Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

i'll give it a try tonight - that is if it is still in business ;)

I'd love to see them carry out the whole 30's-40's theme, and hire waitresses who look and talk like Barbara Stanwyk. Sort of a film noir, Edward Hopper effect:

that would be awesome - maybe an incarnation (goodness knows how many that will be...) of this place will eventually do it

Why don't you give us a review Dream?

I went today for lunch and they had a pretty good lunch crowd. They have a lot of Greekish food. What do I mean by Greekish? Well, I had the lamb sandwich, but it was not serverd with the pita bread. The bread was kind of the a bun and very soft. I would say the sandwich was OK.

My friend had the chicken sandwich(wich had a lot of meat) and he said his was just OK also - his first two bites of chicken had a lot of grissle on it. My other friend had the lamb sandwich as well, and said he would not eat there again.

In my opinion this is an average place with average prices. I may stop by again and try something different.

The food was a little slow getting to us, but the waitstaff was friendly and prompt. We arrived around 11:15 and were the 1st ones there...maybe they had to warm up the grill.

The place looks like an old diner. I little bar area in the fron where you can order and eat, and they had booths to sit at. Very colorfull inside.

I can't really say there was anything special about the atmosphere. But is a differnet kind of place to eat. You know, not the same ole...same ole.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is a greek place or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I ate there tonight, there was only 1 other person in there.

It was kind of......different.

I decided against ordering anything that might challenge their kitchen, or be straight from the Sysco supplier. There was a lot of Greek or Turkish(?) influenced items on the menu so I ordered a gyro with fries thinking that might be something they would be better at preparing. My friend ordered something which apparently was their version of chicken fried steak, although I think it was lamb or something like that.

The fries were okay, slightly undercooked but still okay. His portions were good, but not somewhere I would go for anything resembling chicken fried steak. My gyro was good. The chicken was well seasoned and tender.

The service was good, although they were hardly challenged at that point. However, I will say they went above and beyond. They brought us complimentary Turkish hot tea and sugar cubes during our meal. They carried it on this hanging Turkish brass tray affair. After the meal they gave us an order of baklava (spelling?) that was really good, especially with the Turkish hot tea.

I have to say it was not the experience I was expecting in a diner.

They have a fairly extensive breakfast menu, & I don't know how any of that is, but for lunch or dinner I think it will depend upon what you order.

Edited by rps324

• 3 months later...

RIP

deco diner, h town diner, pierce street grill.

i hit the tri-fecta, a banner went up this week for all contents and property to be auctioned off in few weeks.

i still say the only way a restaurant makes it on this spot is a hot dog/taco air stream trailer or a drive thru smoothie king.

for the record all of you midtowners that talk about walking and supporting your midtown buisinesses on foot. i call bs and say no business can thrive in houston without appropriate parking. texans love their cars.

dream

for the record all of you midtowners that talk about walking and supporting your midtown buisinesses on foot. i call bs and say no business can thrive in houston without appropriate parking. texans love their cars.

dream

Well, it's certainly hard to argue with that. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that no business can thrive anywhere in the world without "appropriate" parking. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
RIP

deco diner, h town diner, pierce street grill.

i hit the tri-fecta, a banner went up this week for all contents and property to be auctioned off in few weeks.

This was in the Midtown e-newsletter from 4/16/06:

"They Really Are OPEN!

The Pierce Street Diner is open and waiting for you to come in and taste some real down home cookin'. Open from 7am - 3pm 7 days a week at 500 Pierce and Brazos. Need to know more? 713-654-8158."

????

This was in the Midtown e-newsletter from 4/16/06:

"They Really Are OPEN!

The Pierce Street Diner is open and waiting for you to come in and taste some real down home cookin'. Open from 7am - 3pm 7 days a week at 500 Pierce and Brazos. Need to know more? 713-654-8158."

????

I don't see how a business can survive with those hours. It isn't close enough to most downtown business for a heavy lunch traffic.

• 2 months later...

Looks like the next iteration is coming for this location. saw that it will be District 6 Grill soon. The District 7 Grill near me is always packed for lunch, hopefully the strength of that location will help it succeed in this spot. district7grill.com has the menu and some other information.

• 1 month later...

the District 7 Grill in midtown is now open. the website doesn't have anything on it yet other then "Opening July 2006". i wonder what the hours are...

so is there a District 7 grill on Hutchins, a District 6 Grill on San Jac, and now a second District 7 grill in midtown on Pierce?

the District 7 Grill in midtown is now open. the website doesn't have anything on it yet other then "Opening July 2006". i wonder what the hours are...

so is there a District 7 grill on Hutchins, a District 6 Grill on San Jac, and now a second District 7 grill in midtown on Pierce?

I heard they opened and needed to "fix some stuff" (from a guy at the District 7 Grill on Hutchins)... he said it was packed the first few days it was open.... I love District 7 in East DT... hope the new one is as good!

This was in this weeks HBJ about the Diner

"Deco Diner squeezes onto downtown tract

Two veterans in the local restaurant industry are planning to open a diner on a 13,000-square-foot triangular tract of downtown land at Brazos and Pierce.

Because of the extremely small size of the parcel, Bill Loftus and Nancy French had the diner constructed off-site and then brought it in on two 18-wheeler trucks, putting the pieces together on the site.

"I've been driving by that piece of land for the past 20 years wondering why someone hasn't done anything with that neat piece of property," Loftus says. "We're not going to be your typical Mel's Diner -- we're looking to blow people away."

Deco Diner is scheduled to open in the next three to four weeks and will offer hamburgers, salads and sandwiches, as well as daily specials.

Loftus and French are looking to open four additional Deco Diners in the Midtown and downtown areas. They say the diners will focus on downtown workers during the day for breakfast and carry-out lunches and on the growing downtown residential population for dinner and late-night orders.

Holy Cow! Nancy French is my neighbor and I haven't heard a thing about the diners. I'm going to knock on her door get the straight skinny and report back if there is any update. The more breakfast places the better. Nobody wants to fix breakfast on the weekend. One's a Meal was the best 24 hour breakfast joint Houston has produced - its now J.Jill on West Gray - how sad.

• 3 weeks later...

The new Dist 7 is very good. I eat there once a week except last week when I ate at the east side location.

I talked with the owners and they are thinking of doing breakfast on weekends at the downtown location. I also think they might try and stay open late on certain nights.

The new Dist 7 is very good. I eat there once a week except last week when I ate at the east side location.

I talked with the owners and they are thinking of doing breakfast on weekends at the downtown location. I also think they might try and stay open late on certain nights.

Great! I'll have to try this place. Any place that offers weekend breakfast in mid-town should do well. Most folks don't want to cook on weekend mornings as is witnessed by lines at Buffalo Grille managed by my brothers. If you have good food, good help, fast service and decent prices you've got it made. No one seems to care if they wait in line in 100 degree weather or babies screaming - just bring on the cofeee and grits!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I finally went to what must be the fourth try for this location, the District 7 Grill. I had lunch there and I must say that it was pretty good. I had the District Burger with Swiss and Mushrooms. The kicker was the bread. It was amazing, crispy and slightly sweet. I am thinking that this incarnation of the grill might survive as it has other locations around town.

I enjoyed the interior. It was not as small as I had imagined it would be. The booths are bright colors (turquoise and pink). Overall the service was friendly and prompt.

Go check it out HAIFers!

Thanks for the tip, WG. I admit that I forget the place is still in existence (even if under its fourth or fifth incarnation). The problem is that the building itself is small relative to its surroundings and it kind of sits out of the way, half burried beneath the elevated.

How are the prices? Can you get a good lunch for seven bucks or less?

I think they might be opening later in the near future. The owners have never had a place that I think could be a night joint so they are working out any kinks so that night might start off more smooth.

The tinted windows are a must or you would fry in that little place. and remove trees!? Really?

The tinted windows are a must or you would fry in that little place.

Unfortunate, as business will suffer due people having to wonder if its open or not. Perhaps a set of glass doors that are not tinted might make things look a little more open. Even with the entrance door propped open, with the tinted windows it is hard to determine if anyone else is indeed dining in the establishment. Doesn't make one want to try a new place if you have to wonder whether anyone else is eating there or not.

and remove trees!? Really?

YES! The building has very poor line of sight....So the simpler or less cluttered the outside appearance, the better.

Edited by MiDTOWNeR

None of their locations stay open late. It is not a late night diner for drunks either. I know the east location has never been open for dinner except maybe one day a week. I've been to the midtown district 7 during lunch and it gets plenty of business. I don't think that people are having a problem finding it.

If you look at the menu, you can tell its not exactly a stumble in at 2 in the morning, order greasy eggs kind of place.

• 2 weeks later...

I've followed this thread for a while and finally ate at the District 7 today with my sister.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised...the food was excellent and the staff/owner very friendly (almost overly so). I had the tuna burger, and it was extremely good. I will definitely be back.

The owner told me they are in the process of getting a liquor license and are converting the area in front to a patio with awning.

In the early afternoon today there was a steady stream of customers, and even saw two different people walk over from the Post Lofts area and pick up take-out (not a very Houston thing to do!)

The only downside was that afterwards my sister said the owner and waiter talked only to me and not to her...perhaps its a cultural deal (the owner is Turkish I believe). I did not notice but she said she was slightly offended.

• 3 weeks later...

We passed by Whiskey Creek last night (next to Escobar) but didn't go inside because it looked like no one was there. It's supposed to be an "upscale" country bar/club....just wondering if anyone has been and what it was like.

I've been pretty busy with school & haven't been out as much so if you've been to Epic & The Roof I'd like to know what you thought about them as well.

I went to Whiskey Creek for the first time this past Friday. It was packed with a pretty good crowd. They had dueling pianos and a DJ. The decor was pretty impressive. The crowd was your typical midtown crowd. The drinks were VERY expensive ($8 for Makers Mark and Coke).

I walked by The Roof and it was packed as well. Tow trucks were busy towing all the cars parked on the North side of the club when I walked by.

Have not seen Epic yet. Where is it located?