JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a shot of the cladding removed from a strip of the facade. It looked to me like it must have been held on by a thick black adhesive (tar, maybe) that pretty well entirely covered the brick underneath.

2v8hd34.jpg

Thanks for the photo. I've seen that one exposed strip there for quite some time, did you see any construction workers at the site? Hopefully they are moving forward now.

Thanks for the photo. I've seen that one exposed strip there for quite some time, did you see any construction workers at the site? Hopefully they are moving forward now.

I didn't see anyone working on the exterior, but I didn't look to closely for signs of anyone coming in/out of the lobby. I was across the street when I walked by.

• 1 month later...

I was in Fort Worth on business for several days last month, and stayed at the downtown Embassy Suites owned by Pearl Real Estate. My business partner had a chance to talk to the general manager, who said that Pearl is currently in negotiations with Marriott for a franchise on the 806 Main property (he did not say which iteration of the Marriott chain it would be).

Based on my experience at their Embassy Suites, it would be a boon to downtown Houston to have a Pearl-managed hotel here. The level of service was outstanding. Every single staff member, from the managers to the maids, were super-cordial and responsive. More often than not, when we would leave for the day or come back in the evening, we were greeted by name by a staff member manning the lobby. It was the type of service one would expect at a Four Seasons, or a high-priced boutique hotel.

As for the hotel itself, it was very comfortable and well thought out, especially for business travelers. Like 806 Main, it's a renovation of an older building on one-half a city block in the middle of downtown F.W., so it differs from the "suburban" style of all the other Embassy Suites where I have stayed. . .no large glassed-in central atrium, for example. Instead, the breakfast/reception area, fitness center, business center, and conference center were located upstairs in their own dedicated wing -- away from the guest rooms, but still convenient to them. And even though it's a an older building, it didn't have the drawbacks one might associate with a "historic" hotel: the plumbing worked great, plenty of electrical outlets, excellent internet connectivity, no drafty windows.

I really hope the Pearl folks can pull it off. From my experience, they know what they're doing when it comes to developing and running hotels. It would be great to see what they could do with 806 Main.

I was in Fort Worth on business for several days last month, and stayed at the downtown Embassy Suites owned by Pearl Real Estate. My business partner had a chance to talk to the general manager, who said that Pearl is currently in negotiations with Marriott for a franchise on the 806 Main property (he did not say which iteration of the Marriott chain it would be).

Based on my experience at their Embassy Suites, it would be a boon to downtown Houston to have a Pearl-managed hotel here. The level of service was outstanding. Every single staff member, from the managers to the maids, were super-cordial and responsive. More often than not, when we would leave for the day or come back in the evening, we were greeted by name by a staff member manning the lobby. It was the type of service one would expect at a Four Seasons, or a high-priced boutique hotel.

As for the hotel itself, it was very comfortable and well thought out, especially for business travelers. Like 806 Main, it's a renovation of an older building on one-half a city block in the middle of downtown F.W., so it differs from the "suburban" style of all the other Embassy Suites where I have stayed. . .no large glassed-in central atrium, for example. Instead, the breakfast/reception area, fitness center, business center, and conference center were located upstairs in their own dedicated wing -- away from the guest rooms, but still convenient to them. And even though it's a an older building, it didn't have the drawbacks one might associate with a "historic" hotel: the plumbing worked great, plenty of electrical outlets, excellent internet connectivity, no drafty windows.

I really hope the Pearl folks can pull it off. From my experience, they know what they're doing when it comes to developing and running hotels. It would be great to see what they could do with 806 Main.

Very interesting and good news. I'm very curious as to what Marriott badge they might be considering. We already have Embassy Suites, Courtyard and Residence Inn downtown. Seems highly unlikely we would get a second of any of those. The property is likely too small for a Marriott, JW Marriott, or Marriott Marquis. That leaves Ritz Carlton, Renaissance, Fairfield, Springhill and TownePlace, and, more intriguing, the Autograph Collection and EDITION badges. Several exciting possibilities.

I pass this building daily and haven't seen anything going on. They removed 1 small strip, then stopped. It looks to be in such bad shape - I would be shocked if it were turned into a hotel. I wish that were the case, because it was once a beautiful building, but it looks baaaaad. Also, there is a small narrow old building next to it. It's closed off to the public, and when you walk in front of the old doors, the smell would knock you over. Anyone know what that once was?

I pass this building daily and haven't seen anything going on. They removed 1 small strip, then stopped. It looks to be in such bad shape - I would be shocked if it were turned into a hotel. I wish that were the case, because it was once a beautiful building, but it looks baaaaad. Also, there is a small narrow old building next to it. It's closed off to the public, and when you walk in front of the old doors, the smell would knock you over. Anyone know what that once was?

Department store, I think (Battlestein's, maybe?) and then offices.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting. In the tunnels, there was once a staircase that went in to this building, I'm guessing that once they closed it up, they must have walled over the stairwell/elevator area down there, because I can't even tell where it used to be at this point, but a hotel could certainly make good use of the connection.

Hope it works out.

I was in Miami a few months ago and we stayed at a Kimpton. The guy working the front desk, upon seeing my license, said they were opening a downtown Houston hotel in the near future to join the one in Dallas already open.

It's been rumored that this is the location. I hope it's true because the Kimpton brand is top notch. I've stayed in Kimptons in NY, LA, and Miami and all were very well run, fun, quasi-hip places.

• Like 1