Which Houston Skyscrapers Have Observation Decks Open To The Public?

jb4647

Does JP Morgan Chase Tower still allow people to take pictures from their observation deck? Back in 2003 I was told that I couldn't take pictures because of 9/11. WTF? I used to go up there all the time back in the late 80's and take pictures.

I recently visited Williams Tower and was told their deck on the 51st floor closed after 9/11. That is sad.

Any other blds have decks?

Does JP Morgan Chase Tower still allow people to take pictures from their observation deck? Back in 2003 I was told that I couldn't take pictures because of 9/11. WTF? I used to go up there all the time back in the late 80's and take pictures.

I was up there a few months ago taking pictures. Nobody was even around to hassle me.

I was up there a few months ago taking pictures. Nobody was even around to hassle me.

There's a club on top of the Wedge Tower, 70+ floor. I went to a private party there, and the view is spectacular. If I'm not mistaken, it is open for cocktails in the evening, and they have some food items as well. The club is O.K., nothing fancy, but they have a deck outside that is uncovered, and totally like being on the roof. That was too scary for me to get close to the railing. We did sit out there though, and chill. Great night. Call the management office, and check it out.

On an historic note, my parents and I were invited for the opening of the observation deck way back when the Humble Building first opened. I believe it was the tallest building in Houston then. Have you been to the top of the San Jacinto Monument? The observation deck is so high, that even on a clear day, you can't really see too far due to the smog. You can walk all the way around the top, and get some great views though - uh, Loooong range lens suggested! Keep us posted.

There's a club on top of the Wedge Tower, 70+ floor. I went to a private party there, and the view is spectacular. If I'm not mistaken, it is open for cocktails in the evening, and they have some food items as well. The club is O.K., nothing fancy, but they have a deck outside that is uncovered, and totally like being on the roof. That was too scary for me to get close to the railing. We did sit out there though, and chill. Great night. Call the management office, and check it out.

Wedge Tower is only 43 stories, but yeah that's a good place to have a few drinks and take in the view. The food isn't great, though.

Another good place. Pool deck level atop the Hilton. Nobody is ever there and while you can't get in directly without a guest key, I've always been able to get in through this side kitchen space. It's not as high of course as your other options, but it's a great view of the rest of downtown since it's removed out on the perimeter.

• 6 years later...

Didn't get an answer in another thread so what's the answer to this now that Chase is out. Coworker told me Williams Tower but can't confirm that. Was only told you can go to the top of the Wells Fargo building if you go to the basement and dress appropriately (formal clothing).

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2016 at 4:24 PM, Triton said:

Didn't get an answer in another thread so what's the answer to this now that Chase is out. Coworker told me Williams Tower but can't confirm that. Was only told you can go to the top of the Wells Fargo building if you go to the basement and dress appropriately (formal clothing).

Williams/Transco closed after 9/11 and hasn't reopened to the public afaik. Can confirm Wells Fargo, I've done it several times. The elevators aren't manned by security, so as long as you're dressed business casual you can ride straight up from the Tunnel level to Mid Sky Lobby or Upper Sky Lobby. I haven't tried at Chase since the policy change.

6 hours ago, kylejack said:

Williams/Transco closed after 9/11 and hasn't reopened to the public afaik. Can confirm Wells Fargo, I've done it several times. The elevators aren't manned by security, so as long as you're dressed business casual you can ride straight up from the Tunnel level to Mid Sky Lobby or Upper Sky Lobby. I haven't tried at Chase since the policy change.

I've seen photos from inside the sky lobby with a small family or two since. 

6 hours ago, kylejack said:

I've been up in Williams Tower/Transco several times since 9/11.   It is smaller than it used to be.  They've converted most of what used to be observation area/sky lobby into leaseable office space.

20 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I've been up in Williams Tower/Transco several times since 9/11.   It is smaller than it used to be.  They've converted most of what used to be observation area/sky lobby into leaseable office space.

Did you have business that allowed you up there, or is it unprotected by nosy security guards?

On 10/19/2016 at 8:21 AM, kylejack said:

Looks like my department is going to be going there tomorrow during lunch. Is it clearly marked which floors are the sky lobby? Or is there a certain level I need to press?

48 minutes ago, Triton said:

Looks like my department is going to be going there tomorrow during lunch. Is it clearly marked which floors are the sky lobby? Or is there a certain level I need to press?

At Chase, floor 60. Williams Tower used to be 51. At Wells Fargo, it was 57/58. I think all of them are transfer points between upper and lower floors, so it is pretty obvious which floor you're looking for.

3 hours ago, The Pragmatist said:

At Chase, floor 60. Williams Tower used to be 51. At Wells Fargo, it was 57/58. I think all of them are transfer points between upper and lower floors, so it is pretty obvious which floor you're looking for.

Ah meant to say Wells Fargo. Thanks!! I'll try this out tomorrow.

• The title was changed to Which Houston Skyscrapers Have Observation Decks Open To The Public?

Archived