by the fans to power the drills and the rescue efforts when they blow up.

I fixed it for you.

I hope they stick an oil drill right directly in the middle of each one of these giant fans.

Maybe they can use the electricity generated by the fans to power the drills.

It is quite clear that you did not read the link provided.

I'm really surprised no one has started talking about this project, especially after the major oil spill that occurred near Louisana.

Link

This is exciting. We need a real Glen McCarthy to jump in here and wildcat the wind! Where's, "Silver Dollar" Jim West when Texas needs him???

I was fascinated to learn Texas leads the Nation in producing wind power.... I guess that makes Texas the tree-hugging, hippy liberal of the wind power producing states... lol. :D

Texas kills the competition in this. Had the state legislature not dropped the ball last summer, we'd be so far ahead we'd have no rivals anywhere in the world.

Although they passed a resolution that stated we wanted to be number one, so it's all good. Why incentivize being number one when we can simply say we want to be the best?

Saying you want to be the best matters, right?

If by "read", you meant "skipped entirely", then this time you'd be wrong.

Skipped enough to miss this little tidbit...

The two hurdles Texas wind developers do face are acquiring financing and a permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which has jurisdiction because of navigation issues. Coastal Point Energy has both for the single 2-megawatt turbine it plans to erect this summer, which would supply power to an oil and gas platform offshore.

I was on the way to surfside beach, and saw a huge area by the Port of Freeport, where they had large stores of parts for the wind turbines. I asked a truck driver at the Buccees close by, and he stated that some of them are going inland, however some, he was told, are for the Texas, Gulf Coast wind farms....

...which would supply power to an oil and gas platform offshore. ( BTW: I read the article !! )

LTAWACS: UGHH!!

Archived