Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

I'm not a fan of the Roof at all. It got the LA type layout right, its just the crowd that sucks. A lot of people looking for fights. Plus its billed as a Rock and Roll bar, but I also heard some Jon Secada there once. Uh, something doesn't add up. The view on the Roof is awesome though, the main reason to go to say the least. Epic is basically in the corner of one of the Vietnamese shopping centers close to there. Nice interior, even though it looks like Ikea. Not a bad place, but that was just one time I went there. Also XO Lounge also opened up, I did like it there even if there weren't many people there yet. Very friendly staff and a cheap happy hour.

Thanks!

Hmmm The Roof sounds similar to Red Door (with the view and Jon Secada music) except I have never seen anyone that looked like they were "looking for a fight" at Red Door. =) Was it just a really young crowd at The Roof?

Last Friday we started out at Pub Fiction and I thought a bunch of the people in there looked really REALLY young. (It's not like I'm old or anything - I just turned 27)

Anyways, I'm happy there are more places to choose from....I was getting tired of the same ole places!

Looks like I need to get out more....I haven't seen XO Lounge or A38 yet either so I'll have to check 'em out.

Man, the tow trucks in MidTown have been getting everyone lately! They're like vultures....

MidtownAg02: Do you know where Escobar is on Travis? Epic is across the street in a strip center and The Roof is right around there too. A38 is on Louisiana....it used to be Licor Lounge. I haven't seen XO Lounge yet....yeah I know what you mean about not being able to keep up!

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto

Epic is nice, except for last saturday the bouncer started hammering for tips at 11:20, kinda early i think. The club was dead inside anyway.

Whiskey creek is nice, and 8 dolllars isnt cheap, but hey its not wild west. I think its the same owner/partner as Escobar.

Whenever we get tired of midtown/downtown we still go to uropa. its not as crowded anymore and the parking is easy. Too bad the dj sucks though. Same crappy set every week.

Epic is nice, except for last saturday the bouncer started hammering for tips at 11:20, kinda early i think.

Exactly why a don't go to these kind of clubs. I'll take Front Porch, Woodrow's, and Komodo with cute girls, good drinks, no lines, and no bouncers getting money for skipping the line.

re: new clubs...

man where the hell have I been? I've to the roof, but not epic, xo, or A38. looks like i have a scouting mission on hand

re: meathead bouncers

this is so old. has anyone had that problem at red door? I have never had that problem and I would argue that's one of the key factors in their staying power as a hip/trendy place that is not overly pretentious

Good drinks must be a matter of opinion. The drinks at the Front porch are weak.

What bothers me about front Porch is the prices sometimes. I understand getting a $4-$5 beer price on a Fri/ Sat, but I hate going on a Tuesday night and having no specials. And specials only on Bud Light once a week doesn't really count. Its like having a sale on bottled water.

What bothers me about front Porch is the prices sometimes. I understand getting a $4-$5 beer price on a Fri/ Sat, but I hate going on a Tuesday night and having no specials. And specials only on Bud Light once a week doesn't really count. Its like having a sale on bottled water.

Oh no i agree about inflated prices. I know Mercury room was charging 8-9 for a margarita. That is too much! 4 dollars for a beer is too much esp at a place like the Porch. there is no atmosphere there.

drey00: I have NEVER ever had a problem at Red Door either and I have been going there for years. The door guy is the sweetest!! I stopped by last Friday night thinking I'd end the night with an old favorite and I did notice a couple of different things:

!. It was definitley not as packed as it used to be. I remember when you literally could not move in that place.... I figured it was not as crowded though because of all the new places in the area

2. The crowd was really really different compared to any other time I had ever been

Red Door still has the best drinks....in my opinion. I can have 2 or 3 and be ass-canned!

XO Lounge doesn't look so much like it's in Midtown...

11403 Bellaire Blvd. Houston, TX 77072 is the address.

The guy who owns Esco does own Whiskey Creek, and has a share in many places around the area (even Kobain's off Washington)...

Roof Bar is cool - they do play a lot of old rock & alt. If you went to HS in the 90s, you'll definitely do some reminiscing and it's not the same old stuff you hear on the radio either. I thought it was a great crowd - even my friends that don't like *Midtown* bars all that much liked it there. The view is nice, if you can overlook all the crap that immediately surrounds it. The outside decor has nothing on Red Door.

Epic is typical Midtown... fancy people, fancy drinks, but I've never had any problems with the door guy. They do keep it WAAAAY too cold inside. Nice porch area though.

Pub Fiction is def a college crowd now. It is, after all, from the ex-owners of BAR Houston...

Red Door went downhill when Darren & his bartenders all left... It's a beautiful bar (my fave), but when the masses discovered it, it became the place for the surburbanites to hit for a "night out on the town"... I saw some soccer moms there the last time I went.

Edited by Htowngirl

Htowngirl: I know what you mean about Red Door....I have seen the soccer moms and last time I went there were a bunch of people there that looked like they just stepped off the set of a hip-hop video....I like all kinds of music, even hip-hop but it was just strange to see there.

The Light has pretty good drinks too but is kinda hit or miss (I guess like most places) depending on the night you go.

it's on San Jacinto about 1 block south of rich's.

Roof Bar is cool - they do play a lot of old rock & alt. If you went to HS in the 90s, you'll definitely do some reminiscing and it's not the same old stuff you hear on the radio either. I thought it was a great crowd - even my friends that don't like *Midtown* bars all that much liked it there. The view is nice, if you can overlook all the crap that immediately surrounds it. The outside decor has nothing on Red Door.

90's is old rock? ? ?

The guy who owns Esco does own Whiskey Creek, and has a share in many places around the area (even Kobain's off Washington)...

Epic is typical Midtown... fancy people, fancy drinks, but I've never had any problems with the door guy. They do keep it WAAAAY too cold inside. Nice porch area though.

Pub Fiction is def a college crowd now. It is, after all, from the ex-owners of BAR Houston...

Red Door went downhill when Darren & his bartenders all left... It's a beautiful bar (my fave), but when the masses discovered it, it became the place for the surburbanites to hit for a "night out on the town"... I saw some soccer moms there the last time I went.

This is the XO I was talking about - looks like similar names, because XO is such a creative name:

XO

This is the XO I was talking about - looks like similar names, because XO is such a creative name:

XO

Yeah, I was just going through ENVY mag and saw a review on the new XO Lounge on San Jacinto! :) Whoops. Here's their website.

Thanks for the heads up.

"Fans of fine cognacs, they named XO Bar & Lounge after the expression "Extra Old," a way of classifying the aged alcohol." Hmm.

90's is old rock? ? ?

Well, it ain't new! :)

I also heard some old Ozzy from the 70s or 80s while I was there...

well i went to the roof last week among other places. i'm there for 30 minutes and my buddies want to leave. so we do and I forget my freaking credit card. No big deal, i've done it many times before. problem is I check my account online (i had to leave for the weekend and didn't have a chance to collect it yet) and I have a $100+ tab .... yeah, I don't think so. watch out at the roof and no matter where you're at, don't ever forget your card. I'm hoping AMEX will take care of me though...I've never disputed an entertainment charge over a long, long history of partying on them.

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto!

You have to be careful, alot of places have a minimum charge of $100 if you leave without closing your tab out. Hope you get your charge refunded.

Oh, I forgot to post that I went to Whiskey Creek last weekend and there was a REALLY good lookin crowd. My date didn't like it though....he said the music was way too loud and he couldn't hear and/or carry on a conversation. Next time I'll just go with the girls. :)

Well, it ain't new! :)

I also heard some old Ozzy from the 70s or 80s while I was there...

Guess I'll have to stay clear. not into teenybopper places.

Musicman, there is no such thing as rock anymore. I don't think anyone knows how to play more than 3 chords these days (there are few exceptions).

for me there's almost no real "music" made today. people can't read nor play music. Most can't sing either. People with bad taste buy the crap and that is why they keep producing the same stuff.

Edited by musicman

Guess I'll have to stay clear. not into teenybopper places.

for me there's almost no real "music" made today. people can't read nor play music. Most can't sing either. People with bad taste buy the crap and that is why they keep producing the same stuff.

I hear ya. Did see Jude at the Continental Club last night though, great concert. One guy who can sing and a guitar.

The HBJ refers to this as a downtown location but its actually located in Midtown according to the address given.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

I just drove past that intersection during my lunch break and didn't really notice. I'm assuming that it's probably in the retail center on the left side of San Jac, facing north, although I could be wrong.