Will Houston Ever Get A Supertall Again?

marc

I agree with the location, but I wonder if any supertalls will ever be built in Houston. There's not much of that type of construction in the US outside of New York and Comcast in Philadelphia, is there? Maybe the economics don't really work.

There's also San Francisco and LA that have supertalls under construction, and Miami, Seattle, and Dallas have some proposed. There seems to be a lot of interest in them, and with our rumor mill running hot with whispers of 60+ story buildings I wouldn't be surprised if we got a supertall soon.

• Like 2

There's also San Francisco and LA that have supertalls under construction, and Miami, Seattle, and Dallas have some proposed. There seems to be a lot of interest in them, and with our rumor mill running hot with whispers of 60+ story buildings I wouldn't be surprised if we got a supertall soon.

What supertalls are proposed in Miami, Seattle and Dallas?

• Like 2

Miami | One Brickell CityCentre | 1102 Ft

Seattle | 820 2nd Ave | 1300-1400 Ft

Chicago has a couple supertalls proposed as well.  Regarding Dallas, I suppose it would be the proposed "landmark tower" to be build by Ross Perot Jr. sometime in the future.  This one bothers me the most.

Because we have no reason to stop building, there's also no reason to not build supertalls.  I'm patiently waiting to hear about all the mixed-use and condo high-rises in the pipeline for Uptown and Downtown.  I hope a supertall or two is included in the mix.

Edited by democide
  • Like 3

Regarding Dallas, I suppose it would be the proposed "landmark tower" to be build by Ross Perot Jr. sometime in the future.  This one bothers me the most.

Because we have no reason to stop building, there's also no reason to not build supertalls.  I'm patiently waiting to hear about all the mixed-use and condo high-rises in the pipeline for Uptown and Downtown.  I hope a supertall or two is included in the mix.

Regarding Dallas, Ross Perot Jr. has made no proposal whatsoever for that property, let alone a supertall.  Again, there are no supertalls proposed in Dallas.

Mostly agree with your final two sentences.  I'd love to see a mixed-use supertall in downtown (not so much uptown).

Regarding Dallas, Ross Perot Jr. has made no proposal whatsoever for that property, let alone a supertall.  Again, there are no supertalls proposed in Dallas.

Mostly agree with your final two sentences.  I'd love to see a mixed-use supertall in downtown (not so much uptown).

Notice how HInes chooses locations along the Main St. rail line for both its 811 & 609 Main buildings; surely they're an affirmation for rail as a transit option for the workforce.  The recent momentum for both residential development and expansion of Metro's rail lines must help the chances for additional highrise construction downtown.  Unlike NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc., for a city with few topographic obstacles to inhibit high-density office areas it's already remarkable for downtown Houston to have the skyline that it does.  In lieu of earthly features, it's vehicle traffic and severely inadequate mass transit that's increasingly burdening the potential for companies to build/locate/expand downtown.  The faster the metropolitan area implements a robust rail network (including commuter rail connecting the burbs), the more barriers might be eliminated for corporate and residential desire to be in the city center.

• Like 2

Besides lots along the rail lines being prime locations for building in downtown, access to the tunnels/skywalks is just as important, maybe even more so. If we do get a supertall, I don't see it being built at a location that does not have access to the tunnel/skywalk system.

• 3 weeks later...

Notice how HInes chooses locations along the Main St. rail line for both its 811 & 609 Main buildings; surely they're an affirmation for rail as a transit option for the workforce.  The recent momentum for both residential development and expansion of Metro's rail lines must help the chances for additional highrise construction downtown.  Unlike NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc., for a city with few topographic obstacles to inhibit high-density office areas it's already remarkable for downtown Houston to have the skyline that it does.  In lieu of earthly features, it's vehicle traffic and severely inadequate mass transit that's increasingly burdening the potential for companies to build/locate/expand downtown.  The faster the metropolitan area implements a robust rail network (including commuter rail connecting the burbs), the more barriers might be eliminated for corporate and residential desire to be in the city center.

if this is indeed a driving factor, the east/west lines will contribute to the downtown skyline in that direction as well.  currently, we feel like two different cities; one city (downtown/med center) has rail, the other city (uptown/greenway plaza) does not. ("tales of rail for two cities"?)

• 1 month later...

Developer wants to put up 4 towers (including presumably 2 supertalls) in Dallas. There's nothing to kickstart development down here like a case of Dallas envy.

We're already building so much, but yes, I welcome this added incentive to build a lot more.  2015 should be another good year for Houston, and I hope a supertall is in the plans.

• Like 1

http://m.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2014/10/24/exclusive-turkish-developer-to-buy-land-near.html

Developer wants to put up 4 towers (including presumably 2 supertalls) in Dallas. There's nothing to kickstart development down here like a case of Dallas envy.

I hope the Dallas towers get built, at least one of them.

There are a lot of rumored super talls in different parts of Houston, hopefully they happen. I would like to see another suppertall in the Galleria area. I take that back, I would rather see one in downtown (really both). Uptown just needs to keep adding density for now.

• Like 2

A supertall would make a striking change to either city's skyline, but there isn't really much need (Houston could probably justify before Dallas)

If one does get built, it  would likely be considerably driven by ego/image - could happen anywhere, which makes the watch for one interesting!

In the meantime, I think I prefer the lower profile infill that is increasing overall density

• Like 1

7200 Main would be a nifty site for businesses that could spawn off from the TMC as part of the idea to turn the TMC into an incubator for medical and biotech startups. Unfortunately, the demand for such office space does not appear to be there right now. 

Where were the reports of a 65-story tower designed by Gensler? I have not previously heard of that.

And what ever happened to someone saying gensler was working on a 65 story for downtown?

Unfortunately I haven't run into anyone wearing a Gensler shirt and bombarded them with questions since then. I wasn't trying to say it was a certainty, just that one of my questions was if they had been working on anything big height-wise, and they said they were working on a potential 65 story tower for a confidential client in downtown. This was about 6 months ago, so who knows what the status is now. It might be dead, or it might be more real then the proposed multi-tower development in downtown Dallas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I was definitely part of the supertall clan for years. But, I must admit, I am enjoying seeing the infill in all corridors of HTown. If a 1000 plus footer was announced, of course I would be frothing at the mouth, but I am content with 40/60 storey towers with distinct design merit being built at this time. The older I get, the more I lean toward iconic over height. :)

• Like 3

Growing up, my generation was promised many things. I most look forward to hover cars ( magnetic or otherwise) and a livable Earthlike planet discovery. I have since added one more bucket list of destiny. I want to see a 90 storey tower in Houston. Completed. Not imagined, not a proposal. But a bona fide 90 storey tower erected in either DT or UT. That's my dream. I am 46 this year. I still have hope. ;)

• Like 5

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

When was the last "supertall" greenlit in Houston, anyway? I wonder if September 11 didn't put a damper on a lot of peoples' enthusiasm for supertalls. Not that I think everyone thinks that planes flying into them is now more than an astronomical risk, but seeing quite graphically how difficult it is to rescue people high up in one of those towers if any kind of emergency occurs. But even before then, I've avoided working or staying in high floors of tall buildings on a regular basis (watched Towering Inferno on the Channel 13 Million Dollar Movie a few too many times as a kid), so that may just be my thing, and plenty of supertall buildings could have been built since then.

I have no stance one way or another on whether a supertall building should be built in Houston, but I do wonder why a passing observer would have much stake in wanting to see one built. Maybe it's a Freudian thing.

I kid, I kid.

Edited by Reefmonkey

• The title was changed to Will Houston Ever Get A Supertall Again?
  • 1 year later...

I think the common "Western Wall" shot from Buffalo Bayou Park/Elanor Tinsley is actually the weakest angle regarding Houston's skyline. You have all the non-descript 80s buildings all in one front: the issue is that they are big and beefy enough to hide the true skyline density contributed by the many shorter buildings, while also being so massive that it would be hard for a new tower to stand out (even if it were a super tall). The result is that it makes the skyline look so spaced-out/low density.

The southerly and easterly views are better in that they show more of the building density. But some filling out is what is needed to make those views better.

For now, I much prefer view with a northerly component, especially northeasterly like the one below. Captures the true building density, a good amount of the ornate older buildings, while also having clear views of the modern additions. A supertall would show up nicely.
spacer.png

• Like 2