Toddle House Restaurant No. 3 At 2802 S. Shepherd Dr.

morpheus

My sister informed me that the little "Toddle House" on Shepherd and Harold was finally torn down. It had been a Chinese place for some years, but in the 50's/60's it was my favorite hamburger place, only a half block from our house.

Masterburger, hash browns and a cold Dr.Pepper. Less than a dollar. Mmmmmm...

My sister informed me that the little "Toddle House" on Shepherd and Harold was finally torn down. It had been a Chinese place for some years, but in the 50's/60's it was my favorite hamburger place, only a half block from our house.

Masterburger, hash browns and a cold Dr.Pepper. Less than a dollar. Mmmmmm...

There was a "Toddle Inn" restuarant in Brownsville that looks very similar. It's located on Central Blvd. just north of Boca Chica. I used to eat breakfast there on Saturday mornings. "Choriso and Eggs" was my favorite. There may have been chain of these.

There was a place called the "Toddle House" in the new(er) strip center on the SW corner of Richmond and Dunvale. They weren't very successful and closed in less than a year. They re-opened recently with the "Toddle" removed from the sign. They are now just the "House" restaurant.

In the mid 70s there was the Kopper Kettle cafeteria on Harrisburg - and by that time the old Chicken N Egg Roll (RIP) was a Mi-T Bite.

Fwiw for other stores and restaurants in the area from that time period, there was a place called Carol's Kitchen across Shepherd (where Starbucks is), a Valians at the current Pappas Seafood, and Jimmie Green Chevrolet on the southeast corner of S Shepherd and Westheimer..

Toddle House, Steak 'n Egg and Dobb's House were all, eventually at least, under the same ownership; Toddle House was the earliest and one of the first chain restaurants. There's a lot of love for them on Roadfood.com in an old, long running thread. Here's a brief history.

Dutch Kettle was essentially a knock-off and I think may have been based here. I never saw a Dutch Kettle anywhere but in the Houston area. Up until just a few years ago there was still a Dutch Kettle on 225 in Pasadena.

Dobb's House was a more upscale brand. Wasn't the original revolving restaurant at IAH a Dobb's House?

In the late 70s, early 80s, they tried to revive the TH brand with new, larger restaurants of which there were at least three in Houston but they only lasted a couple of years. The Tacos La Balita on Beechnut @ Wilcrest was originally one of them; D'African Village on S. Gessner was another; there was one on Main in Stafford that's already been demolished and replaced by either the JitB or Church's, I forget which. Part of the charm of Toddle House for me, besides pretty good food for a small diner, was sitting at the counter, interacting with the short order cook who was often the only crew. That was lost in the larger restaurants. I loved the MasterBurgers and waffles and chocolate fudge pies.

I didn't know until I read the Wiki article that Waffle House is essentially a continuation of Toddle House.

I remembered when the one on Shepherd was My-T-Byte (that's the spelling I remember). Sliders - way before they became trendy, celebrity chef offerings.

• Like 1

Toddle House, Steak 'n Egg and Dobb's House were all, eventually at least, under the same ownership; Toddle House was the earliest and one of the first chain restaurants. There's a lot of love for them on Roadfood.com in an old, long running thread. Here's a brief history.

Dutch Kettle was essentially a knock-off and I think may have been based here. I never saw a Dutch Kettle anywhere but in the Houston area. Up until just a few years ago there was still a Dutch Kettle on 225 in Pasadena.

Dobb's House was a more upscale brand. Wasn't the original revolving restaurant at IAH a Dobb's House?

In the late 70s, early 80s, they tried to revive the TH brand with new, larger restaurants of which there were at least three in Houston but they only lasted a couple of years. The Tacos La Balita on Beechnut @ Wilcrest was originally one of them; D'African Village on S. Gessner was another; there was one on Main in Stafford that's already been demolished and replaced by either the JitB or Church's, I forget which. Part of the charm of Toddle House for me, besides pretty good food for a small diner, was sitting at the counter, interacting with the short order cook who was often the only crew. That was lost in the larger restaurants. I loved the MasterBurgers and waffles and chocolate fudge pies.

I didn't know until I read the Wiki article that Waffle House is essentially a continuation of Toddle House.

I remembered when the one on Shepherd was My-T-Byte (that's the spelling I remember). Sliders - way before they became trendy, celebrity chef offerings.

The Dutch Kettle in Galveston is still open, 24hrs it says. (35th & Seawall)

Another Toddle House was on W 11th at Durham behind Kroger. It eventually became, and may still be a Papa John's. I used to eat there on my way to my weekend warrior meetings with the Submarine Reserves before I went on active duty, so that was between '67-'69.

In the mid 70s there was the Kopper Kettle cafeteria on Harrisburg - and by that time the old Chicken N Egg Roll (RIP) was a Mi-T Bite.

Fwiw for other stores and restaurants in the area from that time period, there was a place called Carol's Kitchen across Shepherd (where Starbucks is), a Valians at the current Pappas Seafood, and Jimmie Green Chevrolet on the southeast corner of S Shepherd and Westheimer..

Never went to Carols' Kitchen, but I got a Valians pizza every Friday night, took it home and then watched Star Trek or something. Also frequented the Coney Island about a half block up, which was across from my favorite record store, the Record Rack, run by a very nice couple whose names I long forgot.

Speaking of records, does anyone possibly remember a quirky and tiny older lady who sold records out of her home, about a half block up West Alabama, from Valians.

Toddle Houses in 1973. Thought there would have been more than that at that time, but this is all I found in the directory.

701 Elgin

4321 Montrose

3330 Richmond

9101 Main

At the same time, there were the following Dobb's Houses:

2800 Terminal Rd - A & B

3515 Westheimer

4908 San Felipe

4802 Richmond

8611 Memorial Dr

4331 Old Spanish Trail

2319 W Holcombe

7895 Hillcroft

4005 N Braeswood

7905 Long Point

Edited by roym

There was a Dobb's House on the corner of Memorial and Post Oak Lane back in the 60's. I remember my father telling me about a time that he stopped in there one evening on his way home from a union meeting. He said there were some jerks in there giving the clerks and customers a hard time. My father said he contemplated shoving one of the guys through the plate glass window and then taking on the other two with help from the other male customers. Luckily the trouble makers left without an incedent.

I asked my dad later if he was scared. He told me that he was sure he could take the first guy out, but his ultimate plan realied on others coming to his assistance. That uncertainty is what scared him.

Dad's were big hero's to us kids back in those days.

• 1 month later...

yes, that brings back memories of sitting at the counter and watching them prepare the food; i remember at either toddle house or dobbs, they cooked the hashbrowns in a circular metal ring; right next to the burgers and eggs being cooked, and close to the waffle maker with the batter oozing out of it.

am recalling now about one's a meal restaurants and the 50s pre franchise burger places; gonna go search the

haif threads for those.

• 7 years later...
On 2/17/2010 at 11:04 PM, rreini said:

Going further afield, there used to be a Toddle House in League City on West Main (FM 518) just west of Hobbs Road (and thus west of the freeway). It's been a Waffle House for several years now.

It was either torn down or completely gutted now. :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2010 at 4:37 PM, brucesw said:

there was one on Main in Stafford that's already been demolished and replaced by either the JitB or Church's, I forget which.

While I wasn't around during the entire life of this particular restaurant, I do know that it wasn't demolished for either structure. Both were around during it's later years of operation. Passed through that part of the area a bunch when I was a kid in the 90s for doctor's appointments and scout stuff. I think it finally met it's end near the time that they rebuilt 90 at the intersection with Murphy Road. The connector/turning lane between North & South Main runs around the west side of the site of the old restaurant.

3 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

While I wasn't around during the entire life of this particular restaurant, I do know that it wasn't demolished for either structure. Both were around during it's later years of operation. Passed through that part of the area a bunch when I was a kid in the 90s for doctor's appointments and scout stuff. I think it finally met it's end near the time that they rebuilt 90 at the intersection with Murphy Road. The connector/turning lane between North & South Main runs around the west side of the site of the old restaurant.

Actually, it was torn down a little earlier than that. The 2002 aerial shows a gas station at the eastern side of Murphy Road between Main Street, with Toddle House next to it, then Stafford Ice House, then JITB. In 2003, the gas station and Toddle House were torn down for a new building with a new parking lot but that didn't last long whatever it was by 2005 it was history. It's unknown if Toddle House would've survived construction, as the parking lot does get clipped but the building might've been okay. The sign survived, though, and it's blank today.

(Double post because the quoting system is too hard to work with properly anymore)

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the necropost, but I was reading an article today about old fashioned hamburger joints, and it got me to thinking about the Toddle House on Shepherd in Montrose. My 50-year-old memory of this place was a little metal diner that looked basically like an old Airstream RV. I suppose it could have been a tiny building, but that's not my memory. I don't remember any tables; certainly I always sat at the counter right across from the griddle. Their hamburgers were what we would now call sliders, but I didn't know that term until decades later. They would grill the onions on the griddle and then mash the balls of ground beef into them. When the little burgers were done, they went on square dinner rolls still stuck together - 2 or 3 to an order.

Does this match anyone else's memory, or is it something from a sweet dream from long ago?

Thanks

Sounds like you have mixed up a couple of real places and something else.  I think the Toddle House architecture was pretty set for years, kind of like a small cottage, white brick with blue (or blue-green or green) roof.  I don't ever remember one with no booths but the booths in the original ones may have been only 2-tops.  But the sliders part of your memory has to be My-T-Bite, mentioned in several posts above (and on other threads here on HAIF) which replaced TH at that location in the TH building.

Also along there that has not been mentioned above was a Someburger, green metal building with yellow trim, looking not unlike a shipping container, with no indoor seating at all, just a 1950s style walk-up to the window burger shack.  That was a chain started in Austin by a couple of UT students in the 50s that was spread through out SE Texas.  The two remaining ones include the one on 11th @ Studemont, which looks exactly like the one that was on Shepherd until the early 80s or so, and downtown Baytown which has an indoor dining room and looks more like a Denny's. 

Nothing like an AirStream but maybe that's the metal building you're remembering.  I think that was on the next corner down from TH.

To see an older Toddle House like the one that was on Shepherd look up the Original Kolache Shop on Telephone Rd. 

• The title was changed to Toddle House Restaurant No. 3 At 2802 S. Shepherd Dr.