Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Wahlburgers opening in Midtown.

From Eater Houston

Is Houston the next location for a celeb-owned burger chain with its own reality show? The speculation is on about an outpost of Wahlburgers landing in Houston. Actor Mark Wahlberg and his brothers Donnie and Paul own the chain, which serves burgers, sandwiches, and milkshakes and has its own A&E reality show Wahlburgers.

Here are a few pieces of evidence: there’s an Instagram account created for Wahlberg Houston with no content posted yet. In the meeting notes of the Midtown Management District Board of Directors Meeting for April 4, there’s a mention that Wahlburgers is “finalizing negotiations to open a Wahlburgers Restaurant near Midtown Park.”

https://houston.eater.com/2018/7/24/17604666/wahlburgers-houston

Perhaps they will be located in the retail strip on the north side of Camden Station apartments? Never heard of this restaurant and don't anything about how large or small their locations are.

On 7/26/2018 at 9:58 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Really? One of the reason Grafitti's at Union St closed is because of the parking situation. Customers had no where to park with the Tyler Flood building going up and neighbors complaining of customers parking in the streets.

Midtown is the better location. There is parking, parking garages, and it's a walkable area in comparison to Union St and Washington Avenue.

Just what I’ve heard in passing. Also, Grafiti’s really sucked. Ha.

$18 for an over salted chicken fried steak. No thanks. 

Another note about the parking situation with regards to Grafiti’s: From what I understand, the owners were such jerks to the other tenants during build out that the landlord decided to create separate lots. They would have had a ton more parking if they weren’t asshats :)

13 hours ago, Sanjorade said:

Another note about the parking situation with regards to Grafiti’s: From what I understand, the owners were such jerks to the other tenants during build out that the landlord decided to create separate lots. They would have had a ton more parking if they weren’t asshats :)

Other tenants?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 10:34 AM, corbs315 said:

Couple things I noticed on the permitting website today:

Something called the "Social Beer Garden" at 3101 San Jacinto (appears to have been a series of failed clubs here before).

I found a website for The Gypsy Poet:

http://thegypsypoetstudio.com/

Looks like it's going to be an artsy cafe.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 11:00 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Social Beer Garden at 3101 San Jacinto (Houston midtown) is bar from a guy who owns Shamrock Pub in Humble. I would be surprised if this place survives in Midtown. The Kirby Group and the group with Pub Fiction have a grip on the Midtown bar landscape.

fXcbVfe.jpg

FEvlvml.jpg

2S5Dlxs.jpg

Guess the land owners had some legal issues is why this is taking forever

Edited by BeerNut

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 8:23 AM, phillip_white said:

I spoke to the people at the Dog Boarding/Training facility across the street and their realtor confirmed that a pizza place is going in at 2404 Austin.

This was on the Gypsy Poet Instagram story this morning:

https://flic.kr/p/PjenVG

Slow moving, but progress being made.

Little concerned about this one. The place looks dark and cleaned out, and we haven't heard anything from them in a while.

Also, there used to be signage for that gaming arena and now it's gone. I wonder what happened to this block.

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I wouldn't be too happy if this was next to me.

I wonder how long a partially constructed building can remain open to the elements and remain salvageable. Is there an expiration date on a building permit?

Also, would a realtor be obligated to disclose this aspect of the structure's history? Looks like it has a real head start on rotting materials and mold growth.

That area of Midtown is starting to get some sorely needed love. I love cycling in that area because of the general lack of fast cars and residentialness of it (makes for easy riding) but damn does it have a lot of empty building/lots. I think its a good sign for Midtown that small, seemingly forgotten buildings are getting in line for quick-ish refurbs, instead of getting torn down completely and thus taking a years to fill that space, to get the space back on the market. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 5:38 PM, Diaspora said:

Yup, the 3101 San Jacinto location has been, in the past, Club Empire and Club Myst, with dreadful results for nearby residents including a driveby in which 6 people were shot in May of 2015, when it was billed as Club Empire.  The nearby residents and businesses protested the TABC license in 2016 and the place shut down soon after.  

The Social Beer Garden (3101 San Jacinto) seems to be intent on keeping up that address's history of poor relations with its neighbors. 
Their music blares until well after 2 a.m. and they used portable generators (which apparently lack any sort of mufflers). Calls to the police go unanswered, even though it's obvious that the noise ordinances are being violated left and right. 
I hope they either start showing some consideration for their neighbors or go out of business.

• Like 2