Houston19514

I doubt this...my mother worked for Exxon then 'ExxonMobil' (the old timers refused to call it that) for 30 years and always talked about how 'frugal' (i.e., cheap) the company was :).

That's been my experience with Exxon also. Of course I work in downstream, upstream is much more spendy. Our CEO once sent an email to all the IT staff when an IT guy offered to give him a new computer. He was angry that an IT guy would offer to give someone a new piece of equipment that would cost the company money. 

• Like 1

I found out some 'disturbing' information about this project. One of the CEO's of the company paid between $375,000 and $500,000 to have a 40 inch diameter tree moved on the property and have it replanted next to his window. The person, a contractor/friend, told me that and I can assure you, he is in the know...

If that is true, shame on them. They make a huge stink about their profits tanking with oil prices but they have money for this.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like an awful place to work. I can't imagine the heat generated between those buildings, along with trying to make it to a meeting on time (run across the campus vs hopping on an elevator and pushing a button). I see lots of nearby places to eat... um well I guess cafeteria food.

• Like 3

Despite the greenery and abundance of trees, it seems cold and baren of life.

The buildings look already +40 years old, and not in the same way we appreciate some structures from that time. The hovering glass box is cool, but the campus overall looks like it belongs on the Siberian tundra (or a propaganda city along the northern border of the DMZ).

It makes sense as their Baytown operations belong in a fall out or Chernobyl game.

I would have preferred a 90's/00's fusion campus, even mocking the stuff going up on the waterway. Atleast we could have expected that.

• Like 3

Yikes! While the "floating cube" concept is cool, it had already been done long ago similarly in Plano's EDS Campus.  It's too bad they didn't stay downtown (building an urban campus instead) because that seems to be the nexus of where everything is "happening" today.  Sorry but their old downtown building has more character and personality than this suburban monstrosity ever will.  

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Not trying to kick a dead horse - but in Chicago companies are abandoning their suburban campuses fast as they can and they are moving Downtown. They can't get the young talent they need on a yearly basis or find themselves constantly losing top talent to companies headquartered in CBD or in the City.

Wonder if Exxon will regret the move North?

What could have been?

I do like that photo though.

Not trying to kick a dead horse - but in Chicago companies are abandoning their suburban campuses fast as they can and they are moving Downtown. They can't get the young talent they need on a yearly basis or find themselves constantly losing top talent to companies headquartered in CBD or in the City.

What could have been?

I think they will suffer for this. This is why chevron will be downtown. OK - so a suburban campus is good if it's paired with an urban HQ. This is how chevron will do it. Exxons campus in Irving will be pressured to move downtown at some point, in my opinion. Their campus in Spring is too nice to abandon for a LONG time. So, I think we will see Irving move to a downtown, hopefully Houston in an epic move of irony :).

Downtown HQ are important for young talent.

• Like 2

What could have been?

Can you name 5 companies that have abandoned suburban Chicago campuses and moved downtown?

• Like 1

I've worked in downtown, the galleria and the burbs. Downtown is easily #1, followed by the galleria then the burbs. I'm working in Westchase now and I would take a pay cut to get back to downtown. You can ride mass transit from almost anywhere in the area to downtown. I took advantage of not needing a daily driver to buy a Ferrari. Now that I work in Westchase I no longer have that advantage. I've also been involved in 2 companies that considered moves to the burbs, one from downtown and the other from the galleria. Both times the employees voted to stay rather than move to the burbs.

• Like 2

Very interesting piece here -- http://www.chicagobusiness.com/section/hq-- that explains the Chicago moves. Very minor mention of the "young talent" factor.

Interesting indeed. And almost entirely about companies moving from smaller cities to Chicago.  Very little about companies moving from the suburbs to downtown Chicago.

• Like 1

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-which-companies-moved-from-the-suburbs-to-the-city-interactive-map-20150716-htmlstory.html

Commercial real estate services firm CBRE tallies more than 3.4 million square feet of office space sucked up by large moves of companies relocating to the city, those that encompass more than 10,000 square feet. Forty-five companies, including big-ticket employers like AT&T, Capitol One, Walgreens, Motorola and United, have relocated.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-which-companies-moved-from-the-suburbs-to-the-city-interactive-map-20150716-htmlstory.html

Commercial real estate services firm CBRE tallies more than 3.4 million square feet of office space sucked up by large moves of companies relocating to the city, those that encompass more than 10,000 square feet. Forty-five companies, including big-ticket employers like AT&T, Capitol One, Walgreens, Motorola and United, have relocated.

Cool info. Thanks.  (Oh, what I would give to have a newspaper of that quality serving Houston.)

Curious how many of those moves were subsidized by the City of Chicago.

What could have been?

ExxonMobil's peer group in terms of market cap, Google, Apple, Microsoft, all have large campuses outside of major cities. Doesn't seem to impede their access to talent. XOM also has a very strong, very distinct corporate culture, which having a campus like this can make easier to maintain/reinforce.

• Like 2

I don't mean to offend, but, boy I wish this floating cube straddled Main in Midtown.

^^^ no "offense" taken ellenolenska.  this particular edifice is drop dead gorgeous!  this development would become a much-heralded national urban tourist attraction should it be located within the SAN FELIPE / POST OAK / GALLERIA DISTRICT.  the wow factor alone.. would become an instant classic...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...