The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

The CVS at 11th and Yale and the old HEB on 11th that backs up to Allston will both soon be standing empty, with signs outside begging someone to lease (specifically lease, not buy) the property.

Any ideas/ rumors/ information on what could or is coming to these locales.

For that matter, what kind of business could operate in either of these spaces without a major overhaul of the construction? Maybe I'm short on imagination, and I don't know what lease terms are being offered, but I just don't see what else would work with either of those structures, essentially as they are.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

I've been lurking around this board for awhile, but first time that I've commented. I called the listing agent to see what the O'keefe & Merrit might go for. She said $900+ for the stove and $500 for the refrigerator. Those are ridiculous prices for appliances that aren't in refurbished or restored condition. For those who might not know, the fridge is a Philco, which was manufactured by the Philco Company out of, you guessed it, Philidelphia. I managed to snag an O&M for $100 out of Conroe, and a Philco almost identical to the one in the picture for FREE! My only immediate expense for the fridge is that I have to get it shipped out of Detroit, MI. I found it on craigslist.org(this has got to be one of the best sites online). If anyone stumbles across 50's era appliances that they want to part for with for cheap, let me know(vtran265@houston.rr.com). Here's a link to my seafoam green Philco that is currently in my kitchen:

BTW, I'm in Timbergrove and they are building 40 new homes in an extremely small area over here at Prince and 12th. They really went to town on it today digging up all of the sewer lines and etc. I saw the plans for the homes and they are F*gly. Their web address is khovurban.com

Apologies in advance for changing the subject matter.

Cheers,

Victor

Victor,

Welcome to the site and neighborhood. I hijacked your entry and put it here because I wanted to comment.

I have been keeping an eye on this as well, and usually I rail against a lot of this type of stuff, but in this case the development is a few steps above what was there. Before, it was light industrial, and it was a pretty junky lot at that. Anything would have been better. BTW, I think the development would be considered more Shady Acres than Timbergrove. Timbergrove would never allow something like this to be built, Shady Acres has no such deed restrictions.

I am just amazed at the overall pace of construction in the area. Shady Acres has got to have the highest amount of new residential construction activity currently going on inside the loop. Has anyone else taken a drive around the area lately?

The funnest drive is to go down 14th street on the block that dead ends into the baseball field on TC Jester. Some garishly large houses for the area have been built that would look more at home in Bellaire than Shady Acres. Also, a few recently cleared large plats near 18th and Beall, and one very large plat on 15th 1/2 street just past Beall that used to be an old mobile home park. Looks like everyone was kicked out in March and the owners took a dozer to the entire site. I'm sure something big and Perry will be going in there.

Hi All,

Meyer and Smith was the iron fence company that used to be where they are building the so called 'Park on Prince'. I agree most things would be a huge improvement over the gritty industrial complex that churned out so many fences.

I am good friends with the deed restriction enforcer in Timbergrove and we both think the new development is still a plus for our neighborhood. For one, it should improve the property value for Timbergrove, since prospective buyers will see that our lots are fairly big and hopefully will remain so. There are some recent buyers in Timbergrove who have bought adjacent lots. One for the house and the other for a huge backyard.

Back on topic, I was hoping for some homes in the style of shotgun houses with nice ironwork and patios. There is a company by the name of Creole Construction that has built homes around 18th - 20th st near the intersection of Lawrence that have done some very nice looking homes. I also like them because they feature a back alley for cars to get to the garage.

The developer looks like they are just ready to churn and burn to recoup their investment as quickly as possible. Hopefully, these homes won't have the problems that plagued the Perry homes featured in a Houston Press story.

Cheers,

Victor

BTW, one of my best friends lives literally right next door to the development. She won't be getting to sleep in anytime soon.

Victor,

Welcome to the site and neighborhood. I hijacked your entry and put it here because I wanted to comment.

I have been keeping an eye on this as well, and usually I rail against a lot of this type of stuff, but in this case the development is a few steps above what was there. Before, it was light industrial, and it was a pretty junky lot at that. Anything would have been better. BTW, I think the development would be considered more Shady Acres than Timbergrove. Timbergrove would never allow something like this to be built, Shady Acres has no such deed restrictions.

I am just amazed at the overall pace of construction in the area. Shady Acres has got to have the highest amount of new residential construction activity currently going on inside the loop. Has anyone else taken a drive around the area lately?

The funnest drive is to go down 14th street on the block that dead ends into the baseball field on TC Jester. Some garishly large houses for the area have been built that would look more at home in Bellaire than Shady Acres. Also, a few recently cleared large plats near 18th and Beall, and one very large plat on 15th 1/2 street just past Beall that used to be an old mobile home park. Looks like everyone was kicked out in March and the owners took a dozer to the entire site. I'm sure something big and Perry will be going in there.

HeightsGuy,

I usually walk my dog past the big*ss home on 14th st.(you know the mint green one). I was told by one of the long time residents next door that a couple and their three kids live there. That whole street BTW is in the flood plain, although most of the new construction there is built on a 4-6 foot foundation. The houses just loom over you. I would have to say this is one of the most private streets I have been on around the Heights/Timbergrove/Pine something area.

Victor

Not sure I understand your question, RedScare. Stone veneer had no influence one way or another. I like the above house because of the design, especially given the fact that all the houses from bayou to bayou flooded. The single room on the ground floor is like an enclosed porch, and little damage would result from another flood.

I also like the house because the original owners of the property were best friends of my family, and the wife was my godmother. Another feature is the drainage ravine in the back yard and easement, and the original place was terraced. It has great possibilities.

H2B

I just noted the stone on that house was reminiscent of many hill country designs I've seen, and thought that may have been a reason it caught your eye.

It is attractive, though. I certainly like the stone better than the obligatory red brick that goes on most new construction.

My main reason for moving to Bastrop was to get away from Houston and to be in a more laid-back surrounding. I absolutely love it there. I should be finished with this job here in Houston in a few days, then I will be in Bastrop permanently.

The CVS at 11th and Yale and the old HEB on 11th that backs up to Allston will both soon be standing empty, with signs outside begging someone to lease (specifically lease, not buy) the property.

Any ideas/ rumors/ information on what could or is coming to these locales.

For that matter, what kind of business could operate in either of these spaces without a major overhaul of the construction? Maybe I'm short on imagination, and I don't know what lease terms are being offered, but I just don't see what else would work with either of those structures, essentially as they are.

Guest danax
I personaly think a Whole Foods type of market would kill in the old HEB space.  Can someone hook that up?

That intersection is kind of on the edge between Whole Foods types and Food Town types so they might want to choose a more central location for a new store. Maybe that's why we haven't seen any new Whole Foods east of the Kirby store, that is, because all of the potential customers are in areas that are pockets of various sizes and the existing stores seem to be surrounded by potential shoppers.

That building is cool though. Anyone know if it is an actual Art Deco era or a repro? I would be shocked (well, no, I wouldn't actually) if someone knocks it down.

The site plan for the development is now online:

park on prince

Not to discount all the negatives I may feel about this type of development, I will give them credit for making them free standing, and at least presenting a token effort to make them fit architecturally into the greater Heights.

Another plus is the use of one exterior material for the entire house. There is nothing I hate worse than to see new residential with a front facade of "name your material" and sides and back clad with a different material, example would be stucco front made to look Italian with wood siding on the sides and back. Ugh!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed all the used car lots along Shepherd/Durham that have closed over the past number of months? Do you think it's just a cycle or is there a real demographic shift going on? It seems to be more prevalent the farther south you go from the loop.

I believe that, like Washington Ave, land prices are going up, while to a lesser degree, the number of customers is declining. The dealers can make a lot of money selling these lots to home builders or shopping center builders, so now is a good time to sell. They will take their real estate profits and move to another low to middle class neighborhood and start anew.

Archived