Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, Urbannizer said:

This is quite the phenomenal turn of events, considering that you have land whose highest and best use is site assemblage for a residential tower instead being used for a two-story clinic. You have to wonder if HACS acquired the land a few years ago before it was worth what it is now and has to meet a certain time target for developing these.

I am not one of those people who hates the sight of clinics and rehab centers and churches and wishes that every block of Midtown could be a microbrewery with architecture resembling a crumpled aluminum can, but it is unfortunate that this compromises the prime block on Main fronting the new park. But if land values keep going up then economics will eventually prevail, although it may be ten years from now.

• Like 1

I've been to medical clinics plenty of times for care and I have never lived any of those places.  But, if this is where People who do live in those places can get care, then great!  This is a big city and veryone needs access to care.  Facilities like this, as well as schools of many different levels, make the city a better place for everybody.  A welcome, and apparently necessary, addition to the neighborhood, IMO.   

• Like 5

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, corbs315 said:

Speaking of residential, a development sign finally went up on the lot on the southeast corner of La Branch and Elgin.

unnamed.jpg

UPDATE 7/19/17: Per the Houston Permitting site, 4 residents have building permits now (Assuming this is 3203-3211 La Branch).

UPDATE 7/20/17: But not sexy enough for a new post. They broke ground on this yesterday apparently.

Updated photo

r7MmnRe.jpg

Around the corner...

4I8fqvv.jpg

UuaqG3G.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, corbs315 said:

Hey I know I posted about the funeral home across from HCC on Almeda earlier that it looked like it's been closed for a while...anyway there was some construction/demo equipment on the site yesterday. Maybe work is progressing on something soon?

On the demo list today. Wonder what's coming. Lot is owned by HCC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a permit filing for Wanderlust Houston at 4018 CHARTRES ST 77004. That turned up https://www.wanderstayhotels.com/

Is this the same hostel for Midtown that was mentioned on Swamplot a while back? I can't seem to find the old article.

Seems like a decent location and not too incredibly far from the light rail.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Found a permit filing for Wanderlust Houston at 4018 CHARTRES ST 77004. That turned up https://www.wanderstayhotels.com/

Is this the same hostel for Midtown that was mentioned on Swamplot a while back? I can't seem to find the old article.

Seems like a decent location and not too incredibly far from the light rail.

Yea I remember hearing about this too, I think it was originally “Wanderlust” and not “Wanderstay” hostel. I could’ve sworn the original news about it said the location was planned for McGowen St though. I’m sure there’s limited space there with the Caydon plans and Midtown Commons developing that block  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, _nataliepw said:

Yea I remember hearing about this too, I think it was originally “Wanderlust” and not “Wanderstay” hostel. I could’ve sworn the original news about it said the location was planned for McGowen St though. I’m sure there’s limited space there with the Caydon plans and Midtown Commons developing that block  

I could have sworn the same. In fact, I remember inquiring about which building was under consideration, since the plan hinted that it would be almost adjacent to the McGowen train stop, and the plans sounded fairly specific (sleeping 46 people).
As I recall, this was announced shortly before the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 8:21 AM, phillip_white said:

I would imagine that's going to be Caydon's leasing office until the tower tops out.

I saw that on yesterday's bike ride and at first thought it might be a mock up of the building but this sounds like a better use. They just need to weed out the homeless that hang out/live on the street north of the Caydon between the Art Supply.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:37 AM, phillip_white said:

Going in next to Midtown Common at what is currently the Fast Traffic body shop. Article says it should be open by late summer 2018.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/05/25/esports-arena-to-open-in-midtown-in-houston.html

Woah this is HUGE! Can we get a new thread for just that?

Edited by j_cuevas713

• 1 month later...

Couple things I noticed on the permitting website today:

Something called the "Social Beer Garden" at 3101 San Jacinto (appears to have been a series of failed clubs here before).

Something called "The Gypsy Poet" marked as a remodel on 2404 Austin (the old Core Church)

7 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Social Beer Garden at 3101 San Jacinto (Houston midtown) is bar from a guy who owns Shamrock Pub in Humble. I would be surprised if this place survives in Midtown. The Kirby Group and the group with Pub Fiction have a grip on the Midtown bar landscape.

Doesn't help that it's not close to any current establishments.   With the current success of all the open air bars and bier gardens how will they make this place more inviting and a destination?  

Yup, the 3101 San Jacinto location has been, in the past, Club Empire and Club Myst, with dreadful results for nearby residents including a driveby in which 6 people were shot in May of 2015, when it was billed as Club Empire.  The nearby residents and businesses protested the TABC license in 2016 and the place shut down soon after.